Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks for Mac

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20961

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Just get a hi-end windows machine and run Lightworks now. Better than wait. My editing used to be Mac based as well and I basically switched to windows because of Lightworks. If you get a hi-end workstation such a HP Z800 or build a really nice one you should have no problems. Windows 7 is the best windows yet and is really stable. Most people who have problems are running it on crappy machine built with the cheapest components.

I made the switch and never looked back. Lightworks is worth it.

Besides, if some of the rumors come true, you may have to anyways, or go Linux.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by LW_for_Feature.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20964

• Einwegflasche
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
LW_for_Feature wrote:

Well,

we got a statement from an Admin here, who said Lightworks will be released for MacOS. So what rumors are you talking about?

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20965

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I'm not sure exactly what LW_for_Feature meant by that but I'm happy to confirm that there WILL be both Linux and Mac versions of Lightworks. If there are any rumors that say that there won't be, then they're just wrong.

What I can't say is when these two versions will be ready, but we will be making a detailed announcement soon.

We can't work simultaneously and at the same intensity on all three platforms, so we're focusing right now on getting the Windows version over the line. As soon as we've done that, we can change the focus to the other versions.

As I've said before, we won't be starting from nothing with the Linux and Mac versions - a great deal of work has already been done in "De-Windowizing" all three versions. In other words, the architecture has been changed to reduce dependency on the Windows framework and to make the code more suitable for cross platform development.

This has many advantages: for example, it will be easier to keep all three platform versions "in-sync" with each other.

If anyone can point me to any rumors that contradict the information I've just given, I'll be happy to deal with them.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20969

• Freyr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Einwegflasche wrote:
LW_for_Feature wrote:

Well,

we got a statement from an Admin here, who said Lightworks will be released for MacOS. So what rumors are you talking about?

Maybe the lack of MacPro turn over. If nothing is done by Apple, the PC way will be the only way via windows or linux but anyway it's a little bit disappointing now...

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20980

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I wasn't talking about Lightworks. I think the team has shown that they are fully committed to releasing a Mac and Linux versions.

As Freyr guessed, I was indeed talking about Apple. I thought it was very clear in my post that I was talking about Apple since I said if the rumors come true you would have to switch to Windows or Linux. Don't know why you would think I meant Editshare would not release a Mac version Einwegflasche. You thought I meant they would not release a Mac version but would a Linux one? That wouldn't make much sense since the Linux market is even smaller.
But I just didn't mention it specifically because the moderators here don't like when other companies are mentioned in a "bad" light on the forums and normally delete the posts. But I didn't mean to cause any controversy for Lightworks. The program is great, the team seems to be fully committed to making it even better and as I said, it was worth it switching to Windows for it. But Apple has not updated the Mac Pro in ages. It's becoming obsolete fast and word on the street is that they will discontinue it. It's no secret that they don't seem to have much interest in the pro market anymore and that iPhone and iPad sales are their focus now.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20981

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
LW_for_Feature

No problem with talking about other manufacturer's products as long as what you say is reasonable. I think what you are saying here is reasonable.

What we try to stamp out is posts saying "[some manufacturer] is rubbish" or "[some product] sucks" without backing it up with any evidence or reasoning.

I'm happy to see this discussion here!

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20983

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:
LW_for_Feature

No problem with talking about other manufacturer's products as long as what you say is reasonable. I think what you are saying here is reasonable.

What we try to stamp out is posts saying "[some manufacturer] is rubbish" or "[some product] sucks" without backing it up with any evidence or reasoning.

I'm happy to see this discussion here!

Great. Fair enough.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20984

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:
As I've said before, we won't be starting from nothing with the Linux and Mac versions - a great deal of work has already been done in "De-Windowizing" all three versions.

Although I know what you meant, this made me smile as one of the greatest things about Lightworks is it's lack of "dependency" on normal Windows conventions. Once you open the program it's like you're no longer in Windows but on a dedicated piece of hardware.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20985

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
And by the way, since it's ok to discuss the Apple situation, the Mac Pro dilemma has to put developers, and not only Editshare, in a though spot as to how much work and resources they want to put into developing professional software for a platform which the future looks more uncertain everyday. I can't see developers being comfortable with that at all. Probably it was a wise move on Editshare's part to put the Mac version on the back burner. Maybe in the meantime the Mac Pro situation will find it's course.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20988

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
The Mac version isn't on a back burner!

And don't forget that an entry-level Macbook Air is as powerful as a Mac Pro was a few years ago.

Even though the Lightworks UI doesn't use many Windows conventions, there were some dependencies on Windows that have been removed in the new version.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20995

• boki
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:
And don't forget that an entry-level Macbook Air is as powerful as a Mac Pro was a few years ago..

Exactly what i think as well, in few years a dedicated machines will be replaced with something laptopish powered with SSD like drives (with plenty of space) or something ipadish even.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20998

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:

By that I just meant that it was decided that the Windows version would have priority.

Forum Admin wrote:
And don't forget that an entry-level Macbook Air is as powerful as a Mac Pro was a few years ago.

Yes, but the key part is "was a few years ago".

Forum Admin wrote:
Even though the Lightworks UI doesn't use many Windows conventions, there were some dependencies on Windows that have been removed in the new version.

I know that. As I said in my reply to you, I know what you meant. It was just a light hearted comment, not a critic. It was actually a compliment to Lightworks, believe it or not.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #20999

• LW_for_Feature
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
boki wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:
And don't forget that an entry-level Macbook Air is as powerful as a Mac Pro was a few years ago..

Exactly what i think as well, in few years a dedicated machines will be replaced with something laptopish powered with SSD like drives (with plenty of space) or something ipadish even.

Honestly, I don't see it. For the hobbyist and prosumer markets, sure. It has already happened. But for the professional market from mid range to high end, I don't think so. It's not just a matter of computing power. It's also a matter of space. How many expansion cards can you fit in a Macbook Air or even Macbook Pro? How big is it's screen? Does it have two of them? If you will start adding peripherals to a laptop it totally defeats the purpose of being portable and putting up with the limitations. Professionals will always have the need for the flexibility a tower offers. The all baked in stuff is attractive to consumers.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #21001

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
LW_for_Feature wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:

By that I just meant that it was decided that the Windows version would have priority.

Forum Admin wrote:

Yes, but the key part is "was a few years ago".

Forum Admin wrote:

I know that. As I said in my reply to you, I know what you meant. It was just a light hearted comment, not a critic. It was actually a compliment to Lightworks, believe it or not.

I know you're a supporter of Lightworks! It's just that "Back burner" could mean that it's kind of almost put out of mind while other things are happening, which isn't the case. As you say, the Windows version has priority because a) Lightworks is already on the Windows platform and b) that's the version that most users want.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Forum Admin.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #21002

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
LW_for_Feature wrote:
boki wrote:
Forum Admin wrote:

Honestly, I don't see it. For the hobbyist and prosumer markets, sure. It has already happened. But for the professional market from mid range to high end, I don't think so. It's not just a matter of computing power. It's also a matter of space. How many expansion cards can you fit in a Macbook Air or even Macbook Pro? How big is it's screen? Does it have two of them? If you will start adding peripherals to a laptop it totally defeats the purpose of being portable and putting up with the limitations. Professionals will always have the need for the flexibility a tower offers. The all baked in stuff is attractive to consumers.

I'd have said that a few years ago, but that was before Thunderbolt, which is a high-speed I/O system that effectively means you'll never need an internal card again. Need two screens? Thunderbolt. Need incredibly fast I/O? Thunderbolt.

Well, that's the theory. In practice: where are the Thunderbolt peripherals?
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by Forum Admin.
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top