Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Versions/Releases Frequency

Versions/Releases Frequency 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220433

• KKelso25
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
I just downloaded the new v2020.1, and had previously been running off of v14.5. I am considering purchasing the outright license. My question is: how often do minor/major updates come out? I would prefer the outright license, but I'm not sure what the average lifespan of each 'generation' is. I would like to make an informed decision on the matter before spending such an amount. (Also, do any of the license ever go on sale? I saw a temporary drop in price last year at one point.)

My thanks in advance,
Kelso

Re: Versions/Releases Frequency 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220446

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Hello,

There is no officially announced (read:reliable) version frequency. A look at the version history shows that the time between major releases was 2-3 years, with 2 or more minor releases in between.

From time to time licenses go on sale (once a year?). Based on the history, these were discounts on outright and/or year licenses, or bundles with the Lightworks Shuttle, or upgrades of outright licenses, or two Year licenses for the price of one or one Year licenses for the price of two.

There were also coupons on affiliate sites, like the site of Matty Tripps, which might or might not still be valid.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: Versions/Releases Frequency 3 weeks, 5 days ago #220468

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 5 days ago
Since this isn;t a bug, I'm moving this thread into
Software Activation / Licensing / Updating

Re: Versions/Releases Frequency 3 weeks, 3 days ago #220609

• KKelso25
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Very helpful, thank you. I answered my follow up question, in which 2020.1 is technically 14.6, so it's about halfway through its generation more or less. I think I will make the purchase friday. Thanks for the help!

Re: Versions/Releases Frequency 3 weeks, 3 days ago #220611

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Given the statement when the V14.6 beta was first released I would assume That the next major version may come out next year.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top