Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks

video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85777

• BizarKid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Hi,

I tried to use lightworks all day, and i couldn't...

Some videos worked fine, other just lagged and/or made the software crash...

It's a mystery for me, i don't have a super computer (laptop, hp shitty one) but it's enough to run games and videos in good definition or sound softwares, so i don't really think it's a problem of specs.

some AVI videos passed, others didn't. But when i tried for what i really wanted to use lightworks, i.e. make a montage of a video that we did shoot some days ago in 1080p here's what happen:

the import is fine, good, efficient, but as soon as i play the video, the video freezes, the sound keeps playing. I got like 1 second of video running, then everything freezes. I tried to convert the files (they're MOV) into AVI, using lightworks converter (about 10 hours for 20min, so i stopped) and eyeframe convertor (into mpeg1....) as said on other pages of the forum. Nothing changes.

It's a pity cause the software looks amazing and all, and i wouldn't like to do that with movie maker which sucks a bit.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85778

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
We can't see your computer from here.

Recommended system specs can be found here. If you're laptop is far below these specs, then you may be out of luck.

It would also be nice to know what the difference is between videos that do and don't import. Use MediaInfo to analyze them & you can post the reports.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85779

• BizarKid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
thanks for your answer,

my specs:

OS: Windows 7 Premium family edition 64bits(Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601)

laptop: HP Pavilion notebook g6 PC
processor: AMD E-350 Processor 2CPUs 1.6 GHz
BIOS: InsydeH2O CCB.03.61.30F.53

Graphic: AMD Radeon HD 6310

If you need something else, just say. As I said, i guess it wouldn't be the problem, while a lot of big programs run just fine.

Regarding which file works, and which one doesn't, total mystery. all the ones i tried were AVI, some with more or less than 24fps, at start i thought that was the problem, but no. then i tried with .mov, total freeze. They all import successfully, quickly and smoothly. The problem is after, when i play them.

Thanks for your help.
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by BizarKid.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85784

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Your computer is not powerful enough to edit most H.264 or MP4 compressed video formats in real time. An NLE takes considerably more processing power and GPU power to perform well than any game or video player only software that only has to play a single video stream. Compressed video formats require much more processing power than uncompressed or lightly compressed i-frame formats like DNXHD or ProRes.
The other problem with many laptops is trying to edit off a 5400 rpm system drive, which does not have the transfer speed necessary to run two or more video streams at the same time. A dedicated 7200rpm video media drive running on an e-sata port or USB3 port is necessary.
Video freezes in Lightworks are usually a sign of an under powered computer. This program was developed for high powered dedicated hardware systems.
You don't say how much ram your system has or how much dedicated ram your GPU has. Minimum 4GB system ram and minimum 1GB dedicated GPU ram are recommended and that is not nearly enough to edit highly compressed streaming video codecs in real time.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85786

• BizarKid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
Hey david

Thank you for you very precise and fast answer, you rock.

So my RAM is 4GB and GPU nearly 2GB.

But i was afraid my computer could not handle it... What do you think of all this? would i have any solution to make it run OK or have i to change the machine? looks like i'll be stuck with wmm..

(edit: i have a external hd usb3.0 intellipower, would it do the trick?)
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by BizarKid.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85789

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
The usual solution is to transcode compressed video formats to i-frame only edit friendly formats with an external utility like FFMPEG, Eyeframe converter or Cliptoolz Convert (the latter two are GUI front ends for FFMPEG. I have to do that on my laptop, which has two hard drives installed. One is used as a dedicated media drive. It will edit standard def DV camera footage just fine, but struggles with HD formats unless I edit with lower resolution proxies.
Is your GPU ram dedicated or is it shared system ram?
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 3 years, 7 months ago #85790

• BizarKid
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
I guess it's shared. i putted an edit in my last message, didn't see your answer. got an external hd that may be better, if i use it it may do the trick, i'll try tomorrow. thanks for your advice, i don't understand anything, but i'll do my researches...

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163243

• Hughsg5
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
I am having the same problem as the first guy but I have good enough specs. What should I do?

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163245

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
First, what you shouldn't do is raise a three year old thread. Lightworks has changed a lot in the mean time. Any answers given here may no longer be appropriate.

