Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mac version?

Mac version? 7 years, 3 months ago #23137

• firewire7
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
I though also Mac version was supposed to be released today?

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 3 months ago #23147

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
This question has been asked repeatedly on the old forums, and I'll answer the same way. No, it has never been stated that the OS-X version would be released at the same time as Windows.

There has been a mammoth amount of work put into the Windows-based beta and its various alpha releases to get this to the stage where it could be made portable, and to also remove dependencies that could adversely affect whatever open source model is ultimately chosen for this product.

Based on demonstrations that have been posted here and elsewhere, it appears that work has already begun on the Linux version. I understand that after the Linux release the Mac version should follow reasonably quickly. Given that both are based around Unix that would make sense in any case.

Hopefully the alpha program for Linux has started. I wouldn't know about that, but I suspect that the work done in the Windows alpha program should make the Linux alpha program simpler and much shorter.

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 3 months ago #23157

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
JWRL said:
Hopefully the alpha program for Linux has started. I wouldn't know about that, but I suspect that the work done in the Windows alpha program should make the Linux alpha program simpler and much shorter.

All correct but the Alpha testing hasn't started yet for Linux. It's not far off though. Yes, the Linux and Mac versions are down the same development path but it's just that we get to a usable version of Linux Lightworks before we get to the Mac one.

Almost all of the code in Lightworks is now OS independent: so any work that goes into the "top" version will benefit all three versions.

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 3 months ago #23252

• benhasglasses
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
Any rough idea of a timeline of the linux and osx versions release dates?

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 3 months ago #23258

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
@benhasglasses

All we're able to say at this stage is that Lightworks for Linux Alpha testing is not far away. Beyond that, the timeline depends on how the testing progresses.

The OS X and Linux versions are fairly closely related so once Linux is out, there shouldn't be too long to wait for the Mac version, but, again, that will all depend on progress, which is extremely hard to predict.

However, all three versions share a very large amount of code, which means that the OS-specific layer is relatively small.

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 3 months ago #23266

• Rik74
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 3 months ago
of an early version for OS, I would be also very glad & happy

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 2 months ago #26511

• ahjteam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Forum Admin wrote:
@benhasglasses

All we're able to say at this stage is that Lightworks for Linux Alpha testing is not far away. Beyond that, the timeline depends on how the testing progresses.

The OS X and Linux versions are fairly closely related so once Linux is out, there shouldn't be too long to wait for the Mac version, but, again, that will all depend on progress, which is extremely hard to predict.

However, all three versions share a very large amount of code, which means that the OS-specific layer is relatively small.

How far back are you going to support OSX? Snow Leopard? Leopard?

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 2 months ago #26691

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
ahjteam wrote:
How far back are you going to support OSX? Snow Leopard? Leopard?

Why would a developer want to go back and support an OS that is no longer supported by Apple?
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 2 months ago #26700

• Joe Bell
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
With these things you can't hang on. If it was on osx I'd be ordering 5 copies today, as it happens I would have to fanny around with windows, and that brings complications as we're 100% osx.

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 2 months ago #26713

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Depending on how they code it, it might work on fairly old versions, part of this will depend on whether they decide to jump straight to 64bit for Linux and OSX, that will determine how far back they can go (other issues aside). If they can hit 10.6 and newer, they will get most all Macs that are still in operation (highest version that the first generation of Intel machines can run).

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 2 months ago #26731

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Joe Bell wrote:
With these things you can't hang on. If it was on osx I'd be ordering 5 copies today, as it happens I would have to fanny around with windows, and that brings complications as we're 100% osx.

We're working on Linux first, and then OS X. We'd love them to be available today but you can't rush these things - they also have to be tested.

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 2 months ago #26737

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years, 2 months ago
Actually, just to clarify: we are currently working on the Mac (OS X) version - we're not waiting until the Linux version is finished, but Linux is more advanced and is likely to be out first.

Re: Mac version? 7 years, 1 month ago #28464

• Chazfest
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 1 month ago
Stoked for OSX.

Re: Mac version? 7 years ago #29771

• ahjteam
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years ago
Forum Admin wrote:
Actually, just to clarify: we are currently working on the Mac (OS X) version - we're not waiting until the Linux version is finished, but Linux is more advanced and is likely to be out first.

Any timeframe for the release of either Linux or Mac version? 2012? 2013? 2014? I tried to check from the roadmap, but there was no estimates on the schedule there.

Re: Mac version? 7 years ago #29776

• Forum Admin
    Pro User
  • 7 years ago
It will be sooner rather than later, but I do not have any more information than that. We will make announcements when either version is ready for alpha or beta testing.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top