Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time

Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222742

• mdmiles
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I am considering using Lightworks for a project that I need to complete right now. Most of the time, I only need to do 1-3 projects a year and they are not large or long projects. Looking at your license options, is it a valid use model to say upgrade to a month license to do a project that shouldn't take that long, then let the license drop off until the next time I need to do a project and when that time comes, I just purchase another month license to complete the project and then repeat this process as needed? It kind of reads that way, and I like that model for my needs; is that a common and/or accepted practice? I am just looking for confirmation.
Thanks much!

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222743

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
You don't need to have the licence at all if you want to edit. You only need to have it to export or to render effects.

And they aren't our licence options. We're users, just like you.

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222744

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
mdmiles wrote:
is it a valid use model to say upgrade to a month license to do a project that shouldn't take that long, then let the license drop off until the next time I need to do a project and when that time comes, I just purchase another month license to complete the project and then repeat this process as needed? It kind of reads that way, and I like that model for my needs; is that a common and/or accepted practice?

I don't know if it's common practice, but it is a valid use model and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be accepted.

Alternatively, you can try to find some discount on a Year license, which is surely more comfortable. The coupon code "TRIPPS_YEAR_LWKS_2020" on Matty Trips website, www.mattytripps.com/ , should be valid for 40% discount on a Year license including Boris Graffiti. If you should decide using it, consider some donation to Matty Tripps.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222745

• mdmiles
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
So, I can just purchase a new 1-month license when I am done with each project and need to render to say DVD or some other medium. ?? And that is a legitimate use case for this?

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222746

• mdmiles
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I'll look at that. Thanks!

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222748

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
mdmiles wrote:
So, I can just purchase a new 1-month license when I am done with each project and need to render to say DVD or some other medium. ?? And that is a legitimate use case for this?

Definitely is - there'd be little point in offering one month licence if it wasn't. Check out the licence comparison.

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222750

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I started using lightworks like this till i needed some pro features all the time (shared project folders etc.)... start edit your movie and get the license for exporting, this license model was one of the reasons I got into lightworks in the first place.

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222769

• motosega
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
This is exactly what i do, edit with free lightworks, then when the project is ready, buy a 1 month licence do all the exports then let it expire until i need to export again. i tend to have one editing season each year, and write code the rest of the year. this year it ended up with a load of video work, but its an anomaly, like the rest of 2020

apart from export to hd formats the only pro feature i tend to use during editing is wav export for editing audio outside lightworks. i thought timeline rendering would be a big deal, but since i started using the internal proxy workflow, thats not a problem either, (unless i do vfx stuff with loads of DVEs)

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 month, 3 weeks ago #222810

• mdmiles
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Thank you all for the info! that is what I was hoping. You all have been very helpful!!

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 week, 3 days ago #224719

• Crocalu
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Thanks for that coupon code hugly! I wanted to get a month of LWKS Pro for 25 euros to start working on a difficult DeepFaceLab video, which I would eventually upload in the month after the 1-month subscription would have passed.

So instead of spending 50 euros for two consecutive months, I spent 100 euros for 12 months. What a deal!

As an amateur self-taught editor, the 1-year deal could be made much more appealing, but then again it's probably tailored for actual professional editors. I háve considered buying the lifetime version, but the "no major updates" clause makes me hesitant. I wouldn't want to make the mistake of spending hundreds of euros on something that might become obsolete within a year because of some random innovation in editing (like what happened with that Blender update that suddenly made it a vastly superior engine compared to others)
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by Crocalu.

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 week, 3 days ago #224739

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Crocalu wrote:
I háve considered buying the lifetime version, but the "no major updates" clause makes me hesitant. I wouldn't want to make the mistake of spending hundreds of euros on something that might become obsolete within a year

There has always been an upgrade path available to owners of the outright version. It's unlikely that you would be stuck. There is always a charge for doing it, but it has never been punitive.

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 week, 3 days ago #224745

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
I think, if using Lightworks on a regular basis, on the long run, the difference between Year and Outright is just a matter of taste, not costs.

Personally, I prefer purchasing Year licenses. This gives Edishare the chance to prove on a year to year basis that the product is worth the money, of course judging from my personal point of view.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 week, 3 days ago #224748

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Buying an outright NLE (or any software) usually involved having to purchase an upgrade to the next version. Traditionally, this costs less than the original purchase price. In many instances the new version came out annually, so that if you wanted to always have the latest version you needed to upgrade every year.

Of course, many people didn't do this and only upgraded when their current version no longer met their requirements.

Re: Questions concerning using month license only as needed for projects from time to time 1 week, 3 days ago #224752

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
According to the Shop page, "minor updates" are free.
Only the rarer "Major Updates" cost something.
"Major Updates" are available about every 2 to 3 years.
The last major update was version 14.0 (April 2017).
Originally, a major update was planned for the end of 2019 (originally planned "15" new name probably 2021), but it has not been released yet. The current minor update 2020.1 contains some features which were originally planned for the major update.

If you have subscribed to the mailing lists, you have been informed about it towards the end of the year:
"Lightworks Black Friday Offer"
and:
"Lightworks Happy Holiday Offers"
Some also included discounted Outright license upgrade.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 3 days ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top