Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding image to video

Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #172930

• BarryIII
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
I want to add an image to my video in Lightworks 14.

I read the first few posts here but they didn't help because I don't know what or where "places" is and when I right click and select Track there's no "add video." There is a "group video" but it's grayed out and unselectable.

Maybe I loaded up my video wrong or something.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #172931

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
I strongly recommend that you look at the first few tutorials here. Click on the "Tutorials" button at the top of the page and check out the basics. The tutorials have been prepared with the flexible interface, but the principles are pretty much the same in both user interfaces.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #172932

• BarryIII
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Problem is that two people who tried to specifically answer this question in the other thread couldn't even help. Lightworks apparently isn't for people who care at all about usability. I'll probably pay for something easier.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #172934

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Your call, but I do strongly recommend that you have a look at the tutorials anyway. Your comment about not knowing where "places" is led me to make my suggestion. It wasn't a snide remark, I genuinely believe that you will find the tutorials helpful based on that question. Apart from the tutorials you should also check out the Lightworks v14 quick start guide. That will take less than ten minutes of your time and will likely answer your question.

I'm surprised that you came to the conclusion that neither user who posted with a problem there was helped. For the OP I can't guarantee that this was the case, but it's not at all rare for a user to find that their problem is solved and not return. The second user found the explanation helpful, and a third came in with additional information some months later.
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #172937

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
@ BarryIII

"Places" are locations for your media files, it operates much the same as the operating system's directory libraries. However, I suspect your question may be different to the one being addressed in that particular thread,

From your earlier posts in other threads, having a look at the Quick Start User Guide may also assist you. It's in downloads > documentation.

The link below goes directly to some of the better unofficial Lightworks V14 tutorials and these may also help you.

Note that ESH ICT uses "in" and "out", however,using mark and park (mark the "in" point, then park the playhead at the out point) is the standard Lightworks method and much faster, by saving a step.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGxqbtM7UZzRSsr_bpGtwwr2Mb_8-bQzU
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #173145

• BarryIII
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
Your call, but I do strongly recommend that you have a look at the tutorials anyway. Your comment about not knowing where "places" is led me to make my suggestion. It wasn't a snide remark, I genuinely believe that you will find the tutorials helpful based on that question. Apart from the tutorials you should also check out the Lightworks v14 quick start guide. That will take less than ten minutes of your time and will likely answer your question.

When two different instructions from two different people don't work that doesn't inspire confidence. There's a lot of content you're telling me to read that will supposedly be better than two specific answers. There's a school of thought that says an interface shouldn't require documentation. Still, I'm willing to struggle with it and search the forum for answers, and I've looked at some of the documentation in the past. I also keep my own custom note file on how to do things I've needed to do in the past in Lightworks that aren't intuitive. I don't feel like looking through that stuff at the moment and I'd likely try different software first.

I'm surprised that you came to the conclusion that neither user who posted with a problem there was helped.

I didn't mean that. I meant the member had the same question about the same version as me and the answers didn't help me.

BTW, I even watched a YouTube video and I saw a screen in the video with "Places" in the upper left but I didn't see it in my instance of Lightworks. I just opened Lightworks again and double clicked a project. I got a screen that gives the projects name in the upper left and the Room number next to it. Down the left side are tool icons. Then I tried "import clips or sequences" and chose another file I wanted to work on. The top left still shows only the project and room #, plus there's a transcode box that came and went, and there's a "Today" box under that but nothing says "places." I clicked those three horizontal lines to the upper left of the new box for another menu, but still, nothing says "Places." I clicked the cog wheels and got a menu of bin commands, and nothing says "places."

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #173147

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Lightworks allows you to work in a number of ways. However, like other professional NLEs, you do need to engage in a learning process to get the best out of it.

Specific answers can be given, but you only get one piece of information, while having a learning resource will provide the context of that information and to access aspects you may never have thought of. It also a common base of knowledge when advice is being given in the forum.

Unfortunately, you linked your difficulty to a thread which was mostly unrelated to it, which doesn't help when giving assistance.

"Places" is found in the import window. This is opened in the log tab in the fixed layout or the second icon down in the LHS toolbar in the flexible layout. The latter seems to be the one you're using ( fixed is the default, but sometimes the odd new install opens the flexible layout).

Lightworks gives you the choice of two interfaces, further details can be found here:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=142324&Itemid=81

This explains how you can switch layouts. The fixed layout should be easier for new users, although the intuitive is basically what you're used to. As a PC user an Apple Mac isn't that intuitive to me, but with a bit of time playing around I can use it.
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #173176

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
I just saw from your profile that you've been member of this forum since 2014. I think, as for an experienced user this should answer your initial question: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=7&id=172980&Itemid=81#172980
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 3 weeks ago #173190

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
I suspect BarryIII may not have used Lightworks much over the years.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 1 week ago #174636

• BarryIII
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
briandrys wrote:
I suspect BarryIII may not have used Lightworks much over the years.

Correct.

But come on, is "import sequences or clips from files" (the "second icon down in the LHS toolbar in the flexible layout") really distinguished well enough from "search for clips and sequences" (the fifth icon down) by that tool tip text? They look like redundant icons to me but the fifth one down had a familiar folder icon so I chose it.

What I ended up doing is using an online jpg to mp4 converter to make sub-second video, slow it down to the max in Movie Maker, save, and repeat twice to get long enough video, then merge with main video using Kizoa or aconvert.

My latest failed attempt was to import an mp3 file. Couldn't do it. Then I imported a video with sound using "import sequences or clips" and was able to see the audio bar but I could replace it with an audio file. Yes, I'm sure one of the instruction documents would help if read in its entirety but I like my solutions narrowed down more than that. And preferably a self explanatory interface.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 1 week ago #174644

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Are you going to start a discussion about different views about user interfaces people may have or do you have a problem to be solved?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 1 week ago #174652

• SKova
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hi BarryIII, you are looking to add an image to a video, are you looking to layer it on top of a video or for it to be the video? I use a static image at the end of many of my YouTube videos as an End Card as a PIP with the video. It is quite easy to do with the Top-Right DVE effect. There is also the Blend that I use quite a bit also.

If you have any example of what you are doing, maybe could point you to an example.

Re: Adding image to video 5 months, 1 week ago #174662

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
@ BarryIII

If you open the cog menu in the top right corner of the project browser page, where you selected the flexible layout, you will find "show hints". Selecting that may assist you.

"Places" is in "local files" tab at the top of the import window.

The search isn't redundant, it's for using metadata to find the project material that you need.

Lightworks isn't consumer software, so like other professional software you do have to check the manual or other training aids to find out how some procedure or other is is done. These programs tend to differ from each other. I've had to do this with nearly every professional program I've used.

I would suggest using the fixed layout, which uses a workflow method using tabs at the top of the screen. However, you should look at the quick start V14 video, Lightworks isn't the same as Movie Maker.

You seem to doing some complex procedures using Movie Maker and other software for what seems to be something that (on the surface) seems simple. In lightworks, you import an image (jpeg etc) by treating it like any other video clip. Before importing, you can select the duration that the imported image(s) need to be (longer than you need makes sense), you then follow the standard editing procedures.
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top