• Page:

TOPIC: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display

Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years, 10 months ago #83672

• Mike14755
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
When I open Lightworks I get the following error;

Lightworks will not run optimally using the integrated intel graphics hardware. Please consider switching to the discrete nvidia graphics.

As the 13" only has one graphics card is there a answer to this error so far when open I have not found any problems yet

Re: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years, 10 months ago #83679

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is not about a bug I have moved this to a better forum for you. You're more likely to get the help that you need here. The "Bugs" forum is intended for reporting programming errors to the developers. This is not one of those.

That said, the message that you're receiving is correct. The Intel graphics chip provided with Mac Book Pro is seriously underpowered when it comes to handling video and effects.

I know that you can option some Mac Books with an add-on nVidia display card - a graphic artist friend of mine has one. I don't know the product line well enough to know whether your particular laptop falls into that class.

As for there being no problems at the moment - if the system meets your needs, fine. You don't need to do anything. But you may encounter problems down the track. As I said earlier, that display controller is seriously underpowered for this type of application.

Re: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years, 10 months ago #83684

• Mike14755
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Thanks at least I know what the problem is .

Re: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years, 1 month ago #100278

• xajen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
I just recently got a new Macbook Pro 13.3 w/ Retina display and was checking out Lightworks. After watching your online basic videos I was really excited about using your product. I downloaded and installed, imported some clips and when I play clips it is horrific. I received the warning about not having dedicated video, but I didn't think that would apply to just playing the video clip alone. I thought maybe the rendering or something else would just be slower.

I tested playing the video clip outside lightworks with quicktime and the playback was smooth.

I get the impression that I am just out of luck and will not be able to use your product

I really like your Interface, simplicity to task, and speed of export in your training videos and was really looking forward to using Lightworks.

Re: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years, 1 month ago #100333

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
This program has a long history of running on high powered graphics grade workstations. Most laptops aren't equipped to run it well and it seriously stresses their thermal envelopes. I've used my old Toshiba to edit DV footage with Lightworks, but it won't do hi-def. I've also melted the DC power supply cord to the point where it shorted out a couple of times too, running two upgraded 7200 RPM drives and maxing out the performance.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years, 1 month ago #100353

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
I received the warning about not having dedicated video

You should be able to forcibly enable your dedicated graphics for when you run Lightworks. gfxCardStatus is one handy utility for doing this.
Lightworks Development
Last Edit: 4 years, 1 month ago by Great White.

Re: Mac Book Pro 13"Retina Display 4 years ago #100874

• Mike14755
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years ago
The 13 Macbook pro Retina has only 1onboard graphics card so it is not possible to change even though Lightworks always ask to change cards when starting I have had no problems using the onboard graphics card so far.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.76 seconds
Scroll To Top