Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences

Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170773

• iansn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi! I know that we can add cue markers and add name and descriptions to it. These can also be searchable in its own cue marker search window.
I wanted to know if its possible to search those cue marker descriptions in the main "search for clips and sequences" section as well? Thanks
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170779

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Welcome.

I do not think that's possible.
Why do you need something like that?

With Cue Markers, we can name frams inside a Clip, a Sequence timeline, and so on.

In the "Project Content" you can find these Clips, Sequences, etc.
You can also divide a clip into several shorter Subclips. For example, you can name that scene and more in the Metadata, and later you can search for those scenes.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170780

• iansn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply.
I have multiple hour long videos in which i need to tag multiple similar concepts and would like to view them. Hence the need to mark and name them, if they had a search function across all videos it would be simple to find what i was looking for without having to needlessly make subclips of a finished product.
I tried to make Subclips but the metadata does not export into the finished video.
I was looking for something like this video @2:03
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by iansn.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170819

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
The search function of Lightworks includes searching for clip metadata based on logging database since years and it's been improved over time.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

It doesn't include searching for names of cue markers which might be a good idea for a feature request, but I don't understand exactly what you wish to see after such a search. How should results be displayed, what kind of information or objects should be created, how would you use the results?

Would you mind explaining in more detail?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170832

• iansn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for the reply.
My project includes reviewing lectures or interviews on similar topics. As i watch the interviews i use the cue markers and add notes/keywords to them about what is being discussed or demonstrated.
If there was a search function for the cue markers across all videos then i could compile or choose the best scene / answer and create a clip from the videos that contained those specific criteria.
I understand from the video link i posted above( ), it would display the entire video as well as the specific tags as searched for and when the tag is selected, it jumps to that particular frame in the video.

Also on Lightworks, 1)Data added to cue markers created on a particular project are not visible on a different project if that video is selected.
2)Data added to the subclips before being exported out are not available after being exported.

This post really captures the usefulness of having metadata available across the board blog.frame.io/2018/01/31/fcpx-metadata/

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170833

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
I see that you joined the forum yesterday.

I believe Lightworks and Editshare are well aware of the usefulness of metadata.

Im not quite sure, by posting those links, is your intentions to promote new FCPX features on this forum, or to place a feature request, or do you need information how to handle interviews on multiple reels with hundreds of named marked sections efficiently with Lightworks as it stands now?

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170834

• iansn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi Hugly, I apologize for any confusion. My intention as you put it, is to find a way to sort through all those reels and marked sections as lightworks stands now. Those links perfectly describe what Im looking for and was wondering if there was a way to emulate it in Lightworks or have a workaround for it.
I tried the subclips method of splitting up a video but the data does not export out. I rather not create multiple clips of a video just so i can search for it, i would rather like to search for those sections and when the need arises, create clips from them.
I tried to look for where i could place a feature request but unable to find the correct page yet.
Thank you so much for helping me through this.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170836

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
When it comes to cue functionality, I would recommend you to switch to Lightworks 14.1 (installing the beta in the separate program directory to keep Lightworks 14.0 available).

In version 14.1, many new cue features have been added (but not the global search).
But I must point out that LW14.1 changed the cue database so that they are no longer visible in LW 14.0, but only from version 14.1. For users of the free version will soon work anyway only LW 14.1.

In LW14.1, you can create range cue.
"Show Clip Cues" in sequences has been improved.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170837

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Before placing a feature request I'd suggest exploring the existing feature in more depth.

First, V14.1 has implemented ranged cue markers which are a very powerful to separate useful parts of the interview from parts to be cut off on ingest clip by clip. I'd suggest downloading and installing V14.1 to see what I'm talking about. To set a ranged cue marker, mark and park a section and create a cue marker.

I'd suggest trying this workflow with V14.1:

On ingest clip by clip, create marked ranges and give each a meaningful name and description which should represent thinkable criteria to search for later. When finished with a clip, create subclips based on cue markers, repeat for each.

Now search on subclips by Name and/or Description to create different searches. You can sort the subclips quickly by creating bins from searches and disabling Automatic positioning in Tile view. After sorting select all in the bin and "Make.Sequence from selection". This sequence represents a set of search criteria manually sorted, others can be created and used partially or entirely as source to build up multiple intermediate sequences (or the the target sequence) for further editing.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170840

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Just to point out the basic paradigm behind: Metadata search in Lightworks applies to complete objects, not to parts of objects. That makes deeper sense, because this way search results can be used directly as sources to be inserted into sequences for editing. Objects can be clips, subclips, prints, and sequences.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170847

• iansn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the workflow suggestion on V14.1. I followed the steps provided and the only step i was unclear was:

Whether i should add my keywords in name and description to the metadata section Or the cue marker section of the clips ?

My conclusion after creating the subclips was that we can search for keywords in all subclips based on data provided in the metadata section but not data in the cue marker section.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170848

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
The names entered in cue marker panel of the clip are used as names for the subclips when creating subclips. Those are retrievable with the search function.

I've just tested with Description of cue marker panel and it's visible as metadata in the cue markers panel of the subbclip, but it is not retrievable with the search function. Sorry, I wasn't aware of this.

That looks to me more like a bug than a missing feature..

.. but it could also be intended, I don't know.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170852

• iansn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for testing it out.
I think its a good workaround for me. I will be creating tons of subclips but at-least i can search for what i need

I would still like to put in a feature request to add the cue marker name and description in the main search function. Would you able to point me to the right forum thread for that?
Appreciate all the help you've provided!

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170860

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
iansn wrote:
...feature request ...

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=12&Itemid=81

An alternative workaround in LW14.1:

You can use the "Make" / "Sequence from contents" feature in the Project content to create a temporary very long Sequence, which is only needed to find cue.

In this Search Sequence, you then select "Cue Markers", right-click and activate "Show Clip Cues".

There you can now search, sort, etc.

Note, that inheritance has limits:
If you place cue in a clip, make subclips out of it and then insert cue there, and create a sequence out of it, then only the cue of the subclip can be displayed in the sequence.
Windows 10, 64 Bit

Re: Searching Cue Markers in the main clips and sequences 6 months, 2 weeks ago #170863

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Schrauber do you know a way how to search in text of Description of the cue marker itself (not in clip metadata) after creating a subclip, is there any hidden switch?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top