Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #60288

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
Thanks to everyone for participating and adding to the discussion.

Yes, we all know the software is free and I for one do mention in the first post of this topic that "we cannot expect much resources going to its development". We are aware of that, but even so I think Mac users could be given a basic hint of when LWKS might be available for this platform. Last announced date for the launch was Q4 2013, and that is gone too. We all have been waiting patiently (as some suggest) for a long while, but it becomes difficult to keep on when there is no information about how long it might still take (besides, I think it would be easier for me to wait if I had Avid, which I don't... I am saving myself for LightWorks and the money for other computer-related needs).

Jui, I thank you for sharing your experience with the software, that kind of comment is one of the things that make me keep on waiting for it. I know it will probably be different from other NLE and I will have to re-learn some stuff, but the same will happen with any replacement (FCP X included - not considered yet). Your lengthy post was very informative and useful.

I think the message above is off-topic, since no one here is "demanding" any free software now or ever. All we are asking for is information about said software, which has been delayed for a while, making users feel uncomfortable. The same goes for the "moaning and whining", please refrain from posting messages that lower the tone and the level of the discussion. Let's keep this a nice forum to participate in.

An interesting point is that LightWorks "has only one shot", I don't think it's as dramatic as that but I understand that they are trying to give a very good first impression with the Mac version and therefore taking more time to work on it. This NLE seems to be a very strong contender, and what Jui mentions about companies "migrating" from FCP with all the hardware ready sounds as a good opportunity for LWKS - and for those companies as well, of course. Also, one could think, other software vendors might amplify the echoes of any problem with LightWorks for Mac as to avoid losing market (sadly, those things happen sometimes). So probably the LWKS team is just giving small careful steps developing it to avoid any little chance of getting bad reviews and comments, which I understand.

It might be that they are planning to launch this version after NAB, as briandrys suggests, it sounds a bit logical. That would be in April, according to www.nabshow.com/ so let's hope to receive some information before that date. (Also, just thinking out loud... if LightWorks wants someone to try the NLE before NAB, many users here, including myself, would gladly collaborate!)

Thanks for contributing with your ideas, information and experience, hopefully soon all this will be directed towards actually learning to use the program!
Last Edit: 5 years, 9 months ago by DJAnt1.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #60290

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
I think that the MAC version will be out as soon as it is possible for the devs to get it out. EditShare has delivered on the Linux version and v11.5 works brilliantly on Ubuntu. I see no reason to worry about the OSX version being delivered.

The OSX version could be the most important development for Lightworks because, as someone has already said, it is well entrenched in Hollywood and the other global film and TV studio hubs and is the traditional OS of choice for many professional editors. I am guessing it will make a big splash when it is released.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 5 years, 9 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #60484

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
There is an announcement on Facebook from December saying: "Yes, EditShare is planning to release an alpha version of Lightworks for Mac by February or sooner."

It adds that anyone wanting to be involved should keep an eye on the forum. I suspect you'd need to be quick off the mark because the Linux alpha testing places went very quickly.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #60503

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for the information!

When you say "keep an eye on the forum", do you mean this one? Or do you know of other place to write to if I want to "reserve a place" for testing LightWorks? I would have thought they would inform this forum of the releasing, now I am in doubt whether this is the best place to "take a seat" for the Alpha version.

Thanks again for the info.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #60504

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
I'm not speaking for Editshare, it's just what they put up on Facebook. I'd imagine if you're interested it would be a good idea to keep a regular eye on the forum announcements and in the Mac section of the forum.

They're talking about the release version of 11.5 happening around the end of this month, so it might be a good idea to check daily as that time approaches. A number of people have already expressed interest in the forum, but I don't know if Editshare are following up those names and/or starting a fresh list.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #60515

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
Perhaps it may be a good idea for Editshare to enter into something like a 'Kikstarter' project so all the Mac enthusiasts can put in some development funds. Say the cost of a Pro license?

I'm sure if more programmers were hired, progress would be faster.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #61259

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
This might sound weird, but some of us don't have a FaceBook account. Yes, I know, and I did say that it might sound weird.

