Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks for Mac

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 5 months ago #9687

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
jefbak wrote:
Love the shaun the sheep farmer (watch this with my 5 year old and its awesome).
Would the mac version be 64 bit? Will windows run it run in vmware or boot camp?

Yes, I watched Shaun the Sheep (or rather FĂ„ret Shaun--the Swedish version) with my 3 year old grandson last year. Aardman Animations are amazing.

Lightworks runs on 64 bit Windows versions even though it is a 32 bit application at the moment. A 64 bit version for Windows is scheduled in the roadmap for later this year as is development of a Mac version. I don't see why a 64 bit Mac version should not become available.

A friend of mine who has a Mac tells me that a 32 bit Windows application like Lightworks should run OK using bootcamp.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 8 years, 5 months ago by shaunthesheep.
The topic has been locked.

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 5 months ago #9711

• Hammerhead
  • 8 years, 5 months ago
Love the shaun the sheep farmer (watch this with my 5 year old and its awesome)

When my eight year old daughter first saw your thumbnail, she said "that's not Shaun the sheep - that's the farmer"
Lightworks development

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12078

• adabis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
as suspected, Apple's FCPX [currently] has ZERO import/export tools for broadcast/film-out workflows. so here I am, sitting on the fence looking over at what you guys are preparing for Mac OS... Happy developing
adabis

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12079

• phaas
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
I'm currently running LightWorks 64 bit on a MacPro under bootcamp and it runs clean!

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12109

• cgbier
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
I wouldn't mind to play alpha tester on OS X.

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12133

• SwissKahuna
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Considering the FCPX outrage, Lightworks may just be what the doctor ordered. I hope the OSX-team can start with its work soon.

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12139

• Freyr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Hi !

Someone knows if both the Mac and Linux versions of Lightworks will come out at the same level of functionalities than the Windows one ? I mean, will the 64bits, GPU support, and all the others "accelerators" be included ?

And if there's a way to alpha test the Mac version, I'm in !

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12179

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
It's really important to understand that while it's possible that work on Lightworks for other OSs could start at any time (pending the successful outcome of the Windows Beta program), it's not going to happen overnight. You can't just recompile the windows version and there are many serious and deep architectural - not to say philosophical- decisions that have to be made along the way.

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12181

• adabis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
did I miss something? I think the posts have just been a positive and eager response to your stated roadmap, which indicates a mac OS version being hopefully worked on in quarter 3 & 4.
The notion that there are philosophical or ethical notions to consider is a different statement altogether.

For the record, I don't think anyone's expecting an overnight quick fix, but what I believe editors are looking for at the moment is a little stability and longterm solutions.
adabis

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12182

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
I didn't say that there were ethical notions to consider. It's philosophical is several senses: in terms of ownership of intelectual property (which type of Open Source licence?), which media frameworks to use or emulate? And I was also saying that it's a big job porting to other operating systems, so don't expect it to happen overnight. There's nothing negative here, just a dose of realism. What's unambiguously positive is that we already all have access to what may be the fastest and most powerful NLE on the planet, and it doesn't cost anything! Not a bad place to start from, however long future versions might take!
Last Edit: 8 years, 3 months ago by Forum Admin.

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12202

• jp_hardcut
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
phaas wrote:
I'm currently running LightWorks 64 bit on a MacPro under bootcamp and it runs clean!

That sounds promising to me - I'll see if I can find my Windows XP install CD then...
It' so sad, after 5 happy years which pulled me from Windows to OSX and from Avid to FCP, the pendulum swings back. FCP-X is just not ready for at least the year to come, and I am not eager to look into all those variants of the Adobe packages.

So I am willing to give Lightworks a shot - or go back to the Steenbeck days

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12205

• cgbier
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
jp_hardcut wrote:
I'll see if I can find my Windows XP install CD then...

That actually sounds like a plan. I have Vista license lying around somewhere.....

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12215

• Freyr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:
I didn't say that there were ethical notions to consider. It's philosophical is several senses: in terms of ownership of intelectual property (which type of Open Source licence?), which media frameworks to use or emulate? And I was also saying that it's a big job porting to other operating systems, so don't expect it to happen overnight. There's nothing negative here, just a dose of realism. What's unambiguously positive is that we already all have access to what may be the fastest and most powerful NLE on the planet, and it doesn't cost anything! Not a bad place to start from, however long future versions might take!

Ok, get it. Don't you think it's gonna be a big (huge ?) amont of work to switch to others frameworks, etc... and so aren't you a bit too much confident programing Linux and Mac versions for Q3 or Q4 ?

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12216

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
Yes, it is a huge amount of work. Clearly, the Windows Beta program isn't finished yet. What you don't see is that there is a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes, and this involves both technical, legal and commercial matters. Until this is all done, the project can't be released to Open Source. That doesn't mean that progress isn't being made - just that you don't see all of it all of the time.

Lightworks for Mac 8 years, 3 months ago #12217

• adabis
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 3 months ago
I think it's less important exactly when an OSX version arrives, but that it arrives for the right reasons, given that there's a hell of a lot of creatives using macs these days, due to macs 'arguably' running a lot of pro software better than their PC counterparts (by no means do I want to enter into a mac vs PC debate here so please no one rise to that it's purely a personal opinion).

Sure there's currently a gap in the market with a lot of jobbing editors feeling dumped by the side of road with lots of flip-flopping and knee-jerking. Beyond all that, it's just another tool to do your job.

Let the dev teams do their thing for this current version - I myself will probably not take part in Windows beta testing as much as I value its importance, and if & when a successful transition becomes available for Mac OS I'm simply saying: excellent, I like what you're doing, respect the public open (free is a bonus but actually less important) framework you're building on, and I'd like to be a part of helping beta test it and seeing how it fares in a top end pro environment.
adabis
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top