Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next?

I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218735

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
I just upgraded my computer and went to redownload Lightworks only to see that it's now a new version -- 2020.1. Will my previous Pro status carry over for this or am I best off downloading the 14.0 version in the archive? I don't use Lightworks much and mainly upgraded to pro as a way to show support -- I don't know if I can justify repeated Pro each time something new comes out.

A corollary question: Can I have a 14.0 and 2020.1 installed side by side and use both (maybe not simultaneously, but do some work in one, then open it up in the older one for the exporting?)

I run Lubuntu 20.04LTS.

Thank you for any help!

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218739

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
V2020.1 is part of the V14 series of Lightworks, so if you've an outright license for this version you can still use it. The one year and one month versions will also work with any future version after the V14 series. The outright needs to be upgraded for whatever what was V15 will be called

That's assuming you have activations available.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by briandrys.

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218742

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
thesunray wrote:
I just upgraded my computer ..

Do you mean hardware changes as well? Which ones?
To my knowledge, some hardware changes may cause the licensing system to identify the computer as a new device.

thesunray wrote:
A corollary question: Can I have a 14.0 and 2020.1 installed side by side and use both (maybe not simultaneously, but do some work in one, then open it up in the older one for the exporting?)

I run Lubuntu 20.04LTS.

On Windows systems I can install almost unlimited Lightworks versions in parallel.

Whether it is possible on your operating system I can't say.

Keep in mind that projects created on a new Lightworks version may use features that are not supported by older Lightworks versions. For example, LWKS 2020.1 can import some newer media which 14.5 cannot handle.
If you use the new "custom metadata" in a project, I would advise against opening that project with an older version, because 14.5 might change it in a way that 2020.1 might not be able to read the "Custom Metadaten" correctly afterwards (I noticed this with a beta version of 2020.1). With the released 2020.1 version I did not check this.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by schrauber.

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218743

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
I had one activation left and it now works fine, I'm in good shape. However, that said, I'm a bit surprised there's NO option for the next time I get a new computer or if I were to want to put this on my laptop as well. Is that really the case? Hopefully I won't need to be getting a new computer again for years, but still...I find it disappointing I wouldn't be able to continue using Lightworks.

In any case, I think I'm fine at this point. I appreciate the quick answers! Thank you.

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218746

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
The activations will probably be an issue if you regularly change your computer every 18 months. You can upgrade your machine without any issues.

Chances are if you change machine that often, you won't want an old version of Lightworks. The upgrade for the outright license is similar to the one year license.

If you run into difficulties the Editshare are usually very helpful.

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218749

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
I'm just curious because I (at my end) really have done nothing other than upgrade my existing computer, but when I went through the registration it said I had only 1 activation left, which I used, so I now have none. I don't USUALLY (never did in the past) need to or want to edit on my laptop but it seems frustrating to have lost that option simply because I got a new machine and chucked the old one.

I do understand the need to keep people from installing on 30 machines, some of which might not be their own.

But for a home user like myself I feel like it should be possible to be upstairs on my laptop getting some last minute work done before bed, while still maintaining it on my desktop as well.

I don't know what "the Editshare" is/are.

I was just sort of hoping there's a way to (at the Lightworks side) go, "Oh, he upgrade, sure, here's that Activation you lost putting it onto the new machine." Is that possible?

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218752

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Editshare is the company that owns Lightworks.

If you've upgraded the machine, i.e. it's not a different computer, but you've changed components, the activation will still work.

If you have a second computer and use Lightworks on it, that will use one of your activations.

FAQ gives this:

When you purchase Lightworks Pro (Year or Outright license) you will receive a complimentary Lightworks Pro activation that can be used on a second system. Once activated the Lightworks Pro license cannot be removed. The reason we issue a complimentary activation is so that users have a way of moving their Lightworks Pro license to a more suitable system. Once the two activations have been used, you will need to purchase another. The Lightworks Pro Month license comes with only one activation.

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218756

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
The software checks some hardware components to validate the installation. Details about the underlying functions/routines are not disclosed. Consequently, the used routines may differ with different software releases and may depend on the operating system.

Most hardware updates/changes are not critical, e.g. RAM, GPU, additional internal or external mass storage, audio devices. What's known to be critical is replacing the system drive. Replacing CPU and motherboard may or may not be critical.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: I had Pro for 14.5 but just upgraded my computer...what's next? 1 week, 2 days ago #218760

• thesunray
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
This is definitely a totally different machine, though I'm actually keeping the same hard drive in it (as a second partition). If that's all that Editshare usually offers then I don't want to grouch too much. I just feel like...I'm sitting at the same chair, in the same desk, just upgraded my computer to a new one...so it seems unfortunate that suddenly I'm wasting an activation.

Not a biggie. I appreciate the suggestions and help. I'll send an email to Editshare and see if they can assist.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top