Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LIfetime upgradable license type?

LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229729

• fogline
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Now that things are modernizing quickly, I have been wondering whether those of us a long time in the Pro Lightworks camp might have a further option: Permanent lifetime license, upgradable to the newest full versions, for the rest of the user's life. How much would that have to cost up front to work? It seems it could be based on your age and reasonable life expectancy and pro-rated for this. It might be available to those who have been loyal Pro users for a certain amount of time already, and have every intention of keeping the software active. It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to figure out and it would give the new company a bunch of cash up front, when it probably needs it that most. Just a thought. Anyone else interested in this?

Tim
Fogline

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229732

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
The only problem that I can see there is that it denies the company the ongoing cashflow that it would need to fund development.

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229740

• digitallysane
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
What I would actually like to see would be outright buy + maintenance/upgrade/support annual plan (could be on various levels).

Some 3D software licenses work that way and I find it covers everything pretty well.

It goes like this: you buy a perpetual license (aka outright) and you pay a yearly maintenance.
That gets you all the updates during that year and a level of support (mail replies within some defined time frame, ability to submit bugs and feature requests directly, with some tracking system). As long as you pay the yearly maintenance, you are always up to date (just like the yearly subscription now). When you decide to stop your maintenance plan, you will be left with a perpetual license of the current version at the date when your maintenance expired.

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229741

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
My thoughts (although I only recently got a Pro license (Outright)).

fogline wrote:
Permanent lifetime license, upgradable to the newest full versions, for the rest of the user's life. How much would that have to cost up front to work?

As long as it is not possible to transfer activations from one computer to another, the life expectancy of the computer is probably more important. Unless the new license would automatically generate a new activation every few years.

Also keep in mind that the Pro packages are partly bundled with third-party software. Boris is expiring, and whether alternative future effects will be included in the price of the Pro license, and which ones, is probably still unclear, and probably not calculable over decades (especially if there are costs for third-party licenses).

The current Black Friday offer of the Outright license is promoted in the email with a free update to 2021.
The Lightworks Pro Outright license includes a free upgrade to 2021.x when it becomes available

Apart from that, under the previous owner, the major updates were offered at about the price of an annual license (sometimes at a discount, similar to discounts on the annual license).
Minor updates have always been free.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229744

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Some of us are so old that, if we bought a pro-rated lifetime license, LWKS would pay us money.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
240GB SSD for LWKS and 500GB SSD for source material
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy S7 with Filmic Pro*
*2xJVC GY-HM150*

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229746

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
geomcd1949 wrote:
Some of us are so old that, if we bought a pro-rated lifetime license, LWKS would pay us money.

As usual, George, you've brightened my day. Thank you.

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229891

• fogline
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
This would work well. My thought is that only the hard core users would probably do something like this, so most licenses would continue under the current plans. I don't have to have 3rd party bundles, but I do HAVE to have Lightworks. Life of the computer doesn't work for me, you can't get those things to go 10 years anymore. Why not reward long-term users, give Lightworks "big" sums upfront. Seems like it could be a win-win.
Fogline

Re: LIfetime upgradable license type? 1 month, 3 weeks ago #229892

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Understand this is an idea for a limited niche of consenting adult users and it's always good to think outside the square - but perhaps this one is a complicated bag of worms, really.

Not sure that collecting personal details like age, state of health and so on is even permitted in all countries or would be welcomed by many users.

This would also mean that the highest cost would be for the youngest users who would require more years of licences - would hate to be eighteen years old and just starting out with career hopes under that regime.

Further would a user need to take out insurance against the unimaginable; that LW ceases to trade.

A pro licence does include two activations currently and perhaps raising the question of a hardware dongle might be another option.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top