Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394)

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210042

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Is there an older version of LWKS that supported import from Firewire that could be installed to enable import from miniDV tapes?

How far back would I have to go for a PC? How far back for a Mac?
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210046

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
According to the user guides, the V10 public beta, V11 and V11.5 could import using firewire.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210047

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
And answering your second question, I don't believe that there was ever a version for the Mac that supported firewire.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210048

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Thank you. I will search for an older exe download.

If I can’t find an old exe file for the older versions, are they currently available from LWKS?
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210049

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
I don't know - they could be. If you have no luck I'm pretty sure that I have some squirrelled away somewhere. I'll see what I can find.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210051

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Let me look first. I should have something.

Moderated - I've deleted a duplicate of this message. briandrys
Last Edit: 3 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210055

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
I'm not sure if you'll have trouble registering it or not. I can't recall the point at which the current licensing system was introduced.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210056

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 3 months ago
A fire-wire card for one's computer would also be required - they mightn't be an easy find. Have to face it - Firewire is very much a legacy format.

We used ScenalyzerLive 4.0 software - which read the live Firewire DV stream and wrote an .avi file from that. That software is no longer available.

Back than we did quite a lot of DV work - it was the favourite child of docco makers - we also used it on some TVCs. A major problem was the fragile nature of particularly the miniDV tapes - they simply did not survive production level shuttle/search/play - so there was never a 100% guarantee that if on-line editing from DV tapes - every shot used in the edit would be accessible from tape.

On anything serious - like real-people-testimonials in TVC production - shooting was on DV tapes - then they were all dubbed to DigiBeta as a post production source format.

Back then we had a Sony DSR2000 with SDI I/O - some of the results looked pretty good - if the camera person knew their craft - that deck is long dead. We still have a DSR45P with component I/O - that model VTR is not too shabby either - ours has about 8 hours on the heads and is pretty unlikely to ever top that.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 3 months ago #210075

If you use a Windows PC, AVS4YOU utilities can capture from firewire and record to MPEG2 for editing.

onlinehelp.avs4you.com/avs-video-recorder/index.aspx

You can buy the whole suite of utilities right now for just $59 lifetime license including all future upgrades.
Well worth the investment. Lots of useful problem solvers.

www.avs4you.com/register.aspx

I use it to transfer footage from my old Canon GL2 tapes on occasion. Mostly use it now for transcoding audio formats. It does a great job of converting 16 bit audio formats to 24 bit 48kHz PCM for editing.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 3 months ago by David Rasberry.
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top