Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Unofficial Wiki

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15957

• khaver
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
Here's my idea for an ideal controller. You have the Lightworks console like it is but the jog wheel has a trackball in the middle of it. The levers on the outside, the knob and a ring on the top for jogging, and then the trackball in the middle and a thumb and finger button each side of the jog wheel for clicking.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Work Comp: Retired!
Home Comp: Newer! Bigger! Faster!
Send me a tip: paypal.me/4khaver
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by khaver.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15960

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
Basing the design off the size of my mk1 console, the trackball in the center would need to be very small, might not even be able to get a 25mm ball in the room that is available. Might work better if the jog was made with a touch sensor.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15981

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
Interesting, but I would have thought that having a trackball there would mean having to hold your hand uncomfortably to avoid the risk of bumping the trackball.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15982

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
My first five years as a video editor I worked on the old fashioned way, with VCRs and video mixers, and a little over ten years ago, I started with non-linear editing. So I consider myself a hybrid. Since I can not buy a console (unless I win the lottery), Lightworks's keyboard is perfect for me, but I wish it included a jog wheel, to feel again the sensation of being actually editing a real tape. Maybe in future releases they can do that...Consider this a feature request for the LW Keyboard!
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15986

• funkytwig
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
The Contor range of jog/shuttles are user programmable so maybe will be the answer. See retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/5.

Ben

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15991

• sotitomo
khaver wrote:
Here's my idea for an ideal controller.

I don't think it would really work. As JWRL said, it would be hard to use it without bumping the trackball by accident.
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by .

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15992

• sotitomo
Greg_E wrote:
Basing the design off the size of my mk1 console, the trackball in the center would need to be very small, might not even be able to get a 25mm ball in the room that is available. Might work better if the jog was made with a touch sensor.

So the mk1 must be much smaller than the mk2. The mk2 could easily accommodate a 50mm trackball with space to spare.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #15993

• sotitomo
sotitomo wrote:
Thanks. I tried it and I must say it almost works. It's really not bad and does what I want which is keep my hands on the console.
But one problem is that the mark in and out diamonds are not on each clip. It seems as I move on to other clips so do the marks and when I come back to the clip I must mark it again. Also, I don't have a visual representenation of where I'm going till I hit the clip. So it's hard to go straight to a clip because I don't see the names or separated tiles, which if you have a lot of clips would actually slow you down instead of speeding it up.
Am I overlooking something in this process?

I was looking for a way to assign the shift-click command which opens a clip in a new Viewer to a button on my hardware console. But this command is not listed under the keyboard customize tool. Unless it has another name? Do you know a way to assign this to a key?

Although that would give one more option to go from bin to timeline but not a way back to the bin, which is the main problem since you have other ways of going to the timeline. Like marking the clip in the bin or hitting F12 to mark the clip without opening it on a Source Viewer, and once you hit insert the program takes you to the timeline anyway. The way back is the main problem.

But it would still be nice to know if you can assign the shift+left click that opens the clip in a viewer to a console user key.

By the way, do you have a hardware console? What functions do you have assigned to the 8 user keys?

P.S. I know people are probably going "Just use the dreaded mouse already!" (if there's anybody else reading this besides you ) and I know this is naturally an option. I'm just trying to find ways to streamline my workflow as much as possible and studying all the options with this great program which is Lightworks.

Just wanted to quote myself to make sure SMPse sees my reply to him. I'm still looking forward to his answer and didn't want it to be buried down now that the thread has been "hijacked"

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #16008

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
No, you're not overlooking anything. An Edit can only have one mark+park, so you will have to set it again for each clip. There's always Cue marks...

There's no (shift+click) command key for turning or sending a tile to a viewer.

Alternative,
You don't have to open the clip in a viewer, you can edit directly using the tile in the bin. Move between the tiles with the 'Bin: next/previous tile' command. You can keep the bin size fairly small since the active source tile will scroll into view, but big enough to see the surrounding clips. This way you keep your mark+park for each clip.
While the tile's size isn't always ideal for this, you can change its size,

"The following lines can be added to your config.dat (in the same folder as Lightworks.exe) to specify/alter tile sizes

small_tile_height 70
large_tile_height 90"

Or "Just use the dreaded mouse already!"

No, I don't have a console.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #16100

• sotitomo
SMPse wrote:

Alternative,
You don't have to open the clip in a viewer, you can edit directly using the tile in the bin. Move between the tiles with the 'Bin: next/previous tile' command. You can keep the bin size fairly small since the active source tile will scroll into view, but big enough to see the surrounding clips. This way you keep your mark+park for each clip.
While the tile's size isn't always ideal for this, you can change its size,

Yep. This is good. The problem is that each time I insert a shot the program switches to the timeline, and to go back to the bin I must use the mouse since there's no way to go back to the bin without a mouse, or?
If I must use the mouse already, the bin next command is useless. I just click the clip I want already.
The whole advantage of making all your clips into an edit is that I can then toggle between all my clips and the timeline with the switch key. But then of course I no longer have permanent marks, clip names or separated thumbnails.
Last Edit: 6 years, 9 months ago by .

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 9 months ago #16102

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 9 months ago
Use the Switch key to move back to the bin. The Switch command toggles between source and edit, and since the clip you inserted from in the bin is your source, using Switch will get you back to the bin.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 2 months ago #22854

• j0naslarss0n
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 years, 2 months ago
funkytwig wrote:
I took the plunge and set-up a wiki for us to share tips/tricks and help the documentation develop.. This is probably temporary until EditShare manage to do something. Its open/anyone can join/change. I will leave it this way unless it gets out of control and do some Wiki Gardening and see how it goes.

lightworks.wikidot.com/

Ben

Cool, not seen this until now

I like the fact that most FOSS projects have one or several IRC channels - would there be any interest in that for Lightworks users? Maybe not widely used among Win/Mac users(?) but it's a very good complement to a traditional forum.

b.r

Jonas

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 1 month ago #25197

• erikvandebelt
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
The problem with lightworks.wikidot.com/ page is that the links are not working anymore.
The Beta site is no longer there.
Can anybody fix it?
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 990 @ 3.47GHz,
Mem. 24.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 4000,
WIN. 7 64, Lightwork Pro Licence, LW Keyboard, Console, Mackie. MATROX MXO2 LE.

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 6 years, 1 month ago #25205

• funkytwig
  • Senior Boarder
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
Anyone can, you just need to setup a account. The Wiki is kind of dormant and I am currently not using Lightworks (waiting for mac version) but anyone who wants to update it feel free.

ben

Re: New Unofficial Wiki 5 years, 7 months ago #35220

• ChrisPlayll15
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
Although I am new to Lightworks I do have some experience editing wikis and contributing to forums for other software. While looking for information about Lightworks I noticed that the unoffical wiki had several dead links so I have decided to correct them and update the home page.

The problem with a forum is that it can be difficult to search for topic and the reply to a query may become out of date if a new version of the software is released. A wiki enables users to list hints and tips better. It is clear that the wiki has not been updated for a long time. Since the wiki was started a Hints and Tips Guide has been created from information on the forum and it may be that user prefer this method of sharing information. However, it may be useful to keep the wiki for users to add hints and tips that could move to the official Hints and Tips guide at a later date. Any comments welcome.
Time to create page: 0.49 seconds
Scroll To Top