Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions

First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71700

• salar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Just made a quick test, having worked on Avid, FCP7, Premiere, Liquid.
Using a late 2012 MBP, 2.2 gHz Intel Core i7 MBP, 16 gigs of Ram, AMD Radeon HD6750M, os X 10.8.5

Tested with h.264 / 1080p24.
Maybe not a good format to start with, but one I used more and more over the last two years and this Macbook is capable in editing AVCHD.

First impression of Lightworks 12.0 for the Mac: Very easy to use and understand.

mts import -via "Create Link" is possible but lags (very small clips import o.k, longer clips take very long to import. A 50gigs card was still not analyzed after 30 Minutes.

Playback lagged at first, seemed to play fine after restarting Lightworks, then the issue came back. The first two edits played fine, after the third playback completely freezed.

It looks that at least 12.0. is not capable of editing h.264 natively.
Will this be an upcoming feature? Or is it a buggy feature?

Did not test native Prores or tried transcode yet - have to find out wether I can store transcoded files
where I want.

Big issue:
No second screen for playback (greyed out in preferences)
No ability to store the project in a custom location - seems to be normal for the free version.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by salar.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71705

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Nice to hear your first impressions, but usually you put the beta feedback into the appropriate beta forum. Betas are subject to quick changes, so this means that people don't get out of date info in the main forum in the coming weeks.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71715

• salar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Could it be that the beta forum only shows up when you are logged in?
Did not see it before doing this post

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71721

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Beta forums show when you sign in. However, I don't see a beta symbol on your icon, so maybe they're a bit behind in setting the beta forums on the web site. Usually you have to agree terms etc when you sign up for the beta programme.

I can't see the Mac beta forums because I haven't signed up for them, only the Windows beta forums.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71873

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
salar wrote:
Just made a quick test, having worked on Avid, FCP7, Premiere, Liquid.
Using a late 2012 MBP, 2.2 gHz Intel Core i7 MBP, 16 gigs of Ram, AMD Radeon HD6750M, os X 10.8.5

Tested with h.264 / 1080p24.
Maybe not a good format to start with, but one I used more and more over the last two years and this Macbook is capable in editing AVCHD.

First impression of Lightworks 12.0 for the Mac: Very easy to use and understand.

mts import -via "Create Link" is possible but lags (very small clips import o.k, longer clips take very long to import. A 50gigs card was still not analyzed after 30 Minutes.

Playback lagged at first, seemed to play fine after restarting Lightworks, then the issue came back. The first two edits played fine, after the third playback completely freezed.

Did not test native Prores or tried transcode yet - have to find out wether I can store transcoded files
where I want.

Big issue:
No ability to store the project in a custom location - seems to be normal for the free version.

Transcoding to an i-frame mezzanine codec like Prores makes for a much better editing experience. I like to work in uncompressed 10 bit AVI and playback is much better with that than with any long GOP compressed codec like H.264.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71924

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
salar wrote:

Big issue:

We are talking about beta software.
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 5 years, 4 months ago by ArteD.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71929

• heavyeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
Overall, I'm very happy about LWS initiative to keep working on an editing software. Second, it sounds better than it is and that's why I'm soon gonna provide a list of issues that need to be solved and others that don't work. I've been editing for 10 years and I can very quickly detect missing features on a software based on my experience that are a MUST on an editing software that wants to hit professional market.
Thanks y'all !!
frame by frame
francescsitgessarda.com

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71933

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
The developers seem to like having lists that they work through. However, I suspect they don't want to put out more new features than they can handle at a single time. Past betas have lasted a few months and I'm sure the Windows and Linux users will also throw in their issues.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71935

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
heavyeditor wrote:
Overall, I'm very happy about LWS initiative to keep working on an editing software. Second, it sounds better than it is and that's why I'm soon gonna provide a list of issues that need to be solved and others that don't work. I've been editing for 10 years and I can very quickly detect missing features on a software based on my experience that are a MUST on an editing software that wants to hit professional market.
Thanks y'all !!

