Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras

Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10443

• StefanT
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
I know there have been a lot of questions about trans-coding and opening MTS and M2TS file natively in LightWorks, but I could not find a clear answer on the following.

What LightWorks supported internal format is best to use without loosing image quality (1080i or 1080p @ 25-50 fps)? So if I have to trans-code my footage; what should I trans-code too to have maximum performance from Lightworks and no further quality loss??

(By the way in the end the edited footage should end up on blue-ray format).

regards,

Stefan.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10448

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Mpeg I frame at 100mbps would be good, you might search for Cineform and see if that codec works in Lightworks and then transcode to one of the Cineform codecs. There was talk about it but I don't remember what the final word was.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10451

• phaas
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Take a look at the posting I've been writing about HDSLR workflow, many of the same issues exist with AVCHD. It might be able to help with transcode and media management.

My Best,
@pHaas

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10453

• StefanT
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
I saw and read your post with great interest before and that was what actually triggered my question.

I was looking at the whole AVCHD import thing as a "noob, I just edit for fun" consumer user and was actually bummed out (like many others) there was no native AVCHD support. After reading your post however I started thinking maybe doing a "pre-production step" trans-code to a Lightworks native format would not be so bad and would actually help with editing performance.

Now my consumer (Panasonic SD90) grade camera, can actually hardware trans-code to plain vanilla MPG2 (720x576 @25fps), but that would be a loss.

So questions remain:

1. What is the best option to trans-code to?
2. If I trans-code to MPEG I-Frame @100mbps how to do it (fast).
3. Is there a way to edit in a preview quality (e.g. my camera trans-coded mpeg) and then let LightWorks render the output with the original AVCHD footage?

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10454

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Lightworks does support AVCHD but only in mov and mp4 containers (not MTS). Playback is dependent on CPU.

MPEG I-frame HD is (as its name implies) a high definition codec. And it is intra-frame compression which is easier to handle. In my experience there is little quality loss. I don't know of any way of speeding up transcoding.

Lightworks improved performance with long GOP inter-frame compression is on the to do list.
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10675

• jerberic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Ok, so I'm trying to work with AVCHD footage that's already in a .MOV format, 1080p 23.97fps, all that.

Like everyone's been saying, it doesn't play at all in Lightworks, even when I transcode it on import. I tried the lightworks.wikidot.com/avchd-workflow instructions but can't get the MediaCoder to work when I click "copy video"...it seems to transcode just fine, but I'd prefer to "repackage" the footage if possible and avoid the ridiculously long time it takes to transcode.

Any suggestions?

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10682

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
I am surprised that the footage doesn't play when transcoded on import to MPEG I-frame HD. What is your hardware configuration?

Have you tried importing the MediaCoder presets that are mentioned on the unofficial wiki?
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by shaunthesheep.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10683

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
jerberic wrote:
Ok, so I'm trying to work with AVCHD footage that's already in a .MOV format, 1080p 23.97fps... Any suggestions?
Could you upload the shortest of your MOV files (original one, not processed in any way) e.g. here and post a link?
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10799

• jerberic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Drkuli, Shaunthesheep, thanks so much

Here's the link to a very short segment of the video I'm trying to work with:
www.sendspace.com/file/ct02nw

As far as hardware, I'm using an ancient laptop, T2300 1.66GHz 2.00GB of RAM, which I realize may be a huge part of the playback problem, but it's what I've got right now. I suppose I could up the RAM again, but not sure that would make a difference as you mentioned playback is dependent on CPU?

The link to the preset for 32 bit systems is actually for XMediaRecode, not for MediaCoder. But I very carefully followed the instructions for "repackaging" footage, and when that didn't output a file, played around with the settings. The program transcoded just fine, but I'd prefer not to have to transcode the entirety of my footage, if possible.

The only import setting that I could get to work was to RGB32. When I try the MPEG I-frame HD with a bit rate of 50, I get an import error.

Hope this is a good description of what I've tried so far.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10800

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Hi, jerberic.
I downloaded your sample and Lightworks imported it directly without any transcoding, with "Create link" option. Also tried transcode on import to MPEG I-frame HD and it worked fine.

Does your Quicktime version fit Lightworks requirements? (7.6.6 or later)
Matrox codecs were installed before or after installing Lightworks?
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10803

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
jerberic wrote:
As far as hardware, I'm using an ancient laptop, T2300 1.66GHz 2.00GB of RAM, which I realize may be a huge part of the playback problem, but it's what I've got right now. I suppose I could up the RAM again, but not sure that would make a difference as you mentioned playback is dependent on CPU?
Hardware is probably the major reason of your troubles. T2300 works on FSB 166 MHz, when most of its generation's desktop CPUs work on FSB 266 MHz, so they have 60% more data throughput with the same 1.66 GHz - it's a huge difference. We don't know anything about your graphic subsystem, but I guess it's inefficient also. The crucial point on any laptop is power management. If it's not properly configured to the highest performance, you get only a fraction of your hardware's powers. RAM upgrade is a wasted money, it won't change anything.

So I'm afraid, you can't edit any AVCHD on such machine, directly or not. I guess SD DV is all you can.
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10805

• jerberic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Ah, well, good to know. Guess I'll be saving up for the new laptop BEFORE the new camera. In the meantime, I'll have to bite the bullet and start transcoding my footage. Any suggestions/experience with which program/format works best?

Thanks so much everyone! Much appreciated

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10807

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
jerberic wrote:
Any suggestions/experience with which program/format works best?
As frandesouza proved, you can transcode your footage in LW at import stage.

jerberic wrote:
Like everyone's been saying, it doesn't play at all in Lightworks, even when I transcode it on import.
It's not true. If your laptop cannot play it directly as MOV or indirectly, transcoded into Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame HD at 50 Mb/s - the reason may be your hard disk and/or your graphic card. Both are tough to upgrade. Another possible reason is OS configuration and power management.
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by drkuli. Reason: clarify

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10827

• StefanT
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
Well after the small hijack of my post, by Jerberic, I unfortunately have gotten nowhere with trans-coding..

I used the MP4 repackage as described on the unofficial wikki and I have tried trans-coding to MPEG I frame as well, without much luck. So is there anybody who has experience with Panasonic (SD 90 or 60 maybe?) AVCHD output and either repackageing it to MP4 or trans-coding it to MPEG I Frame, so it can be edited with Lightworks?

Re: Best workflow for AVCHD (MTS, M2TS) based cameras 6 years, 11 months ago #10828

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 11 months ago
You are not abandoned here, the answer is the same, from me at least: could you upload the shortest of your original files, as copied from the memory card, not processed in any way, here? This way any instructions will be double checked in real world and proven to work

EDIT

Don't forget to post a link to sample file.
Last Edit: 6 years, 11 months ago by drkuli.
Time to create page: 0.57 seconds
Scroll To Top