Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks for Mac

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #22528

• battle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Well… Not my opinion! Back to Lightworks topic.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #22532

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Windows 8 turns into a regular desktop when you attach a keyboard and mouse, looks just like win7. I just really hope they don't screw up win8 while they refine it, win7 sure did come out as a good product.

As far as the latest from Apple, I can't say I have really followed it so I won't comment.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #22534

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Greg_E wrote:
I just really hope they don't screw up win8 while they refine it, win7 sure did come out as a good product.

You know the Microsoft story, Greg. Good release/bad release/good release/bad release...

XP was good, W7 is good, so W8 will be?

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #22537

• FlyingGuerilla
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Seems like all OS's are trying to move toward touch screen interfaces. Linux has been dealing with it for over a year with gnome3, unity etc. All of them seem clumsy half-breeds so far.
windows 7 and ubuntu 12.04, amd quadcore, 570gtx nvidia, 4gb ram

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #22538

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I was writing code for touch screen interfaces in the 1980s. They're not by any means new. I also implemented what Apple are claiming they invented - gesture-based touch screen interaction.

As a novelty touchscreens are fine. But I really don't like people putting their greasy fingers on my display!

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #22564

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Touch screens are great for kiosks/phones/tablets and other task specific limited option applications. They are terrible for anything requiring user flexibility.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 6 months ago #23053

• Joe Bell
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I can't recall the source, but I read somewhere that Apple encountered problems testing out touchscreen on laptop/desktop devices, arm ache etc.

Just to chime in, Lightworks is working fine on my Bootcamp Mac Pro (windows 7 on a separate drive).

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 4 months ago #26965

Hi, sorry if i'm out of topic or if i arrived too late for the news... but as i can see there is no Lightworks for Mac except for if i use Bootcamp or something like that... am i right?
Thanks!
Francesco Marotta
editor-colorist
Mob. +39 3477045150
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.francescomarotta.com

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 4 months ago #26967

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 4 months ago
Francesco Marotta wrote:
Hi, sorry if i'm out of topic or if i arrived too late for the news... but as i can see there is no Lightworks for Mac except for if i use Bootcamp or something like that... am i right?
Thanks!

Hi Francesco - welcome to the forum!

There is going to be a version for the Mac. We're already working on it, but it is at a very early stage in its development. We expect to have the Linux version out first, followed by the Mac version.

So it's not ready yet, but it is on its way.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 4 months ago #27192

• jeffryalan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 4 months ago
Early stages? (groan.....)
Is there a realistic ETA, say six months, less than a year?
I would say there is at least as many pro's using Apple and Linux as Windows, massive fail not to recognize the market here.
(bootcamp etc. is not the answer)

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 4 months ago #27194

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 4 months ago
jeffryalan wrote:
I would say there is at least as many pro's using Apple and Linux as Windows, massive fail not to recognize the market here.

Welcome to the forum, Jeffryalan.

How is aggressively developing Linux and Mac versions of Lightworks as quickly as we possibly can a failure to recognise the potential market?

We have already said that the Linux version is going well and will soon be in Alpha testing, and that the Mac version will follow that. The reason we're not being more specific is because we don't have any more detailed estimates. If we were to give any more detail, it would be guesswork, and that's not helpful to us or to you.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 4 months ago #27196

• jeffryalan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 4 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:
jeffryalan wrote:

Welcome to the forum, Jeffryalan.

How is aggressively developing Linux and Mac versions of Lightworks as quickly as we possibly can a failure to recognise the potential market?

no need to be specific, I am sure you have a good sense of workflow for development at this point and have at least a vague projected window timeframe from the developers (I hope!)

We have already said that the Linux version is going well and will soon be in Alpha testing, and that the Mac version will follow that. The reason we're not being more specific is because we don't have any more detailed estimates. If we were to give any more detail, it would be guesswork, and that's not helpful to us or to you.

Thank you for your near instant response. I know you are working towards implementing LW on the other platforms us creative types sometime prefer, just trying to extrapolate market speak terms such as 'aggressive' and 'as soon as we possibly can' into real world values, and asking for an answer to "will it be completed in under a year" is a fair question at this point.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 4 months ago #27207

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 4 months ago
With software development, Michaelangelo's answer to Pope Julius II is probably most appropriate.

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 3 months ago #28335

• jeffryalan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
It looks like LW has lots of problems to resolve with the Windows version, with no idea at all for a timetable for stable Mac version, the smart thing to do is look at the other editing software at this point (who have many more "Michelangelo's" to implement realtime updates) and see how they evolve to compete with LW

Re: Lightworks for Mac 7 years, 3 months ago #28344

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
jeffryalan wrote:
It looks like LW has lots of problems to resolve with the Windows version, with no idea at all for a timetable for stable Mac version, the smart thing to do is look at the other editing software at this point (who have many more "Michelangelo's" to implement realtime updates) and see how they evolve to compete with LW

I'm sorry but the negativity in this post breaks the rules of the forum. It is also ill-informed.

We will not provide a running commentary on the progress of new versions because that puts undue pressure on the developers and limits the flexibility that we have in our strategy for developing, launching and marketing the products.

What we will do is make announcements from time to time,

@jeffyalan, the development of the Windows version is actually going very well. If you are basing your claim that there are lots of problems with the windows version on the traffic in this forum, then it is a bit like claiming that a whole country is sick because you have found some ill people in a hospital. This is where people come if they have problems. The vast silent majority are using Lightworks without difficulty.

As far as "realtime updates" are concerned; no manufacturer offers this - even if a customer has a paid-for support contract. But the forum is evidence that we can respond extremely rapidly to issues. It is not acceptable for you to say that it is "smarter" to look at other software. We're comfortable with people checking out any software that exists, but it is not OK to imply that if they don't do that then they are less than "smart".

Development on Windows, Linux and OS X versions is now being carried out by separate teams. All strands of development are going extremely well. We will make announcements at the appropriate times.
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by Forum Admin.
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top