Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121407

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
The Bugs forum is in place to serve the developers, not the users.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
The topic has been locked.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121409

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
donkpow wrote:
The Bugs forum is in place to serve the developers, not the users.

hugly wrote:
Because of the value of Bugs for devolopment it should be also of highest interest for Editshare officials to keep the Bugs forum as "clean" as possible, shouldn't it?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121411

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
I'll have to speculate but I imagine the Bugs forum is not the sole record of bugs. I'd guess it is an interface tool. Someone reads each topic and decides whether or not the issue should be forwarded. More of a screening tool. If the ES employee is overwhelmed by the volume of information, they can do something about it. Otherwise, any user can evaluate the topic and flag it according to their own perspective.

"Moderation" on the forum is not limited to enforcement issues. Sorry.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121413

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
hugly wrote:
Many new user simply ignore the category selection. Lots of simple handling questions pollute the Bugs category. You have to move those topics out of Bugs because this specific category is known to be very important for developers. I guess this task is very time consuming and if you forget to move or no time is left to do it those entries remain unmoved. For users like me it would make life much easier to find something in the Bugs forum because less no-bugs topics would be there.

This describes a typical win win situation, isn't it?

May I kindly ask you all to state your opinion.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121424

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
donkpow wrote:
I'll have to speculate but I imagine the Bugs forum is not the sole record of bugs. I'd guess it is an interface tool. Someone reads each topic and decides whether or not the issue should be forwarded. More of a screening tool. If the ES employee is overwhelmed by the volume of information, they can do something about it. Otherwise, any user can evaluate the topic and flag it according to their own perspective.

"Moderation" on the forum is not limited to enforcement issues. Sorry.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121426

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
>> <<

The quote of the day: Let quotes speak.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121438

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121439

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
>> <<

Excellent

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #122975

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
This is still reality when a user starts a New Topic:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

RWAV wrote:
"Miscellaneous" still has a purpose so a whole lot of ill-directed posts would confuse even that.

Bugs entered by Donkey-vote is just one of the burdens in that category - users unfamiliar with LW, who therefore stumble on some pretty standard procedure, also clutter bugs - as do those who seem to feel posting in Bugs will garner better interest; neither of these will be minimised by a any new default category - though I do think the default should be changed - perhaps left empty with a prompt to select a category??

jwrl wrote:
Either Editing or Miscellaneous would arguably be better in that respect. It still won't catch those who regard an operational problem as being a bug and deliberately post there, but it would certainly help.

arniepix,

I'd truly appreciate to hear your opinion about this issue.

What do you think, will moderators find a consensus?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top