While not all of the necessary features have been implemented in the cross platform open desktop versions of Lightworks yet, I will point out that along with Avid this is the oldest and most highly developed heavy iron professional NLE on the market. It uses a slightly different paradigm and may have different methods of doing similar tasks to other NLE's since is was designed first for feature film DI,not as a video editor, but that does not mean it is or will be lacking important essentials when done.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71936

• heavyeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
I've been hearing from lightworks since I can remember. Have no doubt they gonna end up with THE NEXT editing solution.
frame by frame
francescsitgessarda.com

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years, 4 months ago #71937

• heavyeditor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 4 months ago
totally agree.
important to know how/what features to prioritize.
frame by frame
francescsitgessarda.com

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years ago #79961

I've just downloaded Lightworks for Mac. Didn't know it was an alpha version. So if I spot problems with the interface should I post them here? Or send feedback directly?

Is there a basic Help file somewhere? I've been working through the tutorial video but have some very elementary questions (such as How the heck do I undo? command-z isn't working.)

So far Lightworks looks really promising. I'm teaching an editing class and we need a cross-platform software that everyone can use (and afford, at least for the duration of the class). If there are newbie mistakes I can assure you we will make them.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years ago #79965

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years ago
elmstreetschool wrote:
I've just downloaded Lightworks for Mac. Didn't know it was an alpha version.

It isn't. This is the current release of the software. It has already been through both alpha and public beta test phases.

elmstreetschool wrote:
So if I spot problems with the interface should I post them here? Or send feedback directly?

Posting here should be fine. Just please don't post non-bug issues here. For example, if the trim mode doesn't work, it's a bug. If the trim mode works differently to the way that you like to work it isn't a bug. You should either post an issue like that in the feature requests forum or if you just need help in the editing forum.

elmstreetschool wrote:
Is there a basic Help file somewhere? I've been working through the tutorial video but have some very elementary questions (such as How the heck do I undo? command-z isn't working.)

I assume that the tutorials that you refer to are these. You will also find very good user tutorials in the Hints & Tips forum, and in the Lightworks unofficial wiki you will also find a lot of useful information.

My understanding is that because of the significant changes in version 12 the documentation is being reworked, however you should check the documentation here.

And finally, your undo problem. I currently use the Windows version, which uses Ctrl-Z for undo. However you can assign any key combination that you like to undo. Either from the lobby click on System Settings and select Key Assignments, or from within a project click on Editor Preferences.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Once there, scroll down to the Undo command. You'll notice that there are two of them. You can change either or both to be triggered by whatever keyboard combination you prefer.

There is also a Redo command which you can assign, and both Undo and Redo are available from the timeline.

Unlike a lot of other editors, Lightworks only stores undo steps when you make a change to an edit. Moving items around the desktop cannot be undone except by manually returning them to where they came from. However Lightworks' Undo and Redo will survive a reboot. You can look at the edit that you were doing yesterday in the cold hard light of day and undo it.

Hope some of that helps. Welcome to the forums.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 5 years ago #79972

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years ago
elmstreetschool wrote:
So far Lightworks looks really promising. I'm teaching an editing class and we need a cross-platform software that everyone can use (and afford, at least for the duration of the class). If there are newbie mistakes I can assure you we will make them.

Lightworks is useful for teaching because students can download the Free version and use it to practice on in their own time. Although, you should remember that any projects cut on the Free version, requiring anything more than YouTube 720p, will need the Archive exported to a Pro or EDU version to allow an export on the final delivery codec.

Education: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=212
Last Edit: 5 years ago by briandrys.

Re: First time Lightworks User on a Mac - first impressions 4 years, 12 months ago #81346

Thanks for all the advice. The Undo was easy to fix -- I had gone into the keyboard shortcuts to reassign it but didn't realize I was just adding shortcuts, not changing them.

We had the first run-through today. Activation was tricky because the classroom wifi is sporadic and some of the kids don't have their own email accounts. But most were able to create a project and import footage. I love the fact that the interface looks the same on Mac and Windows machines, after trying to use a collection of different programs to do the same task. And the Free version should be fine since we don't need any more than 720p at this stage.
Last Edit: 4 years, 12 months ago by elmstreetschool.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top