Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 2 weeks ago #163688

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
As a reminder, the e2c is used for activating Lightworks on computers which aren't connected to the internet. These tend to be post production workstations (just used for editing etc) or computers in remote locations without any internet access.

In these circumstances, the once a year activation of Lightworks, makes little sense as means of carrying out ulterior motives, since there's no other time when anything can be harvested. The e2c can be downloaded on a third party computer (local library, internet cafe etc) that has an internet computer, rather than your own machine.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 2 weeks ago #163817

• williamsgod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
@another moderater
sorry for that..
braindry asked me thats why i posted the links.please read previous comments.

@briandry

yes offline is better
but we have to upload data extracted from pc by c2e file

thats the problem
yours williams
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by williamsgod.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 2 weeks ago #163833

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
I didn't ask you about links, that's something that you took upon yourself.

In the end, it depends if you trust the people you're dealing with. Editshare has a background in supplying the film, broadcast, eduction and video industries worldwide, their procedures meet their requirements, which are probably more demanding than those required for individual users.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 2 weeks ago #163857

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 2 weeks ago
If you're using anti-virus software I can absolutely guarantee that it phones home every time that you boot up. In fact even your OS does that, and also usually aggressively pushes updates on you. Your word processing software does the same thing. So does your internet browsing software.

Are you concerned about those, which do that every time you start your computer regardless of whether you're using a particular piece of software or not?

In that respect I have more concerns about my operating system than about any of my post-production software.
Last Edit: 6 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163905

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
I’m not sure if these questions were what Williamsgod posed, but think it would be nice to know the answers for those who document human-rights abuses in dictatorial states:

1. Is it possible to identify the computer on which a Lightworks video was produced simply by analyzing the video file?

2. Is it possible to analyze two [or more] video files and determine if they were produced on the same computer?

3. Is it possible to determine the location of a computer on which a Lightworks video was produced?
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163908

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
geomcd1949 wrote:

3. Is it possible to determine the location of a computer on which a Lightworks video was produced?

Then turn on its builtin camera and mic.
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163920

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
The Lightworks e2c file is a propriatary encrypted license file and has nothing to do with exported video. It is downloadable over a https connection and is for non-disclosed use only, as far as I understand the concept.

I'm not aware of any video encoder which would write information about the user or the computer.

If that would be possible? Well yes, purchased downloaded media files with DRM (e.g. Appstore) might contain information to identify the file but e.g. Apple won’t disclose the algorithm as well – for good reasons.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163924

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Dear Friend Hugly – Let’s assume the intelligence consortium known as Five Eyes, composed of the intelligence services of the U.S., the U.K., Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, have penetrated Editshare and swept up their files that include the e2c files of all Lightworks users. To assume otherwise is to put a life, or lives, on the line for those who advocate positions counter to those of the consortium. It would be unreasonable to blithely assume that Editshare’s records have not been compromised. It might be incorrect to make that assumption, but it is certainly unreasonable to proceed on that assumption.

Let’s further assume that a dissident has produced one or more videos using Lightworks, and that the “authorities” of one of the Five Eyes countries, or some other secret service of a government that is supported by Five Eyes, has come into possession of these video files.

The questions posed [above], under these hypothetical circumstances, are relevant.

That you – granted, an experienced Lightworks user, and obviously a highly skilled video editor -- “are not aware of any video recorder that would write info about a user or computer” is strong evidence that a video producer would be safe. But it is by no means dispositive of the question.

True, the percentage of Lightworks users who fall into the category of those who need anonymity is small, but they are important, and deserve to have rock-solid information when they make decisions for the benefit of average people and put their lives on the line when doing so.

Most commercial printers put some secret code on documents printed on them that identifies the specific printer. Microsoft Word puts info in its Document History that allows the documents to be tracked over their lives. I don’t think it is an unreasonable question to inquire about what the metadata of Lightworks-produced files can reveal.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163926

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Somehow offline activation has to be done. That implies, that at least information about the target machine and the license has to be included, otherwise the target machine wouldn't be able to evaluate. Hackable? Theoretically, but I would be more concerned about Five Eyes infiltrating the company itself in order to get access to the local databases.

Honestly, since nowadays everybody streams tons of detailled personal data automatically into the internet via iPhones, Facebook, Google and other companies which collect mass data to make money, there are easier ways to get detailed personal profiles than to crack license files of a tiny company which sells video editing software - NSA knows that.

But of course, crackers of this world are still interested in the structure of license files.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163934

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
If you wish to keep out of any possible detection by SIGINT, living in an enclosure in a region of a third world county (countries that remain non-aligned), without any phone or internet connections, is one method. Although you would still leave a shadow because these don't exist in a building that would be expected to have them.

From what I gather, e2c's function is to allow offline license activation for the appropriate period for the number of times and machines allowed. I assume the OS is used to confirm the latter.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163936

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
And if you're concerned about embedded data in exported video files, download a hex editor and examine a few. I sincerely doubt whether you'll find anything though. I suspect that you're more at risk from your operating system than from Lightworks.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163954

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Spies are everywhere.

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #163960

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Good shot!
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #164380

• williamsgod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
please take a look at offline activation of adobe.
exception.licenses.adobe.com/aoes/aoes/v1/t1?locale=en

their activation is transperant .we can see the data they extracted from our device.
so i love their activation style .its privacy friendly
yours williams

Re: for privacy reason i want to know what is inside e2c file 6 months, 1 week ago #164401

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
By the way, do you know one of my favorite guitar players, Joe Satriani?

I love his legato.
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top