Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side?

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #122534

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
Irritating as it is it does seem that LW is not subject to a massive spam barrage compared with some other sites??
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #122559

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
No, we seem to get away pretty lightly compared to some I've seen. I still remember when another industry forum became effectively unusable for about two or three days. It was impossible to separate spam from legitimate posts. It took the best part of a week to clean up the mess, too.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by jwrl.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 2 years, 11 months ago #124756

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
I don't know if it's a pattern, but today I came accross a couple of new topics with titles like "qyinkhfdfff", inspecting them the content on the first one was the same, however, the going back to the same message, it had changed to spam. On the second the title was that random series of letters, but the content was spam. Going back on the browser, the random letters were there, but refreshing brought up the new spam title.

It seems like the bot may be creating the message with random letters, then using edit to put in the spam. EDIT, this seems to be confirmed by the most recent spam, which has an edit timed (in minutes) at approx the time the message topic was created.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by briandrys.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top