Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Change the working directory

Change the working directory 6 months, 1 week ago #193006

Hi, I just started using Lightworks.

I created a project and once I was done with it and exported the video, I moved the folder to another location and renamed it. To my surprise, I couldn't open the project afterwards, I couldn't find a file for opening the project and when trying to import the folder, Lightworks didn't do anything.

My specific questions:
1. Is it possible to change the working directory? I don't want to use the default folder (/Users/username/Lightworks/Projects).
2. How do I save the project on a different location?
3. How do I open the project once I have moved it to a different location?

Re: Change the working directory 6 months, 1 week ago #193007

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised that you're surprised, since you've changed everything and Lightworks doesn't know anything about you doing this, so it's hardly surprising.

You can export an archive of your project to another location. You can restore the archived project.

The project itself usually consists of logs, so it's not large unless you've copied or transcoded the media. The original media should ideally be on different drive to the system.

Why do you want to change the working directory from the current location?

Re: Change the working directory 6 months, 1 week ago #193020

Hi briandrys,

Thanks for your answer.

Now I wonder: how can I fix it?
I put back the folder to the working directory and with the same name, but it still doesn't show up when I open Lightworks. Do I have to edit a file or something?

Answering to your question about why would I change the working directory: I just don't like where it is and how it's organized. I wanted to have it in specific places according to my needs and keep the project and the media used in that project in the same folder (I have my own folder structure already). It's just the way I work.

Re: Change the working directory 6 months, 1 week ago #193021

Forget about it, it's solved!

I made a typo, that was it.

Thanks for your support.

Re: Change the working directory 6 months, 1 week ago #193024

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
miguelchambergo wrote:

1. Is it possible to change the working directory? I don't want to use the default folder (/Users/username/Lightworks/Projects).
A Lightworks project consists of many files in multiple folders (not just the project folder.) Some can only be moved with the Pro license.
Consider this folder as a part of the installed Lightworks program, which is completely managed by Lightworks itself.

miguelchambergo wrote:

2. How do I save the project on a different location?

briandrys wrote:
You can export an archive of your project to another location. You can restore the archived project.

Details from another thread:
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!

miguelchambergo wrote:

3. How do I open the project once I have moved it to a different location?

It doesn't work with the free license.
But with a backup you can restore a lost or damaged project, or duplicate it in Lightworks.

miguelchambergo wrote:
... (I have my own folder structure already). It's just the way I work.

My suggestion:
Do not store the media you want to import in the folder managed by Lightworks. Use your own existing folder structure and import with the "Create Link" option.
Create regular project backups and save them in this, your own folder structure.

If you want to use other import options, create proxies, and want Lightworks to store these new media files in your personal folder structure, then view this tutorial:
:pinch: Warning: Spoiler!
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by schrauber.

Re: Change the working directory 6 months, 1 week ago #193186

Thanks a lot, Schrauber, this is super useful. Just did a project archive and that will be the norm from now on.

Thanks for your support,

Miguel
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top