Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic

Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 2 months ago #120441

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
Please consider to make "Miscellaneous" to the default category for New Topics.

At the monemnt "Bugs" is the default which leads frequently to misplaced topics espacially by new users of this forum.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
The topic has been locked.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 2 months ago #120443

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
The default seems toe be simply an alphabetical sort. Don't know if that is in LW power to chnage or a Kunena setting??"
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 2 months ago #120445

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
The default seems toe be simply an alphabetical sort.

Announcements and Audio sorts prior to Bugs which makes it most probable that someone has set it.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121094

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
After a while I guess it's time to bring this issue up again.

Dear moderators,

from my point of view it would make your life much easier to have another category than bugs as default for New Topics.

Many new user simply ignore the category selection. Lots of simple handling questions pollute the Bugs category. You have to move those topics out of Bugs because this specific category is known to be very important for developers. I guess this task is very time consuming and if you forget to move or no time is left to do it those entries remain unmoved. For users like me it would make life much easier to find something in the Bugs forum because less no-bugs topics would be there.

This describes a typical win win situation, isn't it?

All depends on you. I'm really interested to hear your personal opinion about this feature request.

May I kindly ask you all to state your opinion.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121103

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Announcements is a locked topic for LW use only - I'm sure Jerry would have an answer for Audio?
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121104

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Too specific maybe?

My suggestion was "Miscellaneous". How about that?
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121140

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
I've moved this discussion into the Website forum from the Feature Requests forum because the latter is to requests features in the Lightworks software, not these forums.

Thanks!
Arnie
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121141

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Wherever we discuss, we should discuss.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121171

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
RWAV,

what do you think, would "Miscellaneous" be a good category to enter New Topics or is "Editing" more suitable?

I ask you in your role as moderator.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121192

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
"Miscellaneous" still has a purpose so a whole lot of ill-directed posts would confuse even that.

Bugs entered by Donkey-vote is just one of the burdens in that category - users unfamiliar with LW, who therefore stumble on some pretty standard procedure, also clutter bugs - as do those who seem to feel posting in Bugs will garner better interest; neither of these will be minimised by a any new default category - though I do think the default should be changed - perhaps left empty with a prompt to select a category??
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121213

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
"Miscellaneous" still has a purpose so a whole lot of ill-directed posts would confuse even that.

Nothing will be perfect. What is better, to pollute "Miscellaneous" (or whatever else except of" Feature Requests") or to pollute "Bugs", if it shouldn't be possible to leave the default empty?

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121306

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
I just checkd the default category, it's still Bugs.

The solution depends, as far as I know, only on the common opinion of moderators.

One opinion left.

EDIT:

I wonder why it takes so long to find an agreement.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121355

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
hugly wrote:
The solution depends, as far as I know, only on the common opinion of moderators.

No, it doesn't. Sometimes I wish that I had that degree of control, but I don't. We are not the forum administrators and don't have the ability to make that sort of decision. Since it's the moderators who usually end up having to move posts that are in the wrong topic, do you think that we wouldn't jump at the chance of doing something that left the "Bugs" forum for its intended purpose?

I suspect that this is being discussed at a very much higher level than you or I. When the issue has been raised in the past as far as I am aware it's failed because the question "What's the alternative?" couldn't be answered convincingly. Most of the questions that I move fall into one of two categories, editing and input/output. Moving them to a catch-all that wasn't one of those two categories would probably dead-end a lot of posts.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121366

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Okay, you are making work here. Couple of guiding principles.

-The 'Pareto Principle' extends beyond economics.
-10% of the people will never "get it".
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Miscellaneous as default category setting for New Topic 3 years, 1 month ago #121381

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
jwrl wrote:
hugly wrote:

No, it doesn't. Sometimes I wish that I had that degree of control, but I don't. We are not the forum administrators and don't have the ability to make that sort of decision.

I'm convinced that as soon as all three active moderateor agree to change the topic, there will be a way to change it, with good reasons as you might know.

Because of the value of Bugs for devolopment it should be also of highest interest for Editshare officials to keep the Bugs forum as "clean" as possible, shouldn't it?

Since it's the moderators who usually end up having to move posts that are in the wrong topic, do you think that we wouldn't jump at the chance of doing something that left the "Bugs" forum for its intended purpose?

Yes, this seems very obvious. I'm still wondering why it takes so long to only collect the opinions of all three recently active moderator of this forum in this discussion to find an agreement for an alternative.

When the issue has been raised in the past as far as I am aware it's failed because the question "What's the alternative?" couldn't be answered convincingly.

By no means I can understand that the potentially most valuable categroy of this forum, Bugs, is used as a "I don't know where to place my post" collector.

Take "Feature Requests" for example neat and clean, as it should be. What do you think would happen if this would be changed to be the default category?

Everything else would be better than Bugs. My proposal is use "Miscelaneous" or simply make a new one to be used as default. (*)

EDIT: (*)
RWAV's proposal above, to leave the default category empty, seems to be a meaningful way to go too but, as far as I could see searching the internet, Kuenea software doesn't support this approach.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top