TOPIC: Lightworks for Mac

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28346

• tinman
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
jeffryalan wrote:
who have many more "Michelangelo's" to implement realtime updates

.. They could number it up and do a color each!
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by tinman.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28380

• jeffryalan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Forum Admin wrote:
jeffryalan wrote:
It looks like LW has lots of problems to resolve with the Windows version, with no idea at all for a timetable for stable Mac version, the smart thing to do is look at the other editing software at this point (who have many more "Michelangelo's" to implement realtime updates) and see how they evolve to compete with LW

I'm sorry but the negativity in this post breaks the rules of the forum. It is also ill-informed.

My post was neither negative nor positive but objectively neutral. I didn't attack anyone or anything and was posting my opinion based on the other posts I have seen. As my information on the usability is limited to this forum, perhaps you can direct me to the location on your site where users are completely satisfied with development and support of all features rather than lashing out at potential customers?

We will not provide a running commentary on the progress of new versions because that puts undue pressure on the developers and limits the flexibility that we have in our strategy for developing, launching and marketing the products.

What we will do is make announcements from time to time,

I did not ask for updates as it has been made clear that that will never happen, so I have come to the conclusion that it is a smarter decision for myself at this point to not wait for LW on my platform, but to go ahead and invest in other software.

@jeffyalan, the development of the Windows version is actually going very well. If you are basing your claim that there are lots of problems with the windows version on the traffic in this forum, then it is a bit like claiming that a whole country is sick because you have found some ill people in a hospital. This is where people come if they have problems. The vast silent majority are using Lightworks without difficulty.

You are deliberately using oblique metaphors to defend LW and to attack others with real concerns. Are you contrasting a single program with a group of millions of people rather than a single person whose health you learn about through others in one room at that hospital?

Yes in fact, if I hear on this forum that LW is sick and unable to function, then I will listen to that. Maybe stating that this forum is only for problems and 'ill people' is a metaphor that has caused developmental entropy to infect the company mindset. Without exception, every other pro forum I subscribe to has topics that extol the virtues and health of the product through user feedback and not corporate shills, and that is what I am searching for here, however since the Mac version (which is the version that I prefer to wait for) is not available then I have to see what the other users are talking about now.

Please point me to the post where I can judge how healthy LW is and not how sick.

As far as "realtime updates" are concerned; no manufacturer offers this - even if a customer has a paid-for support contract. But the forum is evidence that we can respond extremely rapidly to issues. It is not acceptable for you to say that it is "smarter" to look at other software. We're comfortable with people checking out any software that exists, but it is not OK to imply that if they don't do that then they are less than "smart".

It is extremely arrogant and offensive for you to suggest that it is unacceptable for me to come to my own conclusion as to my software decisions. It is smarter for me right now in my business to focus on another suite of programs that will work right now on an Apple platform and will produce the content I need, immediately.

"Not Acceptable?" That I make the decision for myself to choose the software that I need for my business? Why did you deliberately twist my words into a condemnation of others? I never mentioned any other user either directly or indirectly and have always been referring to myself and my needs. Your attitude is what is not smart here, stop attacking me personally in defense of LW as THAT is completely unacceptable.

Development on Windows, Linux and OS X versions is now being carried out by separate teams. All strands of development are going extremely well. We will make announcements at the appropriate times.

(I fully expect that you will delete this post in a rage of fury that anyone stand up to your personal attacks, but hope that you and others at LW will eventually come to the conclusion that arrogance is the pitfall to be avoided by any company)
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by jeffryalan.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28385

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Wow. What a diatribe. I think you're missing the whole ethos of this forum.

I'm not going to get drawn into this. I stand by my previous post, which was perfectly clear.

If we get any more of this, from you or anyone, then it will be deleted. We need to focus on developing the software, helping fellow forum users and not being grumpy with each other.

Just for reference, here are the rules.
Last Edit: 7 years, 1 month ago by Forum Admin.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28392

• jeffryalan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
I absolutely agree with both the 'ethos' of the forum and the positive intention of my original post to contribute to the conversation of a Mac version of LW:

I said that to me "It looks like LW has lots of problems to resolve with the Windows version"

an appropriate response fitting the official ethos might have been; "yes Jeffry, it might seem from your perspective that there are many problem issues (as noted in the v 11.0.1 release notes), but being that the windows version is still in a testing phase we at LW are happy to address those concerns as quickly as possible through this forum"

"with no idea at all for a timetable for stable Mac version, the smart thing to do is look at the other editing software at this point and see how they evolve to compete with LW"

again, (and in the most positive way), I stated that other companies (with vastly larger resources in regards to software development) will need to respond to the features introduced by LW, and it would be smart (for me) to recognize that while comparing.

