Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side?

So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121673

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
I noticed that, at least since 1 year, the LWKS forum website is suffering from abnormally high amount of spam posts, which is really annoying because you naturally click on them, just to find out you wasted your time.
Since I don't see so much of that at other forum platforms, isn't there anything which could be done more against at the technical level, like forensic checks etc.?

Another option might be to only allow HTTP link posting only after a minimum of other posts, e.g. 5 or 10, which would hold back many of the spammers IMHO.
Lwks x64 14.5 (pro license), on Windows 10
HARDWARE PC1:
.Intel Core i7-4710HQ Quad-core 2,50 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
.GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M with 4 GB RAM
.Sound: Onboard (Realtek)
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Intel Core2Quad, 8 GB RAM, 800 MHz FSB
.GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 600 with 1 GB DDR3 RAM
.Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro (FW)
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
CAMs: Sony PXW-X70, NEX-5n
Last Edit: 3 years ago by timzett.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121676

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
You don't see the ones that we catch! There are several possible ways of trapping them, but as fast as one pathway is shut they find another.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121682

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
Hi jwrl,
sure - these nags can drive one really crazy

I am wondering if it is worth for them to create a new account after every blocking to continue their "work", or if they found an automated way (flaw within the boardsoft), to create accounts on-demand...
HARDWARE PC1:
.Disks: 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1 TB internal SATA for editing material
HARDWARE PC2:
.Disks: 1x 250 GB SSD internal (OS/programs), 1x eSATA II (external) 1 TB for editing material (video and audio)
Last Edit: 3 years ago by timzett.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121685

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
I don't know if non machine readable checks would help when initially registering, I know RedUser has one when you do a search on that web site when not a member.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by briandrys.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121695

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
machine readable checks would help when initially registering

Yes!
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121716

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
There are only a handful of us moderators, and we're spread across at least three continents and many timezones.

Being in the US, I find that the majority of spam seems to be posted in hours when I'm sleeping from timezones that are 10-14 hours removed from mine.

I often find several spam reports in my morning email, most of which have already been dealt with by other moderators or administrators.

Which doesn't stop me from catching a few when I can! Often within an hour or two (sometimes minutes) of posting.

If other users are diligent about reporting spam, it helps those of us who can remove the offending posts (and the offensive people who post them).
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121717

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
What's the best way to report SPAM?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121720

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
hugly wrote:
What's the best way to report SPAM?

At the top right corner of every post there's a little triangle with an exclamation mark in it.
Click that little triangle and file a report.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121739

• timzett
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
arniepix wrote:
...I find that the majority of spam seems to be posted in hours when I'm sleeping from timezones that are 10-14 hours removed from mine...
From what the content of the majority of spam is about, I'd assume it comes from India
HARDWARE PC1:
HARDWARE PC2:

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121751

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
Hi all.

We are going to experimentally turn on reCaptcha challenge for users posting on the forum for the first time in addition to bot-protection mechanisms we currently have in place. I'm going to update this post once it's done.

If it does not work we will look at other options including that suggested in the first post by timzett.

With thanks,
Peter
Lightworks Webteam

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #121762

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
timzett wrote:
From what the content of the majority of spam is about, I'd assume it comes from India

Yes, which makes me wonder why they target this website at all. There can't be that many users here who need to know who can help them move office in Kerala.

I suggested in the moderator's group some time back that trapping any new posts that have a web address in their title would head off a lot. However since spam posts are usually bot generated, reCaptcha should be an even better way of heading them off.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #122510

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
jwrl wrote:
I suggested in the moderator's group some time back that trapping any new posts that have a web address in their title would head off a lot. However since spam posts are usually bot generated, reCaptcha should be an even better way of heading them off.

The good news is that trapping by links in subject reduced the amount of spam significantly. This has been enabled for a couple of days now and confirmed that majority of that malicious traffic is generated by bots despite the bot-protection mechanisms we've had in place for some time before.

With thanks,
Peter
Last Edit: 3 years ago by woodzu123.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #122512

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
I thought things seemed a little quieter! We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #122515

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
One spam has just got through. I guess you can't run a gibberish content test to sort the spam out from the other messages.

Re: So much spam - can't be something done against at the general side? 3 years ago #122516

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
We did test a mechanisms to do exactly that in the past but results were far from our expectations. We also tested an external cloud service but it slowed down creating and editing forum posts significantly and we did not want to sacrifice that experience. There are more updates to come so please bear with us.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top