Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: specific project crashes on opening

specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221361

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi

I have one current project that keeps crashing instantaneously when I try to open it. I can open other projects fine. I was working on this project earlier today and it was fine. I've restarted computer and the same thing is happening. Any suggestions about what I can try (fresh Lightworks install?), and prefs I can trash etc? I have a backed up version but it's from a few days ago so would prefer to try to save this one if I can.

[Edit: I attached the wrong error.log file, correct one now attached from a more recent crash (but same fault)]

best,
Scott
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 month ago by mugloch. Reason: wrong log attached

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221362

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
oh, perhaps worth noting that I did get this project open about 20mins before the constant crashing, it played back and was fine but crashed (initially) when I went into 'Log' menu to import a new video. I only got as far as clicking the 'Places' button when it crashed, and since then it crashes instantaneously when I try to open that project.

Since installing the 2020 update I've had constant issues with crashing when I go to browse my filesystem from within Lightworks, but it's never been this bad before.

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221363

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hello,

I suspect that the crash occurs after entering the project, i.e you see the project workspace first and then it crashes. Is that correct?

Which GUI are you using, Fixed or Flexible?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221366

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi Hugly,

Thanks, it's the Fixed GUI.

No, as soon as I click on that project to open it, the programme crashes, instantly, doesn't get as far as as showing the workspace, not even a black screen or transition, completely instant crash.

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221370

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Also, I tried a couple more times and checked the error.log. It's not catching the crash, happens too quickly. The error log file was exactly the same when I reproduced the error several times but leaving the project list page open for more than a minute each time after the first: to ensure I could differentiate in the log whether I was looking at logged loading info, or logged crash info.

I think the OS log might have more useful info but I can't translate that.

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221371

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Hi,

Since damaged project metadata caused by a crash are very uncommon on OSX, I suspect that this is a media related issue.

Nevertheless, a crash when trying to open a project, prior to showing the project workspace, could indicate damaged metadata. This might be recoverable with hands on the project metadata.

If you could share your project folders, I would have a look into it. The folders contain only metadata, no media. Here you'll find information on how to reveal and post project folders:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=14&id=156235&limit=15&limitstart=15&Itemid=81#156256

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221378

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thanks Hugly, project folders attached.

Am I right that Lightworks will open the project on the same screen it was closed at last time? If that's so, given the last time it opened properly it crashed on browsing my filesystem, could it be stuck in a loop where it keeps tying to reopen the project on the Log menu where it has to browse my filesystem so it crashes immediately? Is there a way to force it to open the project in a different menu for example?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221382

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
Thanks.

The project has indeed been damaged.

With Lightworks shut down, remove the existing P-folder, replace it with the attached, restart Lightworks and see what happens.

It could be that the initial damage happend while browsing the file system, but the subsequent crashes were caused by a damaged metadata file.

If you are able to reproduce crashes when browsing your file system, come back and tell.
Attachments:

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221384

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
thanks! I really appreciate the effort. But when I tried it won't let me log in (free version), it says 'system clock irregularity).

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221385

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
What does your system clock show, data and time?

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221386

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
It's 03/07/2020 14:08

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221387

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
That could be an entirely different problem.

Does removing the P-folder I've posted from the folder 'Projects' help.

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221388

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
yes... This time Lightworks didn't ask me to login, and the broken project wasn't on the projects list (I didn't replace the old P-folder, just deleted yours).

FWIW, I also managed to recreate the crash-on-browsing-filesystem, in a different project. I was in Log menu and just started to open different 'Places' and boom... Log attached.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 month ago by mugloch.

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221389

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
The log isn't attached. Please edit your post and try again.

I've attached a project with modified time stamps, does it work?
Attachments:

Re: specific project crashes on opening 1 month ago #221390

• mugloch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month ago
AMAZING! it works now (and I have made a backup already just in case), thank you! I owe you one.

Any suggestions for avoiding this in future or was it just bad luck?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds
Scroll To Top