Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage

audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157258

• szisziszilvi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Hi,

lightworks would be a wonderful tool. Seriously, I can see that I would just love it.
If...
if it could deal with audio and video.
In fact it seems that it eats up some memory or honestly I don't know what, but the video and audio gets out of sync by time. However, a close-open helps... most often...

Ok, I don't have a gamer laptop, but I think my HP 250 G5 Notebook PC should be enough at least. Not for a superhigh quality video, not for a superlong one, but a 5-7 minutes long video based on a set of clips created by a nokia lumia 735, plus some royalty free clips downloaded from free stocks should not hurt. Or maybe that is only my thought. But Openshot does the stuff on linux for the same needs without too big issues.

I was so impressed about the look, the way how lightworks treats video editing, and here I am going back to the old-good openshot because of this single thing: lightworks can't get along with video-audio sync.

Guys, fingers crossed that you'll solve it. LW was the first tool for which I seriously considered to purchase for the pro version, which is form an everyday person from a Central European country... we both know it is a real certificate. but as long as this is not solved this money would be just wasted.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157259

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Hi,

I'm sure that Editshare will appreciate your feedback.

As another excited user of Lightworks I'm interested in bringing you back onto the right track.

I believe next release of Lightworks (coming soon, hopefully) will fix a lot of audio related issues, but I strongly doubt that it will be possible to edit footage recorded with Nokia Lumia 735 (when using standard recording-software) natively.

There's an easy fix for that: Transcoding with third party software prior to import.

Are you interested?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months ago by hugly.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157260

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 8 months ago
Lightworks can easily handle the video and audio sync when editing a feature film, so I'm not sure why you should think it's a general issue.

Regarding your sync issue, unfortunately, you're not providing enough information. Please follow the directions in this sticky, so that users can see the technical details of your video.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

However, if it's you running into difficulties when editing that's a different issue that can only be addressed by watching the video tutorials and practice. You're more likely to introduce sync errors when drag and dropping, so care needs to be taken.
Last Edit: 8 months ago by briandrys.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157480

• szisziszilvi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months ago
I've tried to convert videos first and use lightworks after that. As far as I could investigate the point was that my phone uses variable frame rate. Indeed, I checked with MediaInfo, its just _around_ 30 fps, so I converted things to constant 30 fps. But after a while lw keeps having the same issue: audio and video is slightly out of sync. And then I close LW application, re-opene, and I experience no issues. For a while. Like 1 hour or so. And when I became suspicious about the pattern I tried to close-open lw again and import the original recorded video, and funny enough I experienced no issues with them. I wish I could record any kind of system data and send to developers the data when the sync issue starts.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157481

• szisziszilvi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months ago
MediaInfo result:
General
Complete name : C:\Users\szisz\Documents\eloadas.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 1.65 GiB
Duration : 13 min 20 s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 17.7 Mb/s
Writing application : Lavf57.25.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=15
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 17.5 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.281
Stream size : 1.63 GiB (99%)
Writing library : x264 core 149 r2802 8c29742
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=15 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=15 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=21.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range : Limited
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 227 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 21.7 MiB (1%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157512

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months ago
Please try transcoding your mobile phone recordings to an industry standard intermediate format instead of AVC. I'd suggest using this procedure to transcode with Eyeframe Converter to MPEG2 I-Frame HD.

It's possible to replace already imported MP4 files on OS level with transcoded files (same name and extension, same location) with Lightworks shut down, but you should do that only with files which have a constant frame rate (those already converted to constant frame rate, like the one above), otherwise timing problems on cut points or sync issue between audio and video may occur.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 8 months ago #157534

• szisziszilvi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 8 months ago
ok, I'll certainly will try and I'll give feedback. For this I need a couple of days, unfortunately I can't do it right now, but hopefully I'll have a bit of time over the weekend. Or next week.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163123

• szisziszilvi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi, sorry for the delay in the feedback.

So guys, let me withdraw my complain, your workaround with eyeframe converter works perfectly!

Though, it would be still nice if lightworks could deal with variable audio sample rate by default, as long as the workaround works, I will be a happy user of lightworks.

Thank you so much for your help!

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163127

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
@szi... – I think your implication of a shortcoming in Lightworks is a little harsh. To say that it is a “workaround” to convert source material from a phone to constant frame rate is like saying putting gasoline in your car’s gas tank is a workaround to filling it with water.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus
*JVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by geomcd1949. Reason: spelling

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163147

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
szisziszilvi wrote:
Though, it would be still nice if lightworks could deal with variable audio sample rate by default, as long as the workaround works, I will be a happy user of lightworks.

Just to explain a few details in order to avoid misunderstandings:

Variable audio sample rate doesn't exist in standardized digital audio formats. Sample rate of audio is always constant (e.g. 44.1 kHz as CD standard and 48 kHz as DVD standard). The bitrate can be variable. Lightworks supports audio and video formats with variable bitrate, but not VIDEO formats with variable FRAME rate.

Most mobile phones record in variable frame rate mode and they use highly compressed codecs (h.264). Highly compressed codecs put heavy load on the CPU when editing and are not well suitable for fluent video editing, especially on low powered hardware. Variable frame rate isn’t supported, at least not without the risk of drifting audio.

You’ve fixed both problems by transcoding to a so called intermediate codec - MPEG-2 I-Frame HD - that’s gasoline for NLE’s.
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163164

• szisziszilvi
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
oh, indeed, sorry for the wrong wording.
on the other hand, I would still consider the need for conversion as a workaround, since I started video editing a few years ago with openshot. That is not as advanced as lightworks, but quite good for basic operations for which you would use a NLE. Openshot had no issues with variable frame rates.

Also, shotcut works fine without any transformation of my mobile recordings.

I'm not saying openshot or shotcut would be real alternatives for lightworks. I feel the difference, now that the issue is solved, I will hardly ever use them again. But at least a built-in transforming option would be nice that would prepare my recording for work in LW. Using a different software is a workaround from user experience's perspective, for it all looks like "hacking" and gives the feeling that it's not a stable solution. For me. If not for you, guys, then we are just different happy users of LW.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163165

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
szisziszilvi wrote:
a built-in transforming option would be nice that would prepare my recording for work in LW. Using a different software is a workaround from user experience's perspective, for it all looks like "hacking" and gives the feeling that it's not a stable solution.

Yes.
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: audio, video out of sync after an hour of usage 5 months, 3 weeks ago #163167

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Just as an aside, I notice that on the latest Vegas Pro V15 build, "HEVC files produced by iPhone7 and iPhone8 are now properly supported and no longer show black frames" I assume that it renders these out, converted to a constant frame, as part of the smart rendering import feature or as a iPhone import option.

www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-2-build-261--109529/
Last Edit: 5 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top