• Page:

TOPIC: problem with import of gopro footage

problem with import of gopro footage 6 months ago #196224

• rolcher
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 months ago
Hello,

I have a gopro footage that I cant import, resp. only audio can be played, no video. The resolution is 2704x2028, I know, it is not standard, so I figured out, that is a problem. Therefore I used Aiseesoft video converter to change the resolution to full HD. And that cant be imported, unfortunately, the quality is significantly worse.

So I tried to convert it in higher resolution, it looks great in vlc player, but again, I cant import it. Neither 4K nor UHD. And that is weird because I when record on gopro in UHD, that can be imported, I have done before. And it was fine.

Could anyone please tell, where the catch is.

Thank you a lot.

Rolcher
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 6 months ago #196227

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months ago
Hello,

It could be that the files detected as AVCHD which show black viewer are encoded in HEVC (h.265).
HEVC isn't a supported codec, yet.

You can check with Mediainfo. If it shows HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding), change your transcoder settings to something supported, or better, use most recent Handbrake with 'Production.Standard' preset. If it doesn't, please post a Mediainfo report of one of those files, and a second one with the original recording, if the file is transcoded.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 months ago by hugly.

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month, 2 weeks ago #204232

hate to say this, the only thing i found that could apparently do 360vr that was free was vsdn, ive put the software on the computer so that when ive mastered the basics of this i can take a further look but they have a video on you tube that shows how you do it on there system.
my query when i get round to it, will be to see if it can then be brought into lightworks as the format will change on export
Then an additional query will be trying to keep the original format for using the vr headset. all of which is beyond my levels at present but im getting there.

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month, 2 weeks ago #204241

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

What is VSDN?

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month, 2 weeks ago #204253

Video editing software package that is also free and has a few more out put options
Not used it yet mind, but I did watch the video they put up about editing 360vr

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month, 2 weeks ago #204281

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I wonder what this has to do with the topic, which is about importing footage from GoPro cameras?

Do you use a GoPro Fusion camera to capture 360 video?

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month, 2 weeks ago #204299

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I would say very little. It is being closely watched - especially since that user has apparently raised an old topic to promote another product.

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month ago #205107

because i was using a stealth vr 360 and couldnt find a way of rotating the footage as it was upside down, have tried many different types of editor now, having learnt as much as i can at this stage off lightworks, but found the answer in 3dve side of lightworks to my surprise.
then the next thing was the 35mm camera only recording in a format avchd thats not accepted by lightwork, so thats a conversion elsewhere which ironically isnt a video editing package, so that shouldnt upset the powers that be here.
the next thing is to find out a way of viewing 60fps video as using this desktop and lightworks it just freezes but will look on the forum to see if anyone has raised that and got a solution to that one.

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month ago #205109

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month ago
For increasing editing performance, check out the internal proxy workflow:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787

Please be aware, with Lightworks Free the export resolution is limited to 1280x720, which is 16:9 aspect ratio. 360 video usually needs 2:1 to be displayed correctly in 360 viewers and, a much higher resolution for good quality.

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month ago #205112

interesting. since starting with lightworks its been a steep learning curve but interesting as the dilemas crop up to see what others know (to save the endless searching)
have just put the proxy workflow to work and the computer is processing it as im typing so im hopeful on that one but i am wondering if its better to shoot at a lower frame rate in the first place.
as for the 360 when uni starts i have to use their software, whilst there perhaps that will do it where its needed, the other devices i.e camera and phone work well here. The choice will be to use lightworks for my stuff as much as i can, as i seem to understand it better.
(nb proxy still processing.)

Re: problem with import of gopro footage 1 month ago #205113

hi its worked, im impressed that proxy worked. at least i can now see the footage, im not worried if its fisheye etc as the software that came with the camera will do some strange stuff i.e. vr and heavens knows what else. i just wanted to see what i had shot.

Hugly many thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds
Scroll To Top