Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tools menu is absent

Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206791

• tabanowa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
I am a brand new user, just getting going. I have two questions: First, I have two internal drives - one 250GB boot drive where I store applications, and a 1TB drive where I store my data. Lightworks seems to insist on setting up all its data files on my boot drive and I cannot figure out how to change the default. In researching this, I found an answer in the forum and was watching a video on how to change media locations. The user in the video was using a "Tools" menu that showed on the left side in the Lightworks app. I don't see "Tools" anywhere in my version. So, my second question is, where do I find the Tools menu? If I can't access that, it doesn't seem that I can do anything in Lightworks...

I'm dazed and confused! I am a self-taught editor using mainly Adobe Premiere Pro. Got a new computer and was hoping to find a decent freeware video editor (something better than iMovie).

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206792

• tabanowa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
It may be that the media locations can only be changed with the "Pro" version, which I don't have...

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206793

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
you cannot change where the project files themselves are saved with the free version, but you can change the media location.

click on the tab that shows your project name in the top left corner of your Lightworks screen, then click the "Media" tab in the window that opens. You can add or remove media drives in that window.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206794

• tabanowa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Thank you. That's a bummer as I'm afraid those files are going to take up a lot of space on my boot drive. I can modify the location for project files with the pro version?

Another problem I'm having is that I don't seem to be able to resize my video. Watching the introductory tutorial, it shows I should be able to resize in the VFX tag by dragging the corner of my video. When I mouse over the corner the arrows for resizing don't show up.

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206795

• tabanowa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
VFX tab, I meant.

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206799

• tabanowa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
I went ahead and exported my video using the YouTube setting, 480p because I wanted my file size to be smaller than the original 4.22GB of my 1080p .mov file. The movie successfully exported with a file size of 1.33GB, but there are sections where the video doesn't quite line up with the audio. Is that normal? Do I just need to export at higher quality to keep that sync in tact?

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 4 weeks ago #206801

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 4 weeks ago
Good day,

Which of all of your question above is the one you'd like to be answered first?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Tools menu is absent 3 months, 3 weeks ago #206805

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
The user in the video was using a "Tools" menu that showed on the left side in the Lightworks app. I don't see "Tools" anywhere in my version. So, my second question is, where do I find the Tools menu? If I can't access that, it doesn't seem that I can do anything in Lightworks...

There's the option of two interfaces in Lightworks, please see here: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=26&id=142324&Itemid=81
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top