Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe

Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years, 1 month ago #120966

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Please refer to this discussion.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121001

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
This problem has now been addressed by woodzu.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121003

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
All videos seem to work outside of Europe. Could you confirm jwrl?
I wonder where did that statement come from?

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121006

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
Yes, they certainly do now work outside Europe.

The statement came from me, but should have pointed to the recent Flash Player update as the cause of the problem. One of the things it apparently now does is enforce regions, and I assumed that the problem here was a regional issue as a result. It certainly seemed region sensitive.

I know. NEVER assume! Sorry.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by jwrl.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121013

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
And a follow on from the above: I really stuffed up on the cause this time.

I relied on word-of-mouth, and didn't check for myself. The assumed regional problem with the Flash plug-in was in fact not confirmed anywhere that I've just searched. So it's a mystery.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121014

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
jwrl, this wasn't only based on your findings!

It started with a user comment, black video. Also donkpow confirmed that he couldn't see the video in the US while I could see it in Europe.

Please see the original discussion (link above).

EDIT:

The issue might have been fixed now with the changes made concerning HTML5, but it was there and might be related to the Flash Player as you assumed.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by hugly.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121015

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
One way or another Flash Player is on the edge of extinction and will be remembered as most vulnerable piece of software ever created. RIP

Glad to hear it's all working outside of Europe with shiny HTML5 playback.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121027

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
I don't know if it's related, but the videos on the BBC news site don't always appear these days, just a black screen for the video.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121047

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years ago
I don't know either, but my experience has been that content that's blocked in my area usually displays a message advising the fact. I don't know whether it's an out-and-out rule though.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121058

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
Here we are again.

I removed Flash Player from (one of) my systems. Now everything should work perfectly with HTML5, shouldn't it?

If so, anybody to explain this

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

to be found here.

The message says: A plugin is needed to display this content.

With Flash Player plugin installed it shows the expected. Both tested IE11 and recent version of Firefox.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by hugly.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121064

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
The video you are referring to is a Vimeo clip.
We will soon start addressing other video providers including Vimeo and remove support for these that do not support HTML5 playback.

With thanks,
Peter

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121065

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
Hi Peter,

thank you for your early reply.

I wonder why I can play videos directly at Vimeo whithout having Flash Player installed but the embedded ones here don't play.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121068

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
The forum script has a few years now and comes from times when the plan of HTML5 video was only known to handful of people thus it is embedding the Flash Player directly on the forum.
On the other hand side both YT and Vimeo are capable of detecting whether browser can playback HTML5 or Flash video and display appropriate player when their external player is embedded on the forum via HTML IFrame (eg. website within another website).

Hope this clarifies the issue,
With thanks,
Peter

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121070

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
Thanks for the explanation.

What do you think, will we see Vimeo videos embedded here playing with HTML5 in the near future or should I reinstall the Flash Player better.

Re: Recent issue displaying embedded videos outside of Europe 3 years ago #121086

• woodzu123
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 3 years ago
Just fixed Vimeo embeds.

Are there any other providers would you like to prioritize?
Personally, I haven't seen anything other than YT and Vimeo on the forum but will have a detailed search soon.

With thanks,
Peter
Last Edit: 3 years ago by woodzu123.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top