• Gold Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Return at least export to avi !!!
The topic has been locked.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #61954

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
From my understanding open source doesn't necessary mean free, although most such software actually is. With some open source software you have to pay a subscription.

You can also export the archive, so that can be used to render out the edit. Although easier with Lightworks, there may be a possibility that someone could create an open source render software.

You could regard the monthly subscription as going down to quick snaps to get your digital photos printed. Given the cost of producing even on a low/no budget film, this gets into the petty cash area of costs. You can spend as long as you want editing and then take out the subscription. This seems to strike a good balance.

There are a number of open source supporters who have been involved since the Lightworksbeta V10, I'm sure they'll voice their concerns and how the released free model fits in their thoughts. I'm not unsympathetic to the the free user having to do a lot of transcoding etc. although a fair number of new users seemed to need guidance.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #61965

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I've noticed over the past year or so an enormous amount of Forum contributor's time taken up supporting new users attempting to import non standard, variable frame rate video sources from various 'game play' recorders. Perhaps they search 'free video editing software', arrive at Lightworks, install the programme, expect it to work 'right out of the box' with no prior reading or research then they ask the usual 'How long is a piece of string?' type questions before shuffling off, disillusioned. Perhaps they should have been recommended other more suitable software at the outset.

Panz writes:
And at last i can't avoid the comparison. In my view, blackmagic is a company much like editshare. But everybody seems to know them much better than they do editshare. That is mostly because they know their crowd(audience-market however you call it). And they haven't announced anything opensource, but they give their king software in a free version, with very few limitations. Surely there are more to it, but that is a main difference.

Whilst I and many regular Forum contributors appreciate the time and effort Panz has spent writing his well argued piece, I cannot agree. Whilst Blackmagic Design do have a similar pricing model for the 'Resolve' software, they have a camera (or three) to sell and promote. Cameras are very 'sexy' and the very hint of a new model will generate a huge industry buzz. You only need to take a look at the 'most popular' stories published by RedSharkNews to see that cameras create popular press. If Editshare were to market a new and innovative camera in conjunction with the Lightworks NLE, I think you would see a similar reaction but at the end of the day, I'll bet you would be surprised to learn just how few people at Editshare are fulltime involved with designing, coding and marketing Lightworks. For a relatively small company, this takes time and costs money.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #61976

• Thejungle
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Please don't tell me EditShare is a small and poor company. Becouse you should go and check the spotlight to see that many many professionals and hollywood studios are using Lwks for editing. And they surely use Pro version, no doubt! This is a huge money if Pro version had much professional capabilities then free (no making free "useless", like now), making it a bit expensive part of hardware like e.g Resolve is. And they have another parts of hardware they make money on!

Come on peaple! We say something, we do it! There were a "roadmap" section somewhere on this site with "Open-source" on it, it is gone now! You can't find it! What it means for us? I don't want to use word "disappointment" but some kind of "bad surprise". Think for yourself.

Now no talking about Open source. 720p? Hmm... In a days when 4K is coming in this place we have super option to export in 720p? For smartphones? This is becoming not exactly a free editing software. Just like someone said - free trial.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Quickly think about DNxHD. You didn't get it for free. But a free version could have any sense for filmmaker who wanted to deliver a good quality without those ugly compression squares everywhere! You could pay those 50 bucks to Editshare and have a big potential. I was wondering to buy it, but was collecting money until now. Think how many peaple have done it and now they have thrown money in the grass! How do we call something like this?!
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by Thejungle.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #61978

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Now no talking about Open source

The roadmap is unchanged. It is and always has consisted of the following four stages :

• Free Windows version
  • Pro Windows version
  • Linux and Mac versions
  • Open source

We're currently at the third stage.
Lightworks Development

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #61990

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I suspect your definition of huge money may be rather different to that in the real world of film production. Currently AVID is the main player in Hollywood and they're having financial problems.

As mentioned, post production software doesn't have the instant attraction of a new camera. So far, there hasn't been an alternative financial model put forward that can enable Lightworks to to match Premiere and FCP X in deveopment. There are a number of ways it can be financed, one could be by offering services, perhaps this could be argued to be providing the licence to use various codecs.

So far, Editshare hasn't rejected their move to open source and so far they been good on their word in moving along that road map, if slowly. However, I've noticed open source seems to mean different things to different people.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #61997

• Matt Sandford
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
All along we have made it very clear our four stage plan:

Stage 1. Make a Free version of Lightworks available
Stage 2. Offer a low cost paid for version of Lightworks
Stage 3. Make Lightworks cross platform (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)
Stage 4. Open Source Lightworks

This has not changed and as you can clearly see we are well into Stage 3. Lightworks is now available as a release on Linux! This is no mean feat by such a small devoted team and that really should be taken into consideration. The Mac version is also about to see the light of day, so the team has been incredibly busy with cross platform work not to mention improving Lightworks for new and existing users.

Back in 2010 when we launched the first public Beta we had no idea the phenomenal interest that would be surrounding the product. We were simply overwhelmed. You only have to look back a few years and see the ground we have covered in such a short space of time but we cannot do it all at once.

There has to be a trade off between the Free and the Pro versions. The product has to make money somehow otherwise it will cease to exist. EditShare is a business and whilst it does offer a version of Lightworks for Free, it does not give everything away. The Free version has changed over the years and it will continue to change into version 12.

Please don't forget that the Free version now imports all the codecs natively, which were previously restricted along with the titling effect. So to say Lightworks is not a Free editing application is unfair. The MPEG4/H.264 export option in the Free version should give most users exactly what they need a small high quality exported file they can share online and with friends easily. If you want more choice for export you can purchase one of the Pro payment options available.

