Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions...

First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158600

• Wojtek_B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hi Everyone

It's my first post and first use ever of Lightworks, so please be lenient with me and don't punish me if all or some of the topics I am gong to ask about have already been discussed (by the way, could you provide me with tips on how to actually find the exact topic I want to ask about in the Forum? The forum now has thousands of posts so I feel a bit intimidated by the sheer volume of information interspersed all around this Forum...)

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any way at all in Lightworks to create a short animation which will be a recurring theme (or an opening theme) of the series of videos I intend to make? Or do I have to buy anything supa-dupa expensive to have such a possibility? The animation I was thinking of would be a real animation, like in animated movies for kids, showing a guy driving a car along the road and then suddenly place-name signs pop up one after another, the guy rubs his chin and a question mark springs out of his head. Then the title of the series shows up. But if it is very, very difficult to do, or requires an enormous amount of time, or an equally exorbitant amount of money, then maybe there is something simpler I could do/use that Lightworks (so far a free version until I have the whole project ready) can offer?

2) How do I actually match the sound with the video, in other words how do I trim the audio to be exactly in line with the video? What I mean is this: let's assume I have one take/clip in which I say to the camera: "Hello, my name is Wojtek, I am from Poland, and I came here to find some assistance". I have a video clip of me saying this and a separate audio track with exact the same thing. Now, I have decided to trim the video (how do I do it?) to show me only saying: "My name is Wojtek and I am from Poland". How do I trim the corresponding audio so that it is exactly the same length and matches the video down to a microsecond? Let's take another example: Let's say I have the said video and I actually want the WHOLE audio to play (i.e. from "Hello" to "assistance") but midway through this audio I want to cue in another video, i.e. not me standing in front of the camera but let's say a crowd listening to some speaker. How do I do that?

3) In more "primitive", or much simpler, video editors, such as, for instance, Microsoft Movie Maker, it is possible to insert not just video clips in your story line/movie, but also photographs, and you can actually play them in such a way that they, for example, gradually become larger or move from left to right or from down to up while the audio is playing and the speaker says something. I do assume, therefore, that Lightworks must have a similar function, perhaps even better. If so, how can I insert photographs into the video narration and how do I make them move (e.g. enlarge gradually) while someone's speaking on the audio track? Also how to match this movement (e.g. enlargement) to be faster or slower depending on the length of the corresponding audio track?

I am sure I'm going to have more questions but these are the most important ones. I would be eternally grateful if you could either answer, or point me to the exact topic in this forum, or else provide me with some links where I can find the corresponding information.

With best regards and thanks

Wojtek
Poland

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158601

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158603

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
1- Lighworks does not do that. You might want to look at something like Toon Boom Harmony

2- There are many ways to establish sync. Professional productions use timecode or clapper slates. You can use either method with Lighworks. If you don't have matching timecode or a clap, you can use the trim tools to slip the sound until it looks like it matches the picture.

3- Yes, you can insert still photos and animate them. I prefer to import the still like a piece of footage and use either the DVE or 3d DVE to animate the still, other people like to use the Image Key.
post production is not an afterthought!

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158604

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hi, Wojtek.

could you provide me with tips on how to actually find the exact topic I want to ask about in the Forum

My personal fav: google for "<search terms> +site:lwks.com"

1) Is there any way at all in Lightworks to create a short animation

You may use video layers + dve/matte effects + keyframes for fx parameters. There are no builtin tools to draw primitives (shapes, etc), but you can apply FXs providing something similar.

2) How do I actually match the sound with the video

Clap during recording audio and video, then match clap (visually) between tracks. There is no automation until you use genlock and media with SMPTE timecode.

3) In more "primitive", or much simpler, video editors, such as, for instance, Microsoft Movie Maker, it is possible to insert not just video clips in your story line/movie, but also photographs

Import photos in a same way as videos. They'll be listed as clips. They will have assigned default length (AFAIR 5 secs, which can be changed).

You can enlarge pictures using DVE effects. You can change their duration using same timeline tools as for videos.