Anyway, since the news about the release of the alpha version in February or before did not appear in the LightWorks forum but on FB, I am kindly asking those of you who do have an account there to let us know here, in this forum when they announce it... we still have about a week before it happens I guess, but just in case.

Thanks a lot and good Alpha for you.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #61260

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
Yes, that's a point.. FaceWhat?
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #61326

• Sebrofj
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
If people who make their living from video editing want this so badly, why don't they just buy a PC?

Sadly, I suspect logic isn't going to win the day here.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #61359

• Jui
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
@Sebrofj:

A reasonable question, I suppose.

Here's my answer:

1) Because if you already have Apple hardware, investing into PC hw is still an investment, which might be totally unnecessary if LW is released for OSX say, a month later. Also, it's a bit bigger hassle than just walking into a computer store and getting an office PC.
2) Because you probably don't want to just go buy new hardware for your edit without even testing the new NLE you are interested in. You wouldn't buy a car without having a test drive or buy a house without seeing it, right? If I always bought a new system whenever I wanted to see if certain software is useful to me or not, I would spend all my money on hardware and most of my time configuring it.

Also, you might consider the possibility that someone has, say, five edit suites. If that someone had decided FCP won't cut it anymore, he or she might be extremely interested in getting a new NLE that runs on the same hardware. It's a question of money, familiarity with the hardware, hw support etc. Migrating from PC to Mac or vice versa is a more complex issue in a company environment, even without considering the cost involved.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 9 months ago #61388

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 9 months ago
When you add the fact that most people acquire a collection of helper tools, changing from Apple to PC will mean that the computer outlay won't be the only money they spend. They'll also have to source and buy equivalents to those applications too.

Then add to that the workflows that would need to change. There are Mac features that have no direct equivalents in the PC world and vice versa. Coping with those can mean learning a whole new set of techniques, often while your client is looking over your shoulder.

I can understand a reluctance to swap platforms.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #61402

• kschanaman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
So much is said about not being able to demand much from developers of free programs. While true, I personally feel they should receive more financial support. Even above and beyond the $60 annual fee which, as mentioned by other posters, mostly goes toward satisfying the codec licensing requirement.

As a Linux user here, this editing software is so appreciated since most other editing packages for the OS are super difficult to get any work done. My 'day job' for now is in the roofing industry, and I am looking forward to busy season picking up in another couple months at which time I will have the funds to subscribe and send more 'above and beyond.' Hoping others are doing the same!?

Purchase of a Mac here went out the door as soon as I heard about how they dropped the ball with the latest Final Cut Pro. I am rooting for you Mac users to have Lwks available to you. You've suffered enough.

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #61410

• osaeris
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
I can understand why Mac users are keen to get Lightworks but the Linux version being released first was necessary because there are no usable alternatives on that platform.

There are plenty of options already for Mac users: Premiere CS, FCP, even iMovie.

An afterthought: Is it not possible to dual boot Ubuntu/OSX on an Intel Mac and get access to lightworks that way ?
Lightworks 14.5
Ubuntu Studio 18 LTS (64 bit),
Custom workstation Xeon E3-1270v2, 16Gb RAM
1 x 120Gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD
1 x 120Gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD (project drive)
1 x 2Tb, 1 x 3Tb SATA drives
NVidia GTX 950 (2Gb)
2 x NEC widescreen monitor
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8
Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro PCIE

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #61514

• Ralle!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Hey!

I recently switched from Windows to OS X ans would like to become a tester for Lightworks on Mac.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Please, let us know what is happening with the Mac version. 5 years, 8 months ago #61517

• conleec
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 years, 8 months ago
Stand in line, I think.

There seems to be a long list of folks willing to test. Now we just need something TO test.

Chris
www.ChrisConlee.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm0174749
MacPro (Early 2009 Nehalem, Dual 2.66 Quad Core)
OS X 10.8.3 (Win 7 Pro 64 bit under Bootcamp)
24Gb Ram
GTX 285 GPU
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top