I will make sure that an updated Roadmap is uploaded on the site. I apologise if information is not clear or has been sketchy, this is something I will be changing over the coming months.

Matt
Lightworks Product Manager

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62003

• Thejungle
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Thanks Matt! I don't want to attack the developers or the company with my thoughts. I don't want to be mean, but to be honest - this what you do atm with all those new licences is a clear denial to saying that free vs Pro version is a full spec, "but just a lack of few codecs support". Until now it was true - everyone could use Lightworks even in full scale production, buy DNxHD and have a great occasion to produce a film. Now even if I did it, my DNxHD licence has no value and money are spent for nothing, aren't they? It would be good, but - just let ppl purchase this DNxHD licence, and I think a lot of them will be just fine, including me.
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by Thejungle.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62005

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Sounds like you are confusing AVCHD with the additional DNxHD license?
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62020

• Thejungle
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
ozsteam wrote:
Sounds like you are confusing AVCHD with the additional DNxHD license?

Oh no.. That's right! I don't know why I have made such a stupid mistake! Thanks, and sorry!

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62032

• dixie.fever
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I'd like to stress that the point here is not about the price of the pro version, which is indeed very affordable, but of trust.
No serious editor I know of will consider doing a project on a software that is limited in exporting to 720p h264 only. To suggest that the inconvenience of limited import formats is somehow comparable to the crippling nature of no lossless/uncompressed export options is downright disingenuous in my opinion.
You cannot deny that without the allure of a free and open source version EditShare would have had a much harder time generating such an active community of supporters and free testers, and now it seems that the 'free' version would be little more than a glorified demo for any serious use. It just feels like a classic 'bait and switch' strategy.
It's a real shame, because as a commercial project LightWorks definitely still has a lot going for it, but as I said this is an issue of trust not of price

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62033

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
dixie.fever wrote:
I'd like to stress that the point here is not about the price of the pro version, which is indeed very affordable, but of trust.

I am considering that issue with respect to the "Lifetime" license.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62038

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I suspect the testers are a mixture covering everything from the open source supporters to highly experienced editors who have used Lightworks over many years. There was quite a bit of debate in the beta testing forums over this change to the free version. 720p is better than the first export proposal and at least it enables those many people who want to edit their videos for use on line.

I don't think a serious editor would dream of not planning their workflow and Lightworks free isn't limited to 720p, although it is in that mode. However, a short term one month upgrade enables the editor to export all the codecs from the free version that they've been working on. This enable the editor to operate at minimal costs.

The reason is that the free version no longer has the import limitation is that it was causing newcomers difficulties. You'll find many enquiries in the forum. Lightworks is commercial software, so someone has to pay for the codec licences, therefore Editshare has to do a balancing act. If they've done a good one may depend on the direction you're coming from, but in purely practical terms it seems to make sense. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone all of the time.
Last Edit: 5 years, 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62040

• Thejungle
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
briandrys wrote:
I suspect the testers are a mixture covering everything from the open source supporters to highly experienced editors who have used Lightworks over many years. There was quite a bit of debate in the beta testing forums over this change to the free version. 720p is better than the first export proposal and at least it enables those many people who want to edit their videos for use on line.

I don't think a serious editor would dream of not planning their workflow and Lightworks free isn't limited to 720p, although it is in that mode. However, a short term one month upgrade enables the editor to export all the codecs from the free version that they've been working on. This enable the editor to operate at minimal costs.

The reason is that the free version no longer has the import limitation is that it was causing newcomers difficulties. You'll find many enquiries in the forum. Lightworks is commercial software, so someone has to pay for the codec licences, therefore Editshare has to do a balancing act. If they've done a good one may depend on the direction you're coming from, but in purely practical terms it seems to make sense. Unfortunately, you can't please everyone all of the time.

+1

Re: was Looking for FREE video software 5 years, 8 months ago #62064

• Panz
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
@ozsteam

just to clarify, i wasn't comparing the two companies, rather their marketing strategy. Blackmagic said that they will give their main software as free in order to attract people(and color correction was a niche market) and sell the rest of their products(not just cameras). And so far it worked.

Editshare said that they will open source their software, in order to attract more developers and i guess have the advantages of an open source project(community based, addons and so on) and sell equipment(which they haven't). But they haven't clarified how they are going to make money out of it(maybe sell conssoles and introducefew different models with cheaper prices?, sell video cards, raid racks or something? that consumers will need and could buy in a normal price range)

With this move they seem to allienate themselves with the open source community and trying to lure a new crowd, noobs, youtubers and so on(people who don't care about editing, as an art, but just want to make their videos). Why do that? Do people making youtube videos care if it's open source or not? No, because most of them are not coders and will not contribute anything in lwks development.

And the sad part is, as i read in another thread, that people like khaver who has contributed a lot in this community, even coding effects, said that he will keep an eye on lightworks but not an active role as he used to have. Lightworks needs people like khaver in order to build a healthy community around it, and it needs to keep a good profile with the open-source community for the time when it will become open source. The heavy export limitation doesn't help with that but even more the no-limit import makes community work such as the eyeframe converter seem redundant.

Sorry if this is not as well argued as the first one, but i am having a bit of a headache to structure it better.

i do hope that editshare succeeds in their roadmap and in creating a community around lwks and a healthy development enviroment that is hopefully open-source.

and a last thought, since editshare is not as big a company as people might think, it would be nice to introduce the developers of lightworks(somewhere in the website) because imo people may think that they are dealing with a multimillion faceless company that aims only for profit.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top