Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 4K Camera v HD

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176424

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Yes, 12bit RAW at that price is ground breaking. It will shoot to SD, C-Fast or via the USB-C interface to cheap SSDs. If only it were S35... and if they had made it the "right shape to shoot video", rather than a 5D look-a-like, I'd have ordered five!
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176429

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Although, you don't need S35 to create cinematic images. The downside to the smaller sensor is sensitivity.

The GH5S had been accepted for shooting HD by the EBU. If you need a camera now, that's the one to go for in roughly this price range, although with accessories and lenses the final cost will go up (which may be a factor). Note that you will need to take the camera off the tripod if you need to change the internal battery, since it's underneath the camera.

The Blackmagic camera is due out in the autumn. In the past, early purchasers of their cameras have found themselves acting as beta testers, which may or may not be the case with this one. However, I suspect the 4k will get used as B cameras or crash cameras on larger productions.

It may come down to the workflow you want, not every production wants to use Raw because of the fast turnaround needed or if the budgets are so low you don't want to invest much time in colour correction.

The DSLR form factor on both these doesn't make them suitable for serous handheld work as they stand and any time I've seen these DSLR cameras being used for that type of shooting, they are usually mounted in a gimbal rig. Although, there are also plenty of rod type rigs to create a modular operation to allow the fitting of viewfinders, external recorders, batteries etc etc.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176432

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
And..

If you left 20 kg of heavy gear at home accidentally, you might have a mobile phone in your pocket, it isn't a red camera, but

Heavy image processing is going on on those phones, but if it looks good, why not.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176433

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
There are a number of camera options out there. Personally, I prefer the Alexa to the RED, but the Sony Venice seems to be the one at the moment.

Look at what you're trying to shoot and the requirements for delivery to the broadcaster, distributor or the market you're working in.

Articles on both cameras mentioned earlier.

www.redsharknews.com/production/item/5394-the-4k-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-quite-probably-changes-everything

www.redsharknews.com/production/item/5447-now-you-can-officially-use-your-gh5s-as-a-primary-camera-for-broadcast
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176454

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
briandrys wrote:
I prefer the Alexa to the RED, but the Sony Venice seems to be the one at the moment.

Potato Jet has a comparison between iPhone and Alexa as well - Why didn't this really surprise me?

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176455

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
It's comparing apples and oranges, you can do certain things with a phone, but they have limitations.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176456

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
That's what it shows.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 6 months, 1 week ago #176466

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 months, 1 week ago
Coming closer, big apple vs small apple, maybe? - Panasonic GH5S vs Alexa Mini:

Edit: With the GH5s Panasonic added VLog L, DCI-4K (4096 × 2160p), 4K-4:2:0 60 fps (HD-4:2:0 240 fps!), dropped image stabilisation, and reduced pixels from 20 MP (GH5) to 10 MP with practically same sensor size. The latter might explain remarkably reduced high-ISO-noise (wasn't this bad before). In total, this seems to be a further step to a (the?) dedicated video camera with MFT sensor in DSLR form factor.
Last Edit: 6 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180169

• ryuny
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
It must be said: in a few years at most, the 4K format will have supplanted the HD format. And by projecting on the long term, we can even say that the same 4K will then be replaced by the 8K.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180174

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for bringing this truly interesting discussion on top again, but TUTU, Kodi, Luckypatcher? That's no smart software at all, totally useless from my point of view, clicking the links above is just a waste of time.

.. and really off topic, my friend.

Re: 4K Camera v HD 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180190

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
In the past I would have PM'd you about this, ryuny, but unfortunately now I can't. You must remove those links from your signature or you will be blocked and your posts deleted.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top