Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #62543

• ldtowers
  • Senior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
Very interested in alpha testing. Moreover can leverage a pool of editors, literally hundreds of computers to test various configurations. Let use alpha test and we can tell you how it performs on everything from 2009 iMacs to 2008 thru current Mac Pros with multiple types of graphics cards. Does it get any better than that?
The topic has been locked.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #62685

• skiptracer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
I'm very interested in testing. The company I'm working for is planning on ditching FCP 7 later this year and I'm hoping to convince them to go with Lightworks rather than Final Cut X or Premiere but they're exclusively mac based. Having access to the alpha would definitely help my case.

Thanks

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #62896

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
skiptracer wrote:
The company I'm working for is planning on ditching FCP 7 later this year and I'm hoping to convince them to go with Lightworks rather than Final Cut X or Premiere but they're exclusively mac based. Having access to the alpha would definitely help my case.

Well, for a company, with a few editing machines, this sounds like a very good investment... depending on your workflow, you might even have a few machines using the Free version (call it offline editing) and then take the resulting edition to the machines with the Pro version for final tweaks, post, and outputting. And while they might argue that "we'll have to learn that new NLE", the same will happen with Avid, Premiere and even FCPX. With the savings from using LWKS a company could invest in some training and everyone wins.

Just keep in mind that according to the administrators:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=29&id=58953&limit=15&limitstart=30&Itemid=81#61807
"The Mac version will be ready for Alpha testing very soon after the release of 11.5 on Windows and Linux. The Mac version will be version 12 of Lightworks which will feature even more interface changes and improvements."

So make sure you mention to your boss that this would be still an Alpha version... I suppose until everyone learns LWKS and starts using less and less FCP7 the final version would be ready. We should have the Alpha for Mac this month according to the announcements.

It would be appreciated if we could have a list of the system requirements for Mac, though... LightWorks team, could you please post that in here?

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #64962

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
briandrys wrote:
There is an announcement on Facebook from December saying: "Yes, EditShare is planning to release an alpha version of Lightworks for Mac by February or sooner."

It adds that anyone wanting to be involved should keep an eye on the forum. I suspect you'd need to be quick off the mark because the Linux alpha testing places went very quickly.

So... any news from the FB front? February will be over soon and there have not been news (or answers) about the Mac version in this forum. It's been a few weeks since LightWorks was labeled as 3-platform in the features list, so I assumed it was almost ready to go.

Does anyone know something?

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #64963

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65436

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
briandrys wrote:

Thank you.

Matt Sandford wrote:
We are working on getting the Mac version ready for Alpha testing which should happen over the coming weeks (no date confirmed yet) The Mac Alpha is anticipated to last only for a few weeks while we make sure everything is as expected. Version 12 will then be released as a Public Beta on Windows, Linux and Mac! Again, this is all dependent on testing etc but we hope this to all happen very quickly. I will keep you updated

Thanks for the information. Have there been any updates yet? It's been two weeks since this announcement and two months since LWKS was described as "The only tri-platform editing software on the market" on the features list. I assume the Mac version is very close, can you give us a hint of when will the Alpha version be ready?

Also, it would be very useful for Mac users if you could post the system requirements and such for this version.

Thanks again.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65881

• Will Vincent
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
This is entirely speculation.. but...

With NAB right around the corner, it wouldn't surprise me if they announce the release of version 12, for all three platforms including mac, then.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65882

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
In the past they've always run a public beta before the release version. I can't see there being a change in this procedure with version 12, especially since they've stated that there'll be a public beta across all three platforms.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65919

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Will Vincent wrote:
This is entirely speculation.. but...

With NAB right around the corner, it wouldn't surprise me if they announce the release of version 12, for all three platforms including mac, then.

I'd rather not speculate, but given the lack of official answers in the forums we don't have much else to go with.

The Mac version of LightWorks was first announced over two years and a half ago, and it has been postponed a few times. Last two announced dates I remember were last quarter of 2013 and February 2014 or before. Therefore we could assume that LWKS will try to release the Mac version as soon as possible to avoid further delays. But, given that NAB is an important event, maybe it will be a good move for them to announce it there, as something huge: version 12 with new features and the only tri-platform NLE, it would be a very powerful announcement and would give good press to LWKS. Let's hope that's the reason behind the secrecy. But information > speculation when you have to make decisions on this field.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65920

• Will Vincent
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
briandrys wrote:
In the past they've always run a public beta before the release version. I can't see there being a change in this procedure with version 12, especially since they've stated that there'll be a public beta across all three platforms.

And you don't think announcing a public beta is NAB-worthy?

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65924

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I suspect announcing the version 12 public beta at NAB would be the target, with the Mac alpha testing in the weeks preceding NAB. It's quite possible that new features in version 12 that are holding things up, rather than the Mac aspect. Unfortunately, target dates slipping doesn't seem to be unique to Lightworks, the same thing happened with RED, so they just stopped giving them.

In the past Lightworks have brought out a public beta in the weeks following NAB or IBC. I'd expect to see version 12 at NAB on all three platforms, even if the Mac alpha testing has slipped.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65927

• Will Vincent
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Target date slippage is a fact of life for development.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65974

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Will Vincent wrote:
Target date slippage is a fact of life for development.

Back when I used to write software it certainly was! Try explaining to the sales department why the product they've been aggressively marketing won't be ready to ship when they planned (often on a date they chose and not the development team).

It was like that twenty-five years ago, I guess it's still like that.

By the way, there's also the other truism of development - there's always one more bug!

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #65977

• Will Vincent
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
jwrl wrote:
By the way, there's also the other truism of development - there's always one more bug!

No no no.. those aren't bugs, they're features

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #66010

I really hope that they announce the Mac version soon - I don't want to have to install Windows on my Mac just to use Lightworks, although I'm seriously tempted to!

I'm glad we finally did get the news of Version 12 being the tri-platform version!
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top