Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Beginner on Mac needing help with mouse button

Beginner on Mac needing help with mouse button 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185227

• bradwan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
I'm sorry, but as a new user none of this advice works, or even makes sense. I have downloaded 14 (free) within the last few days. I have started one project on what I now know as the 'Fixed' format, something that makes all the previous beginners videos worse than useless.

I finally found out how to change to 'Flexible' but when I opened the project after doing so I found a list (hopefully shown).

I can't do anything on this screen.

/Users/gpwatkins/Desktop/Lightworks flexible screen.jpeg
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Beginner on Mac needing help 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185230

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
briandrys wrote:
Instructions on using the flexible layout are on P249 to P273 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

Does that not help?
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Beginner on Mac needing help 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185231

• bradwan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
It 'helps' like most of the help for beginners on here. I do not want to sound rude or aggressive, but I wasted around half a dozen hour on tutorials, and reading advice on here that turned out to be useless thanks to changes in a system I had never used; even without me not knowing what RHS meant, or being able to right or left click because I have a Mac.

I know know to try and find P249. I only have to find downloads.

That is a help, and people on here obviously do want to help, but for beginners a lot simply don't get how baffling all of this can be.

I have seen scores of questions on here from folk like me. Download a free and 'simple' video editor. Watch videos that no longer apply; search for help; come to a page about what seems to be there problem; ask; but be given advice they cannot understand; or use; or access. Even the fact that no illustrations appear before registering isn't explained. Yes it's obvious this is the 'official' lightworks site now, but if you came from a google search it isn't.

Beginner on Mac needing help 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185233

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the Lightworks forums. OK, let's answer these one at a time.

1. There is a button at the top of this page labelled "Downloads".
  2. Most of the tutorials refer to the flexible layout, which is still current. There is also a quick start guide on the downloads page which relates to the "Fixed" layout.
  3. Google searches returning the wrong site isn't really a problem with Lightworks, surely.
  4. If you don't have a mouse with a right button - yes, they do work on a Mac - you can hold down the Ctrl key when you click. On a Mac that emulates a right button click.

Finally, getting angry with us won't help. Most of us here - myself included - are users just like you. Approaching us with anger can result in you not being answered, which would be a shame. And if you don't understand an answer, by all means ask for clarification. We were all beginners ourselves once, and most of us still remember what it was like.

And so that you don't get any unpleasant surprises, you should click on the "Product" button at the top off this page. Check out the differences between the free and professional versions. You'll find that under "License Comparison". There are some export limitations which you may need to know about.
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by jwrl.

Beginner on Mac needing help 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185237

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Personally, I mostly use the flexible layout, but for a beginner I initially recommend using the fixed layout.
Check out the Quick Start video several times and practice in a test project.

The fixed layout was introduced in April 2017 with Lightworks 14.

If you search the web for unofficial tutorials for the fixed layout, then search for "Lightworks 14".
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by schrauber.

Beginner on Mac needing help 11 months, 3 weeks ago #185239

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
bradwan wrote:
It 'helps' like most of the help for beginners on here. I do not want to sound rude or aggressive, but I wasted around half a dozen hour on tutorials, and reading advice on here that turned out to be useless thanks to changes in a system I had never used; even without me not knowing what RHS meant, or being able to right or left click because I have a Mac.

First, without right mouse button Lightworks is almost unusable. Ctrl+left click won't work but there are other options, please see: support.apple.com/kb/ph25085?locale=en_US

Second, this official video tutorial is worth watching:

My suggestion, repeat the workflow shown, step by step, with your own material to get familiar with the basics.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top