Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394)

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158458

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
jwrl wrote:
but when I get a chance I'll break out my old DV deck and some media (if I can find where it's packed!!!) and check.

Last year I offered to lend my DV deck to a friend. He told me he already had it.
post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158500

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Must be what happened to mine, too. I vaguely recall lending it to a family friend to make DVDs of some home movies. I don't think I ever got it back.

Palladini921 wrote:
It seems Lightworks cannot work with .dv files. So I installed Handbrake and converted my DV files to mp4 files.
jwrl wrote:
From memory it should be identified as type .DV. If you rename it to .MPG or .MP2 you may have more luck. It may also work better for you if you link to it rather than transcode or copy.

If you can avoid unnecessary conversions it's a good idea. Renaming it to to .MPG should work. Try it with a copy of one file and see how you go.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158518

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Palladini921 wrote:
I cannot drag and drop .dv files onto the field where you capture Videos.

I have used DVgrab to capture the video and then import them into lighworks. I haven't done this in 3 or 4 years, I think the output from dvgrab should be MT2 or something like that not .dv
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158527

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
There have been several issues reported by others over the time related to .dv files.

Although Digital Video should be standardized (somehow) there are different variants and it’s mainly a tape based format. There seems to be capturing software which produces formats not properly readable by Lightworks.

If renaming to MPG shouldn’t fix your problem, I’d strongly recommend converting DV with third party software (e.g. FFmpeg) to something properly supported. For further advice a Mediainfo report would be needed. Please see: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

Or, maybe better: A short piece of a captured video downloadable at a file hoster of your choice.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158529

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I've a number of DV projects, but they have .avi or .MXF extensions.

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158563

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
DV comes to us in various containers (standardized or not). If the stream itself is the cause of the problem renaming won't help, remuxing may help sometimes, re-encoding will help most likely (if the transcoder used can demux and decode the stream properly, which isn't guaranteed).
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158573

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Palladini921 wrote:
then open Lightworks and try to drag and drop the files and it does not accept them.

I have some file from a Panasonic dating back to 2008. I use dvgrab to transfer them from the camera to the hard drive. You can use any of the following
dvgrab -a -f avi -opendml -timestamp Capture_Tape_1_ 
dvgrab -a -f mov -opendml -timestamp Capture_Tape_1_ 
dvgrab -a -f dv2 -opendml -timestamp Capture_Tape_1_

My case they were grabed as MOV; you have the choice of MOV, AVI or dv2. I am not sure if dv2 is importable.
Drag and drop will not work; but import does. and there is no problem.

So download dvgrab and try it.

My bad, I guess this Program is of no use to me, as I went back to the download page and downloaded a PDF and it says under the Windows are, that they removed firewire, so with no drag and drop or capture from firewire, this program is useless to me. I am going to uninstall it and be done with ya all
Lenovo D30 Workstation,128GB ram, Nvidia L4000, 2xDell U2312HM, Ubuntu Studio 16.04 LTS LWKS 14.0, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 Now working

Re: Importing from Firewire (IEEE1394) 4 months, 1 week ago #158577

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
You should be able to re-wrap DV video to dvcpro and transcode the audio into PCM, into a mov container using ffmpeg. No video transcoding necessary. Lightworks can easily import this format.
Work Comp: Retired!

Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!

Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.70 seconds
Scroll To Top