Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase

Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130480

• Addison2002
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
If you buy a one-off deal can you update it for free in the future?
If not, why would buy the one-off deal if there's going to be a new version of lightworks from time to time?

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130484

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
With the one-off deal you're purchasing a license for the version that is current at the time of purchase. This means you can use that version forever with no further cost. So if you're happy with a version and plan to use it for several years, you save money over the yearly license. If you do decide to upgrade to the latest version, there will be an upgrade cost involved but less than the full price of another one-off license. This is the "old" style of software licensing. You buy the right to use a version for as long as you like, but upgrades come at a cost.

With the monthly or yearly licensing (the "new" style), you're purchasing a time limited license that can be used on any version (on the same OS), past, present and future.
Work Comp: Retired!

Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!

Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130485

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
There is a upgrade available, it's standard practice for these to cost less than original outright license.

People buy the outright license for personal reasons, usually they don't like subscriptions, they much prefer to own their software. Some NLEs are only available on subscription, with lightworks you've the option of either. Also, there's the free version and then taking out a one month license only when you want to export the completed production.

In financial terms you need to hold off buying the latest version for nearly 3 years for it to make sense over the annual subscription.

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130488

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
To clarify, if you buy an outright license you get free updates for that version. A major version update will cost you the same as an annual license.
If you want to buy outright, I would wait until V14 is released and buy that. It is currently scheduled for January sometime if beta testing goes well. Then you should be good for V14 updates for at least a couple of years. If you buy 12.6 now, which is EOL, you will have to pay an upgrade fee for V14.
Personally I think the annual license is the best value, especially if you take advantage of the 2 years for one or other discount offers that come along from time to time. You get all updates within the license period, minor or major.
Owning software is an illusion. You never really own it. The biggest advantage to an outright purchase is getting Boris FX and Graffiti permanent licenses bundled with it. Annual license gives you a choice of one or the other and the license expires with the Lightworks license as far as I can tell. The Boris packages are a $600 retail value, so you really get everything for less than the cost of the Boris software alone.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130490

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Since you mention that you're student working on a project in another thread, it may be worth checking out the educational deals.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=212

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130578

• Addison2002
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Thanks for this link, you've just made my day XD

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130580

• Addison2002
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Aha I see your point, but I would also love to know how long it took major updates to arrive in the past (e.g. past versions), as well as the cost for upgrading to a major version update (past versions). This way I can make up my mind for annual or one-off purchase after I take a look at v14 and its features. I'm not necessarily a power user, but I will be dabbling into 4k video editing as well as some advanced features to try things out.

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130584

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
There can be changes to a version, so there was a Version 12, then version V12.5. Under Editshare, the completely new versions of lightworks seem to have a life of roughly 1.5 years before a new one comes out. However, within each version's life there has been pretty major features added in the new builds.

If you're talking about 4k, V14 would seem to worth going for because of the new proxy function. At the moment, it's beta testing so unavailable with an outright license. The beta testing is currently at an early stage, so I personally wouldn't use it for an important project just at the moment.
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 1 year, 2 months ago #130623

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
Version 12 was released in October 2014, if my memory is correct. Since that time is has gone from 12.0 to 12.5 to 12.6. All of those versions have been under the same major release, version 12, so would have been available for over two years on the one permanent licence.

At the moment version 14 won't be available until at least some time in January, but let's just say that means that 12 has had a two year life. So for version 12 the outlay for the full licence is two and a half times the outlay for a yearly licence. On the face of it you would have lost money on the deal.

However you also get both Boris Graffiti and Boris Fx at no cost, and any future upgrades will cost you considerably less over a similar timescale. On any reasonable cost-benefit analysis it appears to me that an outright licence is better than an annual subscription.

Of course the recent two years for the price of one deal muddies the waters somewhat!

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 2 weeks, 1 day ago #169041

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
So if you buy the outright version and you want a major upgrade (next version) you would pay roughly the same amount as a one year license, is that correct?
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by rolover.

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 2 weeks, 1 day ago #169043

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
I don't think so. There is an upgrade fee, but I'm not aware that the rules of calculation have been officially announced somewhere on this forum and current rules might be subject to future changes.

I'd suggest contacting Lightworks sales directly with questions related to payment and pricing. For contact details, please see "Help.Contact Us" on top of this page.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 2 weeks, 1 day ago #169065

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
There's usually some sort of deal available, but even if that's the case you still end up better off - it gives you access to any of that major release's upgrades until the next major release hits. With the current release pattern that gives you at least two years for the price of one, plus Boris FX and Graffiti.

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 2 weeks, 1 day ago #169079

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
I went ahead and purchased full licence.

The Outright license upgrade price is £99.99| €134.99 |$174.99 (currently) according to sales.

Cheers

Re: Yearly subscription vs one-off purchase 2 weeks, 1 day ago #169097

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
rolover wrote:
I went ahead and purchased full licence.

The Outright license upgrade price is £99.99| €134.99 |$174.99 (currently) according to sales.

Cheers

Worth if for the free Boris licenses IMO.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.68 seconds
Scroll To Top