• Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks to Protools and back

Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213442

• BobBlues
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Afternoon All,
Im struggling a little with using Protools and Lightworks 14.5 (pro).
I would like to export a Lightworks audio stream and import it into protools. Work the magic then reimport it to Lightworks so I can finish it off before exporting it as a project.

I have tried Export -> Interchange-> AAF then after working on the track in protools tried exporting it as an AAF but this creates mutipul files and the .aaf file is only a fraction of the size. So importing the wav files produces the same error see below.

I have also tried exporting from protools as OMF and have imported the two .wav files back in to LWKS.

I have also bounced the tracks as a wav file and imported this too.

The issue I am seeing is with a 4 min 50 clip the audio is now 8 frames larger and the sound is now out of sync.

What am I missing. Is there a run-through open how to go back and forth to Protools?

Im exporting as AAF I'm using Protools 23.976 and this is confirmed when importing to Protools

My project is 1080p 23.98

Do I need to set the project as 24 and import as that?

Apologies if there is additional information I need to post.

Re: Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213445

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hello,

I don't use Prootools, so I can't say from experience what's wrong. The deviation of 8 frames on 4 min 50 sec overall duration suggests that it might be related to the difference between 24 and 23.976 fps. The project settings in Lightworks when importing AAF/OMF shouldn't have any impact on the process, at least with V14.5.

Please try: Export the AAF from Protools in 24 fps, import it into Lightworks, and see what happens.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213446

• BobBlues
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Wilco, I'll report back when I have had a play

Re: Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213449

• BobBlues
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
well...
I had a play with the relevant settings
when I export as 24bit and protools 24 (even though the project is 23.97) I get the right length in Protools. Exporting as a 24bit AAF file the import worked as expected and everything is just perfect.

If I export as 16 bit or protools 23.97 the audio track is longer.

Oh well. On to the next problem.

Re: Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213450

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
I understand that your initial problem has been fixed by exporting an AAF in 24 fps from Protools, correct?

I do not understand what all that has to do with bit-depth of PCM audio, 14 24-bit vs 16-bit?
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213455

• BobBlues
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
I created a 5 min vid and audio exporting as aaf format and using the same settings in protools

exported as 23.97fps 16 bit audio. in protools it was over 5 mins
exported as 23.97fps 24 bit audio. in protools it was over 5 mins
exported as 24fps 16 bit audio. in protools it was over 5 mins
exported as 23.97fps 24 bit audio. in protools it was correct.

Once it was correct I Exported it as an AAF file and reimported it and dropped the sequence into the time line it was exactly correct.

Not sure what's happening.

Re: Lightworks to Protools and back 5 months ago #213456

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
The good thing is, you found settings which work.

I have no good ideas to explain your findings.

Bit depth shouldn't have any impact on playback speed/duration on both sides, ProTools (any DAW) and Lightworks.

23.976 fps runs by a factor of 1000/10001 slower than 24 fps. This explains appr. 8 frames deviation on 4 min 50 overall duration, but not 10 seconds.

Edit: V14.5 is close to end of life. Maybe you wish trying 2020 beta? It might behave differently with AAF/OMF import/export.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top