Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Merge contents of sequences

Re: How does the image matte effect work? 1 week, 3 days ago #178925

• Mizkreant
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Moderated: This was originally in a thread about another topic. I have joined it with schrauber's thread for ease of access - jwrl.

I now have two finished sequences I want to join together.

Here is Sequence 1:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Here is Sequence 2:

I want to add Sequence 2 into Sequence 1 at 15s in the timeline. If I try to drag it into the timeline, it will not create or add new tracks and will just overwrite everything starting at the 15s mark.

I don't understand the Lightworks paradigm. How do I assemble a finished cut out of various sequences/prints/etc.? Do I create a new project? Surely there must be a way to do this, even in the free version, otherwise there would be no point.
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: How does the image matte effect work? 1 week, 3 days ago #178929

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
As a matter of interest, what NLE are you used to work with?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: How does the image matte effect work? 1 week, 3 days ago #178930

• Mizkreant
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I only have experience with very basic consumer level NLEs. The last one I bought was Corel Videostudio X6. Before buying that I tried Powerdirector 11 and one other one I can't recall. I'm hesitant to buy another editor because Corel burned me. An update to Windows 7 rendered it inoperable. Even after removing the update, it would run but crash constantly. Since Corel was already up to Videostudio X9 or something at the time, they refused to patch X6. This left me without any video editing software.
The free version of Lightworks sounded powerful so that's why I'm trying to learn it. Maybe its too much but I don't have very many alternatives. I currently run Windows 7 because I refuse to "upgrade" to that piece of spyware called Windows 10. That means free versions of DaVinci Resolve or Hitfilm are out of the question. I could use Shotcut, but that's way too basic even for a project like this.

Obviously I don't have a film editing background, so some of the metaphors like bins/racks/prints/etc. I'm unfamiliar with.
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by Mizkreant.

Re: How does the image matte effect work? 1 week, 3 days ago #178931

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Thank you.

To merge sequences I wouldn't use prints, in particular not when effects are included because there are some issues, use sequences instead. It's possible to make copies of the entire sequence or of any marked section of sequences.

Lightworks track layout doesn't change dynamically based on some kind of editing action. You can either specify default sequence layout using "New sequence settings" from New Sequence commands of the Toolbox (only available Flexible GUI) or add audio and video tracks to an existing sequence from timeline menu "Sequence Commands.Tracks.Add multiple". Alternatively, you can open the sequence which has all needed tracks in the source viewer (left viewer) of Log mode and press B-key to create a new sequence and use all other sequences the same way as you would use clips in source viewer of Edit mode and use insert (V-key) to insert at playhead position of target. This works for the entire source sequence when playhead is far left and no marks are present or for any marked section of the source (three point insert/replace, the Lightworks way).
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by hugly.

Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 3 days ago #178932

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Moderated: This was the original thread starter, but linked back to the above posts. I have deleted that link and one further post that linked to this one - jwrl.

Mizkreant wrote:
... I now have two finished sequences I want to join together.

Here is Sequence 1:

Here is Sequence 2:

I want to add Sequence 2 into Sequence 1 at 15s in the timeline. If I try to drag it into the timeline, it will not create or add new tracks and will just overwrite everything starting at the 15s mark.

I don't understand the Lightworks paradigm. How do I assemble a finished cut out of various sequences/prints/etc.? Do I create a new project? Surely there must be a way to do this, even in the free version, otherwise there would be no point.

------------------------------------

hugly wrote:
... To merge sequences I wouldn't use prints, in particular not when effects are included because there are some issues, use sequences instead. It's possible to make copies of the entire sequence or of any marked section of sequences.

Lightworks track layout doesn't change dynamically based on some kind of editing action. You can either specify default sequence layout using "New sequence settings" from New Sequence commands of the Toolbox (only available Flexible GUI) or add audio and video tracks to an existing sequence from timeline menu "Sequence Commands.Tracks.Add multiple". Alternatively, you can open the sequence which has all needed tracks in the source viewer of Log mode and press B-key to create a new sequence and use all other sequences the same way as you would use clips in source viewer of Edit mode and use insert (V-key) to insert at playhead position of target. This works for the entire source sequence when playhead is far left and no marks are present or for any marked section of the source (three point insert/replace, the Lightworks way).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 3 days ago #178933

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
If you use sequences as a source, I recommend the flixible layout, because then you can see both timeines, the respective cuts, tracks at the same time. Also you can deselect there tracks in the source.

You should also create a new master sequence and paste the contents of your subsequences there.
Here is an example in flexieblen layout:
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 2 days ago #179001

• Mizkreant
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
How do I copy one sequence to a blank new sequence? Nothing seems to work. In fixed mode, dragging it into the blank sequence doesn't work because the original sequence has unfolded FX tracks and no video clips, so all that happens is that it copies the audio track, which is worthless.

In flexible mode, dragging and dropping doesn't do anything at all, and there's no GUI option to copy/move the sequence, so unless that can only be done with some obscure keyboard shortcut I don't know how.

