• Page:

TOPIC: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video

Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 1 week, 1 day ago #210928

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Hello, everybody,

Very simple question: I have SBS (side-by-side/Left-Right) 3D video, 2560x720. I don't necessarily need Lightworks to show me a single image, seeing both is fine, but I do need to know how to import the video and export it in the same format.

Thanks!

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 1 week, 1 day ago #210931

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Hello,

You can import it, but you won't be able to export 2560x720. The closes available format with image sequences is DCI 2k 2.39:1 (aka Cinemascope). You would see black bars on top and bottom. After export you would have to crop the video and merge the audio with third party software, e.g. ffmpeg, which shouldn't be that hard.

2560x720 a pretty uncommon format how has it been created?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 1 week, 1 day ago #210935

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Hi, Hugly,

It was generated through a 2D to 3D conversion program from a 1280x720 source. I could pretty much use any kind of input for that program. Lightworks doesn't have any way to manually adjust output format?

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 1 week, 1 day ago #210937

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
No, currently not, unfortunately.

What kind of display or viewing device do you use for watching the final video? For watching side by side stereoscopic on 16:9 displays, I would have thought it's more common to use something like this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 1 week, 1 day ago #210938

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Yes, that's a compressed image. I'm trying to maintain the resolution (although, frankly, the content I'm using doesn't need it). I might have to look into that, though, if that's the only solution. But you don't know of *any* way that I can manually adjust the format?

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 1 week, 1 day ago #210939

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Sorry, didn't notice you'd already answered that last question.

It's unfortunate that LW doesn't allow a way to manually set format. Would be helpful.

Thanks!

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 6 days, 17 hours ago #211004

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 6 days, 17 hours ago
I wonder if you could import your video and then use a DVE or 3D DVE to crop or zoom the image into a single 1280x720 frame for one side of the image? If you need to extract the 2 views, you could then duplicate the sequence & simply change the crop or zoom to the other side.

About 12 or 13 years ago I worked with someone who built his own rudimentary 3D system. We played double wide movies of 2560x720 out from a Mac Pro to 2 projectors that were set up as a single double wide desktop. We aligned the 2 projectors over each other using a grid I quickly threw together in Illustrator. At one point, I helped him build a new projection screen by stretching muslin over canvas stretchers (my idea) and painting it with silver aluminum paint (his idea). It worked reasonably well, but it wasn't built to any type of standard that was in use at that time, so it was of very limited value.

Even back then in the mid-aughts, the standard side by side (or over/under) format was to squeeze (or stretch) the left & right views into a single, standard width video or cinema frame to match the playback system. Most 3D projectors or monitors could then extract the 2 views and play them back in the device's native 3D format.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 6 days, 17 hours ago #211005

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 17 hours ago
Hi, Arnie,

That's what I've decided to do: Run the format at 1280x720 and vertically scale the image up to fill. Then, if need be, I can use a converter to resize to full, 2560x720. Seems to work for the content I'm using, and, yeah, most systems can resize automatically.

Thanks!

D

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 6 days, 16 hours ago #211009

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 16 hours ago
danpersons wrote:
That's what I've decided to do: Run the format at 1280x720 and vertically scale the image up to fill. Then, if need be, I can use a converter to resize to full, 2560x720.
This will loose half of the resolution of your 1280x720 originals and resizing afterward won't bring the discarded information back.

Since you run the Pro version, I'd suggest considering the dimensions 1920x1080 (16:9 HD TV), i.e. left and right eye upscaled from 1280x720 to 1920x1080 and squeezed side by side horzontally by 1:2 to 1920x1080, if your software allows doing this.
Last Edit: 6 days, 15 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Importing and Exporting SBS 3D Video 6 days ago #211034

• danpersons
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days ago
Hi, H,

I'll keep this in mind. Right now, the quality of the content is such that the loss of resolution is not going to seriously impact the final product. But thanks!

D
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top