• Page:

TOPIC: more frequent UI thumbs crashes

more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224219

• mugloch
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hi,

Like a few other posters recently, I'm having frequent crashes that seem to relate to thumbnails.

In my case it happens exclusively when I try to import new files. As soon as I click 'local files' in the Log tab, immediate crash.

I've tried ensuring other applications are closed to avoid low memory issues, but that doesn't seem to help. I've also tried disabling timeline thumbs, but only done that now so I can't tell what effect that has yet.

Attached are two OS crash logs, both from tonight, with same behaviour. Also attached most relevant Lightworks logs

best,
Scott
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224220

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hello,

Is this just a bug report addressing Editshare development or are you asking for currently known workarounds?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224222

• mugloch
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Sorry, yes, asking for workarounds.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224227

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
First, I'm not with Editshare, just a user of the software. There are multiple bug reports dealing with the problem. It appears to happen currently mainly on OSX systems.

One of your Lightworks logs show 1.3 GB of free memory out of 16 GB, whatever this is caused by. That's not enough for stable operations. Furthermore, it appears that you use a lot of clips with inter-frame compression (long GOP). This kind of material puts high load on the computer when creating thumbnails and analyzing files, and of course, also when editing.

Saying all that, based on my current knowledge of the problem, I think the most reliable and straight forward workaround is falling back to Lightworks V14.5.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224235

• mugloch
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Thanks Hugly. The memory issue is frustrating, seems like even when I free up memory before opening lightworks (and close most other applications), it still drops below 4gb available memory. I'll have to look into that.

Re. falling back to lightworks 14.5, I have a couple of questions.
- will projects made in 2020 open on 14.5?
- will installing 14.5 overwrite my 'lightworks' folder, and recent projects list?

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224237

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Lightworks keeps program and user data strictly separated. Installing a different version or uninstalling the current doesn't affect user data. You can even install multiple versions sided by side on OSX and Windows and work on the same projects. I switch between V14.0., V14.5 and 2020.1 quite frequently without trouble.

To move to the absolutely safe side, you can make a copy of the user folder 'Lightworks', which contains all project data, media links and settings, prior to installing V14.5. You'll find it in your home directory: "/Users/<current user>/Lightworks"

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224239

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
I'm using a different operating system, but I think you should investigate first:

mugloch wrote:
The memory issue is frustrating, seems like even when I free up memory before opening lightworks (and close most other applications), it still drops below 4gb available memory. I'll have to look into that.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 5 months ago by schrauber.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224243

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
I've switched between V14.5 and V2020.1 during the beta testing period without any issues.

The projects folder is in a separate location on your computer.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224244

• mugloch
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Thanks Hugly, Schrauber, and briandrys!
Last Edit: 5 months ago by mugloch.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224245

• schrauber
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
How does OSX manage inactive RAM, where closed programs, data etc. are buffered (cache in RAM, not on the drive)? Is it marked as available memory, as in Win 10, which is automatically and immediately available for active program when needed?

Do you use an Intel GPU- which uses video memory from shared RAM? If so, how does OSX or the graphics drivers manage the memory allocated for the GPU? Can you monitor the memory currently used by the GPU? Is the memory currently not used by the GPU automatically freed up for programs?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1.1 & Beta 2021.x; || Windows 10 Home 1909, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 5 months ago by schrauber.

Re: more frequent UI thumbs crashes 5 months ago #224251

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Please let us know if switching to V14.5 fixes the issue.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top