• Page:

TOPIC: moving an annual license

Re: moving an annual license 3 weeks, 3 days ago #210121

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
briandrys wrote:
The second activation is there in case you buy another computer, it allows you to use Lightworks on the new machine.

.. .And so since I changed the mobo - it is effectively a new computer! And consumed one activation ...

When I rename the license.dat I get prompted for a login and after login only displays my Outright license (2) for activations - which I dont want to use yet. Should it be displaying the annual subscription license - the last of which that I already activated on Windows?

G
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by G0bble.

Re: moving an annual license 3 weeks, 3 days ago #210123

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Perhaps, there was a misunderstanding and you don't run a dual boot system with Windows and Linux, but a separate box with Linux?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: moving an annual license 3 weeks, 3 days ago #210125

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
hugly wrote:
Perhaps, there was a misunderstanding and you don't run a dual boot system with Windows and Linux, but a separate box with Linux?

Mine is dual-boot ... as dual as it can be ... one machine one boot loader two OS choices ..

G

Re: moving an annual license 3 weeks, 3 days ago #210126

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
G0bble wrote:

.. .And so since I changed the mobo - it is effectively a new computer! And consumed one activation ...

G

Perhaps the usage of the jargon "mobo" is confusing?
I changed/upgraded the motherboard on my computer +cpu +gpu .. when the 2nd activation was consumed. I am now thinking that is expected with a change in mobo ...

The linux LWKS using the same license activation instance as the windows LWKS is a mystery to me though!
G
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by G0bble.

Re: moving an annual license 3 weeks, 3 days ago #210128

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Just found an old thread about the same question, here:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=42&id=80496&Itemid=81#80496

woodzu123 wrote:
> i suppose that i cant activate since the hardware will change a lot right?

Hi Lordekeen,

That depends on the distro. If it reports the same hardware as Windows the same license will be issued. If that's not the case drop us an email at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and we'll figure out a solution for you.

Regards,
Peter
Lwks Webteam

Re: moving an annual license 3 weeks, 3 days ago #210130

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Ok I had sent a note to editshare yesterday lets wait out the holidays. There is no urgency just wanted to compare the linux export performance and then also see how the VFX behaves in linux ..

Cheers
G

Re: moving an annual license 1 week, 5 days ago #210684

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
From the discussion about GPU performance I know that you've succeeded in activating Lightworks om Linux on your dual boot system.

As a matter of interest, how did you manage it?

Re: moving an annual license 1 week, 5 days ago #210692

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
hugly wrote:
From the discussion about GPU performance I know that you've succeeded in activating Lightworks om Linux on your dual boot system.

As a matter of interest, how did you manage it?

I emailed and they linked a license to my linux installation. I am not sure about whether these are two separate activations that consumed the backup activation or not. I assumed changing the mobo may have consumed the first one. Let me email again and check.

G
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by G0bble.

Re: moving an annual license 1 week, 5 days ago #210693

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Thank you.

I would think another e-mail to Edishare isn't necessary. If they issued you with a new additional activation, which should be visible on your 'License and Activations' page, i.e one activation for Windows and a second for Linux on the same hardware, it's obvious that your Linux installation appears to the licensing server as a different machine.

Re: moving an annual license 1 week, 5 days ago #210698

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 week, 5 days ago
Hmm.. Why would that happen? I am going to ask anyways ...

G
Last Edit: 1 week, 5 days ago by G0bble.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds
Scroll To Top