Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released?

Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208754

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
A question for the Lightworks admins...

The Black Friday deals look good but what happens when the new version comes of out Beta and is released as a new version? Will the deals/licences apply to the new version?

Thanks

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208759

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
Hello,

That's indeed the unanswered question which has arisen with a recent announcement saying that the next release won't be named "V14.6", but "Lightworks 2020".

Since this is a user forum, you may receive a substantial answer to your question here in time or you might not.

If your purchase decision depends on the answer, which I can imagine, personally I wouldn't hesitate to contact Editshare sales directly via e-mail. For contact details, please see "Help > Contact Us" on top of this page.

Edit:If you contact them directly, please let us know what the answer is.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 10 months ago by hugly.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208760

• og1char
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
I had looked for Contact Us but didn't think to look under help on the Forum.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208762

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
AFAIK an outright license, and this is only what this black friday offer is obviously dealing with, is "frozen" regarding its major version.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=42&id=187662&Itemid=81
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=42&id=163403&Itemid=81

So further updates above V14.x are excluded, unless you pay for an upgrade (which costs less than the initial outright license).

IMO there is no typical advantage or disadvantage between an outright license or a subscription (if you look for a break-even). It depends on the scope, period or duration of usage.
Lwks x64 2020.1 revision 122068, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 10 months ago by timzett.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208764

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
To avoid confusion, here is the offer: us1.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=8fa9d1e820cf2c96400c61166&id=f0b03dd37c

The answer to the question is only relevant for Outright licenses, but both schedules are offered, Outright and Year.

Last Edit: 10 months ago by hugly.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208767

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
You're right. I overlooked the fact that an annual license subscription is also discounted right now.

I think for og1char it is also worth mentioning that in case of an annual subscription any updates, even if the major version should change, are included (a typical advantage of the subscription model).
Lwks x64 2020.1 revision 122068, pro license, on Windows 10

HARDWARE:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB SATA internal for source footage

CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n, Xiaomi Yi 1080p
Last Edit: 10 months ago by timzett.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208771

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 10 months ago
Please bear in mind that an annual Pro license starts from when you purchase it, not when it's activated/

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208772

My experience with annual licenses is that renewals start when the current one expires. Even if you buy it early you get the full year.

May be different if you are buying one for the first time.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208773

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 10 months ago
It could be an issue with the monthly licenses, just a few people have been caught out by it.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208791

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 10 months ago
og1char wrote:
The Black Friday deals look good but what happens when the new version comes of out Beta and is released as a new version? Will the deals/licences apply to the new version?

Given the closeness of the 2020 release, I would be extremely surprised if some allowance wasn't made for people who had bought a permanent licence just prior to the release of a new version. It's what I would expect from a company as reputable as Editshare. What the nature of any allowance like that would be I could only speculate. Since we're all users here we aren't the people to ask.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208802

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 10 months ago
One would imagine - given users are testing v14.6 beta - the new release whatever it is called would be considered to be v14.6 under the hood and licenced accordingly??
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208826

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 10 months ago
David Rasberry wrote:
My experience with annual licenses is that renewals start when the current one expires. Even if you buy it early you get the full year.

May be different if you are buying one for the first time.

Can others confirm if this is true? In that case I would be happy to avail the BF deal... My current license is still active.

G

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208828

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
All time based licenses, i.e. Year and Month, have an expiration date. The count down starts on date of purchase, not on installation or activation.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208829

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 10 months ago
So can one have an outright license and then also activate a time-based license on top of it? What happens once that expires and I upgraded in the meantime?

G
Last Edit: 10 months ago by G0bble.

Re: Will Black Friday Deals extend into the new version when it is released? 10 months ago #208830

• Matt Sandford
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 10 months ago
og1char wrote:
A question for the Lightworks admins...

Thanks

Hi,

The Outright license and Year license will support the next version (14.6->renamed to 2020.1) when it is released.

I hope this helps?

Matt
Lightworks Product Manager
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top