• Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
awesome news, can't wait
The topic has been locked.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 5 years, 6 months ago #67884

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Reading between the lines, alpha testers are or will be coming from those who have already asked to be testers or experienced Lightworks users. I guess they've got enough people to meet the needs of the alpha programme.

www.redsharknews.com/production/item/1581-date-announced-for-lightworks-for-mac-public-beta-the-date-it-s-available-to-everyone

However, I shouldn't worry too much, the beta testing will be much more extensive. It usually runs for a few months.
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 5 years, 6 months ago #67886

• salar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Well many of us Mac-users have requested being alpha testers in this forum - and now we might be excluded because we did not want to install Bootcamp or buy a PC or learn Linux? I hope not...
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by salar.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67902

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
I think it would be ludicrous to use existing testers for the Mac Platform, considering it never existed prior. Furthermore experienced Lightworks users are the LAST people you want to test a new product!
1-Experienced LW users will tend to look past minor quirks they've gotten used to.
2-Experienced LW users will be used to LW centric way of doing things.
Once released Lightworks will be NEW to all mac Users, most of whom have had experience on other edit platforms! More of these people will be Professional editors vs. the current pool of Experienced LW users. The best way to test software is with systems and users that will be similar as possible to the system and users that will be encountered after wide deployment!
In my facility LW can be tested on hundreds of computers on everything from 2008 MacPros to 2014 Mac Pros, 2009 iMacs to 2014 iMacs. A test bed that will encompass just about every Mac platform and OS the LW team will encounter. There simply is no better opportunity for the LW team and they aren't taking advantage of it. Their loss, but ours as well.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67904

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
It's not for me to get involved in a mac discussion, but Lightworks is going to be basically the same across all the platforms. In the past the beta stage has been pretty long and I understand the mac version will be having a beta test of version 12 before the Windows and Linux beta runs in parallel. There's a lot of input during the beta stage, that's where a lot of the nitty gritty stuff is sorted. The developers tend to come out with a new beta version roughly once a week during this period.

No doubt there will be a lot of new input and debate over features, there usually is.

I suspect the reason for using the lightworks experienced editors initially is because of the Lightworks console. They use this when editing rather than just the keyboard and mouse and this allows the editor to really get the best out of Lightworks.

There's a second set of alpha testers, however, I don't know if they've yet been invited to take part.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67905

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
"Lightworks is going to be basically the same across all the platforms."

This is where erroneous thinking starts. Regardless of whether something is DESIGNED to be the same across all platforms, the reality is platforms impose real performance and user experience issues that CANNOT be replicated if you do not test on the platform.
Furthermore the USERS are different! There are many more PROFESSIONAL editors on the Mac platform than PC. Lightworks on Mac can be a game changer in the pro world but it needs to test as early as possible on the PRO PLATFORM OF CHOICE and not extrapolate results from non fulltime semi-pro or amateur users on PCs

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67908

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
ldtowers wrote:
"Lightworks is going to be basically the same across all the platforms."

This is where erroneous thinking starts. Regardless of whether something is DESIGNED to be the same across all platforms, the reality is platforms impose real performance and user experience issues that CANNOT be replicated if you do not test on the platform.
Furthermore the USERS are different! There are many more PROFESSIONAL editors on the Mac platform than PC. Lightworks on Mac can be a game changer in the pro world but it needs to test as early as possible on the PRO PLATFORM OF CHOICE and not extrapolate results from non fulltime semi-pro or amateur users on PCs

Really?

I see Avid on MAC is your choice of NLE.

I wonder how many Avid users would agree with your comments above. Most of whom BTW are PROFESSIONAL editors as you state.

Please don't make such general and unsubstantiated statements.
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67910

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
The Mac alpha stage will probably be just to make sure basic functionality is working (does the installer work correctly, do the panels and menus work, is import, export, effects working, etc.).

The beta stage, where anyone who registers as a beta tester can download it, will probably be the main testing phase where bugs are narrowed down and full functionality is tested.

The Redshark article stated the alpha stage will be relatively short.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67911

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
I'm sure these alpha testers are professional editors. As I added to my earlier message, I suspect the console is key to selecting these early testers and that's not something that the semi pros or hobbyists use. It's an item of kit that non Lightworks users are unlikely to have.

On a positive note, I suspect there should be less variation amongst macs than there has been with PCs running on a wide range of operating systems and brands.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67914

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Most Pro Avid editors edit on MACS so what is your point?

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67916

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
I suspect the majority OS may depend on your location, just as FCP v AVID use seems to, so probably only AVID know the true breakdown.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67918

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
My contacts at Avid indicate the PC installed base is larger but that is mostly in schools.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67928

• ABCRONNIE
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
@idtower

It would seem this discussion is going nowhere.

Your point has been made and I am certain if Editshare felt the need to open up the beta testing for Mac versions of Lightworks to everybody then that is their right to do so.

Mac owners are as entitled as are those that own both Macs and PCs (as I do) to Beta test and personally I believe the more the better. I don't believe in closing off the testing to Mac owners only.

As briandrys has mentioned Lightworks is a cross platform application and the experience of Linux, Windows and Mac Lightworks users all have something to contribute to its development.

Cheers
R.
SYSTEM 1
Alienware M17X R3 Laptop Core i7 2760QM CPU
@ 2.4 Ghz.
8 Gig Ram 1600 DDR3
NVidia 560 M Graphics.
1.5 TB 7200rpm Seagate HDD. Raid 0
17" Full 1920x1080 LED Display
2 x USB 3, 1 x ESata, 1 Gig Ethernet, HDMI 1.4 O/P 2 x USB 2.0 Ports.
Display Port, Blu-Ray / DVD Recorder
Windows 7 64 Bit Pro SP 1. LightworksV11.5.1 Pro. 32bit & 64bit.
SYSTEM 2
Apple MACBook PRO Mid 2012 15inch
Software OS Software OS X 10.8.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
6TB Thunderbolt Raid 5 Media Drive. 750GB Sys Drive
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by ABCRONNIE.

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #67981

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
This message in the other Mac thread may make the alpha position clearer:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=29&id=58953&limit=15&limitstart=60&Itemid=81#67967

EDIT This is basically the same as Matt Sandford's announcement:

"We will begin the second and third waves of Alpha testing later this month, any users that previously registered interest will have access to the Mac Alpha version of Lightworks over the coming weeks."

Re: Lightworks for Mac existing testers? 5 years, 6 months ago #68077

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Matt Sandford has given an update on their alpha tester data base in the other Mac thread.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=29&id=58953&limit=15&limitstart=60&Itemid=81#68045
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top