BR,
M
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158605

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
arniepix wrote:
1- Lighworks does not do that. You might want to look at something like Toon Boom Harmony

I've probably misunderstood Wojtek. I've answered him in a context of making an opening sequence, where some animation can be done with keyframing and other techniques. But Lightworks isn't the best tool for animation ("real animation").

BR,
M
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by gr00by.

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158608

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
1) is a simple blend method @ the rigth time, should be no prob. ("gfx above video")
s
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by lghtwrks.

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158639

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
There's a number of ways you can create animation. You can go for computer animation, for which Lightworks isn't suitable for creating or you use a camera (usually a DSLR these days) to shoot drawings or do stop motion of objects or people. You can import the latter into Lightworks as an image sequence.

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158745

• Wojtek_B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I would like to thank you all for your kind replies. Regarding point two of my original mail, of course I do use a time-stamp in a form of a light clap before actually speaking to the camera. What I was more interested in, is how do you TECHNICALLY, in Lightworks, insert the audio and clip it together with the video so that they match ideally? I know there is a separate screen or tab in Lightworks for editing audio but frankly speaking I don't know how to relate it to the video timeline. While I do realise that it is probably a very basic question (and most likely can be found in some tutorials to which I would be eternally grateful if you could point or direct me to), what I need is a step by step process showing how to insert a video clip into my timeline (for the ease of this explanation let's just say it is the very first clip but it may as well be tenth), and then a corresponding audio clip of the same length, and how to trim them together, or, alternatively, how to trim each of them separately and later match them up down to a tiny fraction of a second.

Regarding the animation, I liked the idea of photographing drawn "cartoon" and using each shot as one frame in a video clip but I would need to calculate how many images/photographs/shots I would need, with the frame rate of 25 fps, to create a smooth animation which would be approx. 10-15 seconds long. That, to me, as a beginner, seems a daunting task.

And thank yo about your tips regarding still images - I will need to check it up. And I'm sure I'm going to have more questions.

Best regards

Wojtek
Warsaw, Poland

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158748

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Wojtek_B wrote:
What I was more interested in, is how do you TECHNICALLY, in Lightworks, insert the audio and clip it together with the video so that they match ideally?

It sounds like a typical clip insert (v key) or replace (b key) on selected track (1 for toggling v1, 3 for a1, 4 for a2... and so on). Then cut/move clips to match a clap. So, in my optinion, you should learn the basics. After that the answer should be trival.

BR,
M

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158768

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Wojtek_B wrote:
What I was more interested in, is how do you TECHNICALLY, in Lightworks, insert the audio and clip it together with the video so that they match ideally?

I've attached a video which shows one possible workflow to sync video and separately recoded audio including trimming in Fixed layout. After one clip is synced you can select "Sequence Commands.Make.Sync" from timeline menu to create an object named "Sync" which can be used like a clip. That isn't mandatory because sequences can be used as source clips as well, but it might make organizing your work easier.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please note: Prior to import you have to set Pre-inget sync for audio-only media to a value which matches the frame rate of your video to ensure correct calculation of speed and duration of audio-only media (that isn’t shown in the video).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 4 months, 1 week ago #158802

• stina20
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for this video Wojtek - very helpful indeed!

Re: First time ever using Lightworks and so many editing questions... 2 months, 3 weeks ago #162583

• Wojtek_B
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you all for your valuable input, and in particular thank you for video concerning trimming audio and video - a bit daunting and terrifying it seems at first but hopefully once I do it once, I will be able to do it later with more ease. I will of course read the tutorial as well. One more question: do you know whether and how it is posible to equalize brightness and saturation on clips? As it turns out the day when I was shooting was very uneven when it comes to the amount of sunlight (and I only had one day to shoot 99% of the clips - outdoors) with a result that some of the clips are somehow shadowy and some other seem abbit overexposed and too bright (even though I have set the white balance and exposure). I would like to make those "dark" clips a bit brighter and to make those "almost overexposed" clips a bit less so. Is there any easy, automatic or semi-automatic way of ding so, or will I have to change it manually for every clip? And - first and foremost - how to do it? As always, your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.64 seconds
Scroll To Top