But before anyone can help you we need to know something about your computer and more importantly, something about your media. You should read this thread to see what is needed and how to obtain and post it.

Then I feel sure that someone will be more than happy to offer you some assistance.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 5 months ago #171746

• Neex101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hi guys,

Lightworks offers a very good and simple solution here: "proxies".

Your problem

Playing back a final preview, when using modern HD footage and probably with all kinds of special FX layers, is simply too demanding for most modern domestic computers. Surprising, in this day and age, but true! I thought my new machine was good until I had to make a video this week, and the poor thing just stalled whenever I tried any kind of preview. It was fine to export, since it could work in its own time, but the visual real-time editing was a nightmare.

The solution:

Don't be scared of the word "proxies". If you don't have a super-computer, proxies are your friend. Proxies are simply LOW-res copies of your original HIGH-res footage. If you tell Lightworks to use proxies, Lightworks will generate copy of your HD footage and save it internally as a LOW-res copy. The copy will be about 10x smaller than your original. How does this help? Well, when you're editing, and trying to work with previews in real time, Lightworks will simply show you the LOW-res versions. Which your machine will be able to handle in real time (ie. no stalling). You will notice that the preview quality is poor, but that doesn't matter because it's rolling nicely, even with SFX on. But, when you're done and happy everything is in the right place, and you want to export, Lightworks simply uses the original footage files to ensure that the final output is as good as your original HD quality. Awesome

How to enable proxies

Simple. Go to where all your clips are shown in the project, highlight the one's you'll be working with, then right-click on your selection. Look for Media, then click Make proxies. The creation of the additional LOW-res copies may take a while (you'll see a progress bar). When it's done, restart Lightworks and you should notice a huge improvement.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Shown here, "Make proxies" is available. But if it is greyed out please refer to the post after this for some help.

Note

Some original formats are not eligible for proxy treatment. If that affects you, please check the next post - the author details solutions.

Whilst this approach completely nails performance issues, you may run into another issue further down the line. Using 'proxies', by definition, means that your previews will be low-res. Which, if you start getting pro could be an issue if you want to do fancy stuff like color correction etc. The solution at that point, is called 'transcoding'. Same idea, but instead of Lightworks creating LOW-res copies, it creates SAME-res copies but expanded into much larger files which Lightworks can read easier (without decompression). Which means it can run previews easier, and display the quality. However, transcoding takes a way longer time to do (it's making larger files) and takes up heaps more space (read 10x more space), so if you're just starting out, I'd leave learning about transcoding until you start getting a bit more pro.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Neex101.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 5 months ago #171753

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for investing your time in writing and posting such a well understandable explanation about proxies.

Please allow adding two points.

First, not all kind of video material is suitable to be used with internal proxies or to be imported via transcode. Only material recorded in standard and constant frame rate is properly supported. Recordings in variable frame rate mode VFR or with non-standard frame rates can cause sync issues between picture and sound. Mediainfo is software frequently used to inspect technical details. If it shows Frame Rate mode:" "Variable", the material should be converted with third party software to a suitable format. Eyeframe Converter is frequently used by members of this forum to do that and a commonly used format is MPEG2 I-Frame HD, the default of Eyeframe Converter (other formats, like ProRes or DNxHD are suitable as well).

Second, when opening context from "Filter.Clips" and both, "Media.Make proxies" and "Media.Delete proxies", are greyed out, something is wrong with import or proxy creation. It might indicate that you've encountered a known issue of V14.0. I'd suggest installing V14.5 to see if it fixes the issue.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 5 months ago #171755

• Neex101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Thanks, I learnt a lot from your post, cheers for the proactive troubleshooting! I've edited my post to point to your notes.
Last Edit: 5 months ago by Neex101.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 5 months ago #171757

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
It's always nice when the first post from a new user is a solution, not a problem. Welcome.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 5 months ago #171758

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Neex101,

I felt the need to comment possibly misleading content. I hope that my interference will not stop you from writing similar posts or starting discussions about tutorials.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: video freezes, not possible to use lightworks 5 months ago #171759

• Neex101
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
All good - makes it stronger, I expect nothing less!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top