Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Quick queries from newcomer

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 1 week, 4 days ago #189264

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
AVI can contain many codecs, far more than Lightworks is able to import.

I don't warn, I inform.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 1 week, 4 days ago #189280

• rufford155
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
hugly wrote:
Good to see that you didn't give up.

"PUPPY .avi" combines AVC video with Mp3 audio codec in an AVI container created with free x264 encoder. That's truly something I've never seen from a native camera recording. It looks more like a converted file with uncommon settings. Anyway, if you say it's recorded with your Toshiba camera, something like this seems to exist. This format is not supported by Lightworks.

The file from your mobile phone is importable, but it shows a non-standard frame rate, 25.058 FPS, which might lead to sync problems between picture and sound.

Both problems would be fixable, but you have to convert both files with suitable software to a suitable format.
W
What exactly is your question?

The question is what format do I need to convert all my files to in order to import into Lightworks and edit them without problems.
Will MP4 be OK.
I currently am using Eusing Free Video Converter for this purpose.
Also, is LW able to create and burn a DVD of my finished masterpiece?

BTW, the posts following your quoted one contain a lot of jargon that I don't understand.
Please can you all remember not to get too technical when advising beginners, thank you.

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 1 week, 4 days ago #189281

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 4 days ago
There are a number of video codecs that you can convert your files to in order to edit in Lightworks. Commonly used software for this job with Lightworks are Eyeframe and Handbrake, the latter creates MP4 files.

This sticky shows settings for Handbrake: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81

You can't create and burn a DVD in Lightworks. you need third party DVD authoring software for this job.

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 1 week, 3 days ago #189289

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 3 days ago
Because of variable and non-standard frame rate of your original footage, you have to set frame rate in Handbrake explicitly to 25 or 30 fps, not to "Same as source". If you plan editing both in the same project, I'd suggest using 30 fps for both.

I had a short look into Eusing Free Video Converter. It seems to be a ffmpeg front end with some presets and a manual configuration of a command line, but with very limited options. You can try using the preset "QuickTime h.264 video (very high quality), but I can't say if this will correct variable and non-standard frame rate of your footage properly. You can try Eusing and send a Mediainfo report of both converted files, if Handbrake seems too complicated.

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 5 days, 20 hours ago #189810

• rufford155
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 20 hours ago
Sorry to bother you guys again, I still haven't given up yet.
But I have now found older AVI files from the Toshiba camera in a stranger format than the more recent one I uploaded to you before.
So I would appreciate your comments on the attached txt and whether this file is convertible to a format acceptable to LW.
In the meantime I intend to have a look at Handbrake as you advised.

I have found that WMM will not encode this file into WMV or MP4 without errors.
That is really strange as I have WMV files and compiled DVD's made from camera files of the same vintage. (Although original AVI's are now deleted).
I am completely stumped as I've never encountered any problem with WMM before.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 5 days, 19 hours ago #189811

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 19 hours ago
The file format is NTSC 16:9 progressive at 59.94 fps.
Try creating a new project and set project video format to NTSC 16:9
See if your AVI files with that spec will import into Lightworks under that setting.
Don't mix or import any other file type with this project. Note: The audio bit depth is listed as only 4-bits which doesn't sound right. There may be some file corruption present.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 5 days, 19 hours ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Quick queries from newcomer 5 days, 19 hours ago #189814

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 19 hours ago
Good to hear that you're still with us.

From Mediainfo:

Audio ID : 1
Format : ADPCM

ADPCM (Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation) is an audio format which is not supported by Lightworks at all, in whatever container.

Handbrake should convert that file, and most likely all the others you have, to a format well editable in Lightworks. Here you'll find settings to start with: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=166802&Itemid=81#167830
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll To Top