Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: QScan not using full CPU power

QScan not using full CPU power 3 days, 20 hours ago #235587

• andrega
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 20 hours ago
Hello,

I installed QScan One on a Windows Server 2016 Essentials machine with two 8 Core CPUs.
I tested several file formats and Templates but CPU usage never goes above 20% to 25%.
As a test I installed QScan Free on my Macbook Pro in a Windows 10 virtual machine and ran some of the same files and templates. The CPU was always maxed out.
Any ideas as to why QScan on the server machine doesn't use more CPU power?

Thanks,
André

Re: QScan not using full CPU power 3 days, 18 hours ago #235590

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 days, 18 hours ago
Hello,

I have no experience with QScan and doubt that others have, because QScan is brand new on this forum. However, comparably low CPU usage when encoding/decoding video on server type multicore CPUs (read: Intel XEON) with Lightworks is a known phenomenon. The reasons/causes are unknown.

It might be helpful if you could share your computer details. Perhaps there are people who have a similar configuration and can share their experience?

What I would do is comparing the systems with a common video converter, e.g. Handbrake, with the same media and settings, but not only to measure the CPU usage, but also the encoding performance (duration and speed).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 days, 18 hours ago by hugly.

Re: QScan not using full CPU power 19 hours, 12 minutes ago #235769

• QScan-Admin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • 19 hours, 12 minutes ago
Hello Andrega,

Just by seeing your machine specifications, that CPU usage is normal. Note that some codecs do not really require more CPU usage to perform the decoding/analysis. Even if you add more cores to your machine, the decoding will not be faster, since you are using a high end machine.
Using a single 4 core or 8 core machine will use more of your CPU.

QScan Pro and QScan Max allows you to configure the analysis speed, that in the end configure the CPU usage. The free version does not have this capability and the default analysis speed is set to "high". QScan Pro and Max have the option for "very high" intended for machines with 12 cores or higher.

But note that even with that setting to very high, "light" codecs will never use your CPU to the max.

Hope this is of help.

Re: QScan not using full CPU power 11 hours, 55 minutes ago #235788

• andrega
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 hours, 55 minutes ago
Hi,

I understand that not all codecs are optimized for high CPU usage but I tested QScan Free on a 13 years old MacPro 2 x XEON 4 Core with a Bootcamp install of Windows 7 and it was still twice as fast as the HP 360p machine with 2 x XEON 8 core CPUs and Windows 2016 Server. And it was using between 60% an 90% of the CPU. I used the same file and the same template. So I still think there is something not right on the HP machine.
I also tested Handbrake, as suggested by hugly, and while I know that it is a very different application, it uses all available CPU cores, working on the same file.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top