• Page:

TOPIC: VR top/bottom stereo exporting

VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206341

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi there,

I have been doing a 360 stereo VR project. I have rendered the L and R separated in 4K from Blender and import the files into Lightworks. Everything is fine, the files are recognized as stereo pairs. However, I cannot find the option to export top/bottom format which is required for the Oculus and youtube VR. am I missing something?. I can do this process in Fusion with the two separated images but it is one step more that I would like to avoid.

If this option is not available in Lightworks, it would be good if it is added since is the only missing point to edit the VR projects in Lightworks.
Dell G5 Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz × 12, 8G RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2 6G VRAM, Fedora 28

Lightworks 14.5

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206342

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello,

Lightworks supports a set of classic stereoscopic formats for 3D cinema, including side by side, but as far as I'm aware of neither a top/bottom format nor Youtube VR, currently.

I gather Oculus supports also side-by-side stereoscopic. Why do you need top/bottom?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206343

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello hugly,

as far as I know, and I have tested the top/bottom format, is the one supported by Oculus and VR Youtube. Also, it seems that is becoming the standard for VR since the images need a 2:1 aspect ratio, so top/bottom ends up creating square frames. If the frames have this square format L(top)/R(bottom) it is only needed to add the metadata in order to youtube and Oculus recognize the video as stereo VR. There is a python application that embeds the metadata in the video. So in order to edit VR with Lightworks I see two requirements: 1. the have a format with an aspect ration of 2:1 (for instance 3840x1920), and 2) to export stereo top/bottom. There are possible other ways of doing it including the side by side format, but I have no Oculus with me know, and the Top/Bottom was the form it worked when I tested it.
Dell G5 Intel® Core™ i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz × 12, 8G RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2 6G VRAM, Fedora 28

Lightworks 14.5

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206344

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
why not request this as a new feature by posting here?
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!
Last Edit: 1 month ago by arniepix.

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206345

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Diemati wrote:
There is a python application that embeds the metadata in the video.

I suspect the python program is the Spatial Media Metadata Injector?

I know a little bit about Youtube VR and 3D cinema, but have no clue about Oculus and related formats and workflows.

What tools do you use to capture 360 degrees stereoscopic VR and what apparatus does one need to watch stereoscopic pictures, VR or not, on Youtube?
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206346

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi I will request the feature. Yes, the python program is the Spatial Media Metadata injector. I am pretty new to VR too. I have not captured VR, but it seems that is the same 2:1 Aspect ratio images spherically deformed. I have generated the images from blender since I am making a virtual gallery with cartographic maps while a voice relate a story (that is why I would like to editing with the sound). It is very simple, but a good project for starting. In blender I have set the camera type as panoramic and panorama type as equirectangular, and it render with the spherical deformation of the 360 cameras.

Lightworks 14.5

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206372

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thank you for the information.

I found a nice 360 VR | 3D Stereoscopic Demo captured in 8K with apparently not so cheap equipment, as the comment tells.

With 3D content, Youtube appears to show a switch in a sub menu of settings for Anaglyph 3D mode, which allows watching 3D on a regular computer display with simple and cheap red-cyan glasses.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Producing 360 VR stereoscopic material in acceptable quality doesn't end, but starts with 8K, from my point of view, and watching 8K on Youtube fluently needs a fast internet connection.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: VR top/bottom stereo exporting 1 month ago #206384

• Diemati
  • Edu User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 month ago
yes you are right, 8K is ideal, and you are right also about the fast internet connection. All the online videos that I watched from Youtube, Discovery, etc.. in the Oculus looked crap because the internet connection where I am at the end of the world. However they still achieved the uncanny sensation that the technology offers.

YouTube recommends a resolution of 7168x3584 or higher, up to 8192x4096, which required a frame of 7168x7168 (in the minimum recommendation) if is a stereoscopic video. However, the test I have done from Blender, 5k looks acceptable, and even 4k with stereoscopic frames of 4096x4096 top/bottom are good enough to be presented. Since I am doing it in Blender, and the 3D is pretty simple, I am render as big as the editor allows me and then stitch the frames on top/botton arrangement. So at the end the requirement would be to Lightworks allows to include 2:1 aspect ration formats and 8K.

Lightworks 14.5
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top