Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Connection to licensing server" problem

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 4 weeks ago #240570

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
FWIW

Even with Year licenses, it's possible to run earlier versions, at least back to V12, which is fine for me, because I use it, but it isn't new. It has been changed some time ago when Editshare was still the owner. And, it still works.

Activating with V14.5 and later creates a 'license.dat' file, whereas activating with earlier versions (V14.0 V12.6) creates a 'license.xml' file. The latter is valid for all versions, whereas license.dat works only with V14.5 and later. In other words: With a valid Year license, activate Lightworks with V14.0 to have access to all versions.

What's different now is the way to get there, it was possible to activate V14.0 online, which now doesn't work anymore. It requires offline activation.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 4 weeks ago #240575

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 weeks ago
Just crosscheck what I described above. It works as described, with V14.0 but I cannot activate V12.6, even offline, it shows "invalid e2c file". Gladly, I have a working license.xml, because activating V12.6 was possible not so long ago.

Intended or no, I don't know. Proper communication apparently continues to be a problem.

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 2 days ago #240839

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
hugly wrote:
... but I cannot activate V12.6, even offline, it shows "invalid e2c file"...

I have now tested it with my Outright license.
I downloaded and installed version 12.6 from the exclusive Outright archive.
I had renamed the Lightworks user folder so that a new folder was created without projects (without access to the newer license files.

Online activation did not work.

So I disconnected my ethernet connection so that after a restart I should be offered to create a C2E - file.
At first this did not work ("Invalid error").
So I deleted the incorrect license file generated by the failed online login, restored the ethernet connection, and instead disconnected the router power supply, installed and restarted 12.6.
Now I was offered offline activation.

After the internet connection was restored, I could now upload the C2E - file to the license & activation page, and then download the e2c file. Since I had downloaded this into the download folder, where other versions of the same name already existed, Win 10 automatically renamed (numbered) the file. After moving the file to the new Lightworks folder, I had to remove the numbering, of course.

Before I started Lightworks, I disconnected my router again, and was now able to successfully complete the offline sign in (initially without projects, because this was still the automatically created new Lightworks folder.

After moving the newly created license files into the current Lightworks folder, and renaming the folders back, I can now open these old versions and the new versions.

There is certainly a slightly less complicated workflow to do this.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2021.2 || Windows 10 Home, 20H2, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 2 days ago #240846

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
I'll give it a shot and come back to tell if that works with a Year license as well, hoping that if it does it'll stay this way.

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 1 day ago #240887

• songman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
Now it's saying "Requested project does not exist" when I try to log in.

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 1 day ago #240888

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
That's one of the error messages you get when you have to upgrade to V2021.2 from V14.5 or earlier. FAQ gives this:

When I attempt to activate Lightworks I receive a "Requested project does not exist" error message. What do I need to do?
This error message means the version of Lightworks you are attempting to activate is out of date. You will need to download and install the latest version of Lightworks (2021.2 or higher) from here: www.lwks.com/downloads You will then be able to activate Lightworks successfully.

This sticky gives more info: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=42&id=240494&Itemid=81
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 1 day ago by briandrys.

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 1 day ago #240889

• songman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
briandrys wrote:
That's one of the error messages you get when you have to upgrade to V2021.2 from V14.5 or earlier.

I figured I was destined to upgrade, so I went ahead anyway.

The two projects I had kept (for no particular reason) in the old version are still there - don't know why, but that was comforting in its way.

Plus, the interface isn't too distant from the old one so I've been able to get to grips with it fairly quickly.

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 1 day ago #240890

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
songman wrote:
Now it's saying "Requested project does not exist" when I try to log in.

That's the suggestion how to fix from LWKS staff:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=22&id=240632&Itemid=81#240640

Re: "Connection to licensing server" problem 3 weeks, 1 day ago #240896

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
songman wrote:
The two projects I had kept (for no particular reason) in the old version are still there - don't know why, but that was comforting in its way.

That's intended behaviour. Should something go wrong you always have the earlier version of your project to fall back on. Once you've established that everything is working as expected you can delete the old projects should you need to.

Personally, I feel that since they're doing no harm they can just stay there until I decide to clear the entire project.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top