Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: can i sync video and audio via aux timecode in lw?

Re: can i sync video and audio via aux timecode in lw? 2 weeks, 3 days ago #220995

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
LW is a real-time NLE - it does not automatically pre-process and save media like some others.

Waveform matching routines have traditionally been problematic. Where the waveforms are close in detail they can be be more effective than the more likely scenario of significant differences between the on-camera recorder sound and external mic/recorder sound; the former being significantly contaminated with extraneous noise.

It seems that for use in LW clips would need to be first processed.

As an addendum to the LTC conversation.
1. It would seem highly improbably for LW to introduce sync by a LTC audio track.
2. Making a hacked LTC track to be shared by multiple cameras would be a tricky operation, best of luck with any attempts.
3. It is worth reading Pilip Rees's comments on LTC recording requirements - here is the link again - reading it may save a lot of time and effort.
www.philrees.co.uk/articles/timecode.htm

Just for fun - routed an LTC output to a device A track - recorded LTC into LW as .wav audio. The attached shows the content of a single LTC frame - between the mark and park in the image.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

jwrl wrote:
Early versions of Lightworks handled both LTC and VITC, but didn't deal with Aux timecode at all. Normally you would use timecode from the VTR serial controller, but it was possible to feed timecode from an audio track into the LTC input on Lightworks and use that instead.

Yes, that was true then and remains true today - Suitably equipped LW Pro still handles both LTC and VITC as well as my preference SDI embedded metadata. With current LW today playing a LW edit into a VTR via SDI the VTR LTC and VITC light indicate signal and the VTR T/C display follows the LW edit - as it always has done. Properly configured and with the correct Label settings LW will output both LTC and VITC to the recording device.

Of course it is most likely that none of that is held as a full stripe in any contemporary LW file - seem to recall it was that in long past versions - not sure.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: can i sync video and audio via aux timecode in lw? 2 weeks, 3 days ago #220996

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Interesting view on history.

LTC recorded on an audio track is an audible signal. It isn't much surprising that Lightworks shows a wave form on the timeline

Since a number of other NLE's support syncing by LTC recorded on an audio track, including the unnamed free one, from my point of view, it would have been prudent to implement syncing by LTC with the current release, instead of inventing experimental syncing by wave form, just for the multicam bin.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: can i sync video and audio via aux timecode in lw? 2 weeks, 3 days ago #220999

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Really, it's a sound - who would have thought!!!

Perhaps allow attention to fall upon the precision and complexity embedded in the waveform.

www.philrees.co.uk/articles/timecode.htm
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: can i sync video and audio via aux timecode in lw? 2 weeks, 3 days ago #221000

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Another historical document, but surely a good read. Thanks for sharing.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: can i sync video and audio via aux timecode in lw? 2 weeks, 3 days ago #221001

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 3 days ago
LTC has not changed for quite some time - Mr Rees was an expert in the field.
BETA System
HP Z800 Workstation
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top