RED was revolutionary when it was introduced, but due to possible corporate espionage (stolen prototypes and development documents), delays in the Mysterium sensor, and basic production and support issues, the competing companies have answered with products that directly responded to the advancement in technology. Right now, I would put footage from my hacked GH2 up against any other comparable camera out there.
(but not on LightWorks until a stable Mac version is available).

take this and all my future posts in the spirit it is intended by an artist and professional not ensconced in the production center of the universe/aka el Lay, and with no local community to share LW info

(BTW; calling my post "a diatribe" violates the positive and fun ethos of this forum)

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28480

• Joe Bell
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
The thing is Jeff, what software edits as well as lightworks?

If some other function is more important to you (ie an operating system) then fair enough, but this is the lightworks forum.

Don't get me wrong, I wish lwks was on osx, if it was I'd order several copies immediately, until then... just get on with it.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28481

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
@jeffryalan

Is this what you're looking for?

We have no problems with using Lightworks v11.01. The software is stable and performs all editing and ancillary tasks required with unparalleled ease and excellence in a professonal environment.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28482

• jeffryalan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
RWAV wrote:
@jeffryalan

Is this what you're looking for?

We have no problems with using Lightworks v11.01. The software is stable and performs all editing and ancillary tasks required with unparalleled ease and excellence in a professonal environment.

Indeed!

Can you describe your hardware and software set-up, and what other programs you are integrating?

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 1 month ago #28928

• cecilbarnes
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Hello..
The information you added in this post about Lightworks for Mac is new to me. I was not aware about it. I am glad i visited here and gathered huge info about it.. Thanks.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years ago #29761

noob.

don't know if I'm in the right place for this, or if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

lots of NLE experience (vegas, FCP, avid, speededit, quantel...)

decided to try LW on my mac under bootcamp/xp.

I have a problem with sony vegas, irrespective of version, running on xp or w7 under bootcamp, & it's related to the video hardware & drivers that come with the mac (the same issue on an i7 27" imac, incidentally, though that's different h/w & drivers).

I wondered if the same issue might affect LW under bootcamp, & if this is why everyone is so keen for there to be a native mac version. after all, when bootcamped, the mac hardware is as a native windows environment, not a VM. so this has to be a drivers/GPU thing, right?

LW 11-0-0 (paid version) under bootcamp, xp sp3, on this 2009 unibody mbp with an external display...

I can stretch the application window across the two screens, but the behaviour is peculiar, especially if I then switch off the windows title bar & then put it back on again.

when it came back, the entire title bar was across the top of the main screen, but there was still a "residual" title bar, non-func, across the top of my second screen.

but in any case, video playback was not as good with the app window stretched like this, & wouldn't work on the second display at all.

what I really want to do, of course, is put the timeline, transport controls & bins on one screen, & the viewer window, as big as it will go, in the other.

is there a way to do this?

duncan.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years ago #29765

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Did you try the F12 key. This puts a full screen view of the currently selected viewer on the second monitor.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver

Re: Lightworks for Mac 6 years, 3 months ago #47684

hi sir,

do you have site to download kightworks for mac?

Re: Lightworks for Mac" why everyone is so keen for there to be a native mac version" 6 years, 3 months ago #47694

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
1-Because Windows doesn't work for many of us in content creation.
2-Because almost none of us use only 1 app and rebooting to switch applications is pretty stupid.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 6 years, 3 months ago #47702

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
@marlonvillegas. The Mac alpha is due out shortly for private testing. Keep an eye on the announcements section for news.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 6 years, 3 months ago #47708

• Joe Bell
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 3 months ago
i'll be over that like the proverbial rash

Re: Lightworks for Mac 5 years, 11 months ago #54975

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 11 months ago
Hello,

It's been over two years since LW for Mac was first announced. I became very interested in this editing system when I learnt about it, and I still am. However, after all this time waiting, I would really like to know if there is more accurate information about the Mac version. Is it possible to know if it will be ready this year? Or do you think it will be ready for, say, February 2014?

I think I am not the only one who is interested in LightWorks but who also has to make a decision - in my case, what will replace FCP7, since it will most likely not be X. I have considered Premiere and Avid, but chose LW over them, deciding to give myself the time to learn it later instead of training for other applications now.

But again, it's been over two years and there doesn't seem to be anything certain about the Mac version. I would really appreciate any information you can give us about it so we can make an informed choice.

Thank you.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top