As I type this I am simply trying to move all tracks in a sequence over by 15s and I can't figure out how to do it. Everything I try just elongates all the tracks. The manual says to mark and park and then drag as you would a single track but that doesn't work, it just moves one track.

If I finish this project I might be done trying to use Lightworks. You need to learn labyrinthine methods and obscure keyboard shortcuts just to do simple things. It reminds me so much of when I first learned how to use Photoshop. I was able to power through that and become competent, but I don't know if I have the patience to do that with Lightworks.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 2 days ago #179005

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Yes indeed, Lightworks isn't Photoshop and no, it can't be learned by trial and error, same as Photoshop in my view, as far I can remember starting with CS3 back in times.

Maybe we have presented too much options all at once? Let's continue step by step.

First, please forget about drag and drop to create additional tracks! As mentioned earlier Lightworks doesn't create additional tracks on existing sequences by drag and drop. This has to be done manually, prior to insert or replace.

Just to play around with speedy workflows. Switch to Project Contents Filter.Sequences, select the sequences to combine, right-click and execute "Make.Sequence of selection". Open the created sequence, how does that look, all in? Possibly the wrong order?

Edit: Please, please do not try, without knowing exactly what you're doing, to move around segments by drag and drop. Just answer the two questions and wait a minute for an explanation of the next steps.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179029

• Mizkreant
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
hugly wrote:
Just to play around with speedy workflows. Switch to Project Contents Filter.Sequences, select the sequences to combine, right-click and execute "Make.Sequence of selection". Open the created sequence, how does that look, all in? Possibly the wrong order?

Thank you. That got things going in the right direction. Now it looks like this:

Now on to the next set of problems:

How do I delete one of the starfield clips? When I try to delete one, it deletes both, I presume because they share the same name?

After that I need to move tracks FX1-6 to the left. When the combined sequence was first created, those tracks were way over to the right of the timeline. I was able to select and move them without issue. Now however, since they are close to other tracks, going into "trim mode"? (where you click on either side of the clip until the brackets appear) selects all tracks (as you can see in the screenshot). How do I select some tracks and not others?

Edit: Please, please do not try, without knowing exactly what you're doing, to move around segments by drag and drop. Just answer the two questions and wait a minute for an explanation of the next steps.

Don't worry, if something doesn't immediately produce the desired result I immediately undo it.
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by Mizkreant.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179030

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Tracks as expected, clip (sequence) order wrong?
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179037

• Mizkreant
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Sorry, I was editing when you posted so you probably didn't see the whole reply.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179040

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Yes, I missed the edits on your post.

There is no next set of problems at least not on my schedule. First lesson merging sequences isn't finished. Above you shouted out loud that even the easiest things don't work when you try them with Lightworks and Photoshop appears to you so much easier and now again you talk about problems.

You don't know the software that's the only problem, in my view.

Do you wish to learn guided interactive or do you prefer to read the manual?

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179043

• Mizkreant
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
hugly wrote:

There is no next set of problems at least not on my schedule. First lesson merging sequences isn't finished.

What do I still need to do?

Above you shouted out loud that even the easiest things don't work when you try them with Lightworks and Photoshop appears to you so much easier and now again you talk about problems.

I didn't say Photoshop was easy. I said it had the same steep learning curve when I first started using it. PS is similar in that there are many things that can only be done by keyboard shortcuts and not the GUI. Both are also similar in that their target audience is mainly industry professionals and not consumers, so basic workflow is confusing for the average person.

I didn't use the word "problems" to complain or sound hostile. Maybe it was a bad word choice on my part. What about "challenges"?

You don't know the software that's the only problem, in my view.

Do you wish to learn guided interactive or do you prefer to read the manual?

Yes, this is true and I don't deny that. The whole purpose of this personal project was to try and acquaint myself with the features of Ligthworks and its basic workflow/philosophy.

I can see how to an outside observer it seems as though I am not doing anything myself and constantly asking questions. I have been searching both Google and these forums extensively whenever I run into roadblocks but I can not find any relevant hits. The video tutorials on this site (and many on YouTube) are based on outdated versions that are drastically different.

I also downloaded the User Manual but that too has not always been helpful. I gave the example above about what it says to move multiple tracks at once. It says to 'mark and park' the tracks, move the mouse over the clips until it changes to a double arrow, and drag as you would to move a single clip along a track. This doesn't work, or at least it doesn't in this situation depending on context.

I sense you are getting upset with me now. Of course you are under no obligation to help me and you are free to just ignore me in the future.

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179048

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
I'm willing to help in detail if you're willing to follow my suggestions, otherwise I won't. To me it makes no sense switching to the next topic if the first isn't finished.

I showed you a way how you would merge a huge amount of sequences for example 80 scenes of a feature lenght movie in 10 seconds, what's left? How to sort them!

I assume your intention is to learn Lightworks and not to get exactly this one sequence finished and that's it?

Re: Merge contents of sequences 1 week, 1 day ago #179049

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Do not use drag and drop for everything.
The standard for precise and frame-accurate editing should be to accurately position the playback head and to use the functions under the viewers

(or the keyboard).
The misplaced playhead will also have been one of drag and drop issues.
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top