Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Audio out of Sync after Import

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105188

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Hi jwrl,

I have a Sony HDR PJ810e video camera and I always transfer my video and audio data directly to my external hard drive without compressing or transcoding. So, basically I am loading onto the hard drive uncompressed files, right?

The "formats" you reference in this topic -- DNxHD ProRes, DVCpro HD an MPEG422@ML -- are they actually Software programs as well as formats? I think I am trying to differenciate between the two terms, or maybe they can at times be used synonymously?

In another post donkpow mentions Eyeframe, ffmpeg and Audacity:

"EyeFrame Converter is freeware created by a Lightworks user that performs those type of tasks most of the time. I use ffmpeg, if you are familiar. Audacity is a free tool for working on your audio. It is mature and very useful."

Also I found in the same post that donkpow referenced the three programs above:

Blender, Bandicam, WMM, Natron, Fusion

For a layperson learning to edit simple videos, would you recommend ALL data clips be transcoded REGARDLESS if I experience sync problems only on occasion? (Please see the other topic I was asking help, "Audio & Video Out Of Sync").

And if so, how does MPEG422@ML rate...as you mention it will also transcode the data as it imports it into LW? How do I evaluate and choose amongst the different software you, donkpow and others reference, or do they all do basically the same thing? As long as the software does the job well, the less "techie" the program the better for me. (As donkpow suggests below (#99403) sifting through all the formats and bitrates can be tricky).

Thanks for your help.
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
Intel Core i7 4510U 2 GHz 2.6 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by India2014.

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105195

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Almost all HD video recording formats involve compression of some kind or other, even broadcast cameras use compression.

Uncompressed HD is available, but you have extremely large files and large amounts of of data to move around.

DNxHD ProRes, DVCpro HD MPEG422@M are easily edited codecs, some of which were originally intended purely for post production, they are not programs. Highly compressed codecs are more demanding for editing purposes, so transcoding these make sense and anything with a variable frame rate should be converted into a suitable format.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by briandrys.

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105197

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Hi briandrys,

Ah, okay. My Sony camera is new so chances are it already compresses the files, eh?

In a clip properties window I found this:

AVCHD Video (.MTS)

In my Windows hard drive directory each video clip has three additional files:

.MTS.aix2
.MTS.vix
.MTS.vix2

Do you think these files are normal or causing a problem?

Donkpow seems to recommend EyeFrame in a few posts and jwrl recommends MPEG422@ML because it can also transcode as files are imported into LW. But you advise MPEG422@ML is only a codec not a software program.

Can you look at my other posts at topic:

"Audio & Video out of sync", started by nunonog, 2 yrs 9 months ago.

Maybe you can help?

Thanks
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105202

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Transcoding solves problems. Transcode from one codec and format to another codec and format. One suitable for editing. Bottom line: Nothing works well with AVCHD/MTS.

I have worked with a bunch of Sony AVCHD/m2ts files from a consumer camera and transcoded them to prores. EFC can do that. No problem. You might see a non-fatal error during transcode. That can be ignored or fixed, whichever you choose.

Lightworks transcode is good. I prefer to use ffmpeg so I can transcode to prores, and of late, DNxHD.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105617

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Will LW transcode AVCHD/MTS files? If so, do I select Transcode upon import?
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105618

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
How will LW advise if clips have a variable frame rate?
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105620

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
From donkpow:

"Nothing works well with AVCHD/MTS"

Sony is a major player, no? How is it no transcoder (software?) works well with Sony's AVCHD/MTS files???

I'm curious, in layman terms, what separates effective transcoders from ineffective ones? Anyone?

Anyone willing to walk me through the process of transcoding, apparently the foundation to the editing process?

Programmer talk does not help.

I would be grateful if anyone would take the time to teach/share the basics of properly importing files from an educated and PRACTICAL perspective to a simple user who just wants simple, practical results.

Thanks.
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105621

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
P.S., how do I quote other forum text without having to write it out?
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105623

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
India2014 wrote:
Will LW transcode AVCHD/MTS files? If so, do I select Transcode upon import?
Yes.

How will LW advise if clips have a variable frame rate?
It won't. You will see performance problems as you edit. Things like desync, jumping, etc.

From donkpow:

"Nothing works well with AVCHD/MTS"

Sony is a major player, no? How is it no transcoder (software?) works well with Sony's AVCHD/MTS files???
Perhaps an overstatement on my part. AVCHD is a long GOP format, editing requires each frame to be a complete image. Long GOP formats reference other frames, forward and backward in time to draw each frame for playback. You can edit AVCHD natively but it requires a computer of sufficient stature to extract each frame and rewrite the GOP in real time during editing. Other video editors (consumer oriented) create a proxy for editing. Transcoders are meant to input AVCHD/mts files for transcoding. It will likely not be in real time.

Transcoding, in our situation, converts video in a format that is not suitable for editing to one that is suitable for editing. Specifically, a format where every video frame is a complete image.

I don't know. Copy and paste?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105627

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
--- and if you use 'Reply' rather than 'Quick Reply' you will be offered a menu of formatting options to use with your cut and paste.

Please see the attached

EDIT: Non technically - the jobs at hand when shooting with a camera or when editing that material are intrinsically different.

When recording on a camera a a single file is being written sequentially from start of record to end of record - acquisition codecs are optimised to perform that task.

When editing in an NLE like LW - one needs instantaneous random access in both forward and reverse at every point in the file being edited; generally an NLE will need to access more than single file at a time - editing codecs are optimised for that task.

Sure, one can edit with acquisition codecs but it requires significantly greater computer power than using editing codecs.

Transcoding, converting from an acquisition to an editing codec is a standard part of preparing for post-production.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by RWAV.

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105666

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Thanks donkpow and RWAV.

I tried transcoding the clip with LW but no positive results.

Is there a way to share the clip with someone in LW who can watch it, test for Problems and then advise how to correct it step-by-step?

That would be amazing.

Thanks.
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105669

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
If the clip is not too long, you can put it on a file sharing site. Anybody could get it and try it. Just give the link.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105737

• India2014
  • Gold Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
208mb, thereabouts. Can anyone recommend a free upload sight that does not require the user who views the clip (not necessarily the one who uploads) to have to make an account, sign in, etc.?

I guess LW users can only share work and edits through the pro version?

thanks
Windows 8.1
HP Envy
NVIDIA Geforce GTX

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105738

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
Google drive, MS One drive. You can export an archive from Lightworks and share that. The trouble with that is the volume of information. You need to include your media.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio out of Sync after Import 2 years, 11 months ago #105741

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 11 months ago
I haven't noticed an analysis of your video posted, so it might worth following the directions in this sticky to see if anything stands out as a possible issue.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top