Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Only play video between mark in/out points?

Only play video between mark in/out points? 5 years, 3 months ago #89849

• caffeine31
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Hi everybody,

I just started using Lightworks and it's looking great so far. I'm wondering it's possible to only play the selected parts of a video between the mark in and out points? What I would like Lightworks to do is stop when it hits the mark out point--currently, it just keeps playing.

I'm coming to this from Camtasia, where I could select a duration and only play the selected portion of video. I used this to fine-tune a selection so I could cut it out.

Is it possible to do this with Lightworks? Please let me know, thanks!

Re: Only play video between mark in/out points? 5 years, 3 months ago #89854

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 3 months ago
Welcome to the forum,

I assume you're doing this before you put it into the timeline. Lightworks tends to expect you to select a section of clip by mark and parking and then use trimming for fine tuning the clip inside the timeline. It doesn't need to be that precise during the selection process, the trimming allows you to make adjustments once a clip is positioned within a sequence.

With mark and park, you don't need to mark an out point, Lightworks assumes where you stop the play head is the out point, saving you an operation.

Re: Only play video between mark in/out points? 1 month, 1 week ago #219462

• robertocsa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
I also want to know it. It seems that the app lacks a more friendly way to do it.

Re: Only play video between mark in/out points? 1 month, 1 week ago #219466

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

Lightworks doesn't stop at the out point.

With the mark and park method, where ever the playhead is parked after you've marked the in point becomes the out point. It doesn't do a loop between these points. This is to reduce the steps, so that you can edit faster by not needing to set the out point.

However, you can put an out point if you wish, but Lightworks doesn't loop between these.

You can adjust the the in and out points in the sequence timeline using trim, so there's no need to set in and out precisely, you can still make changes once the clip in the sequence.
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: Only play video between mark in/out points? 1 month, 1 week ago #219468

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 1 week ago
Hello all,

As mentioned by briandrys, there is no feature for looping playback between marks. Feature requests exist on this for quite a while, placed by users apparently having some experience with other software, mainly DAW's.

Since I'm used to the existing Lightworks controls, I don't miss looping playback for precise editing at all.

I'd suggest trying a very basic, but efficient method for playback control: While holding the mouse with the right-hand, with the left use the keys 'J', 'K', 'L' for regular and faster playback back/forth, and ',' <comma> '.' <dot> for frame steps left/right. After a while of practicing, you may see the beauty.

To repeat playback starting at the same position, move the playhead with the mouse to the start frame, don't move the mouse. Press K (or the spacebar) to start playback, click to return to the start point, and so on.

Additionally, there's a command 'Preview'. It has the major advantage that it works even on unjoined cuts when trimming. It jumps 3 seconds to the left (preroll) and starts playback. However, it's assigned by default to Alt+Space, which interferes with shortcuts reserved for the OS, at least on my systems. To avoid potential problems, reassign the command to another shortcut, e.g. Ctrl+Space. The preroll time is adjustable in config.dat, I've set it to 2 seconds, which is fine for an average cut duration of 4 seconds and above. People who work with very fast cuts, might set it to 1 second.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 1 week ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top